Personal View site logo
US: Half of US jobs will vanish
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • IDC forecasts global spending on robotics and related services to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17% from more than US$71 billion in 2015 to US$135.4 billion in 2019. The new spending guide measures purchases of robotic systems, system hardware, software, robotics-related services, and after-market robotics hardware on a regional level across thirteen key industries and fifty-two use cases.

Not surprisingly, worldwide robotics spending is dominated by the discrete and process manufacturing industries, which represented 33.2% and 30.2% of total spending in 2015, respectively. Resource, healthcare, and the transportation industries are the next three largest commercial industries in terms of overall robotics spending. Process manufacturing and healthcare are two of the fastest growing industries, with worldwide spending in each forecast to nearly double by 2019.

• And the men who hold high places / Must be the ones who start / To mold a new reality / Closer to the heart (sounds cooler when he's singing with electric guitars)

• Well sir, detrimental political philosophies put into practice can have real and dramatic consequences. To suggest otherwise is to play the ostrich. Have fun in collectivist paradise.

It is not about collectivist or individualist. It is about idealistic view on reality. Idealistic view sometimes is very attractive and providing easy "solutions" and personalized blame. Such view also rejects nature and society laws and reality - providing instead good looking mirages. Austrian guys are one of the good example of idealists who always state that we need "free market", "honest small business" and "individualism" and this will lead to prosperity. Something like abstract 2 meter size spherical apple risen without any apple tree in absolute vacuum without any possible illness. Sounds attractive but if you think - it is joke, and of course this people are paid, same as religion proponents to keep things exactly as they are - offering instead of real solutions abstract fantasies.

• Well sir, detrimental political philosophies put into practice can have real and dramatic consequences. To suggest otherwise is to play the ostrich. Have fun in collectivist paradise.

• Well, it certainly isn't up to chance, either. We have (or once had) the power as a self-governed populace to enact policies to enhance and empower the individual to spur self-actualization and find self worth through work of their preference (i.e., entrepreneurial small business formation encouraged by incentivized creativity and innovation).

You mean that in childhood you believed in Santa and now his place is taken by "power as a self-governed populace" tales? :-)

Thing that you wrote is idealistic and wrong view, unfortunately. Fully ignoring fundamental things.

It is same as blaming tribe leaders for famine if it was three drought years. It is always best to get off idealistic glasses and look at materialistic reality around you.

• "This is that energy almighty can do :-) Nothing to do with gods and devils."

Well, it certainly isn't up to chance, either. We have (or once had) the power as a self-governed populace to enact policies to enhance and empower the individual to spur self-actualization and find self worth through work of their preference (i.e., entrepreneurial small business formation encouraged by incentivized creativity and innovation).

Is that to suggest these capitalistic, "power to the people" policies would be a panacea for everyone? Certainly not. But I would suggest that consistent enactment of these individual-empowering policies would have over time led to more individual prosperity and less dependency (a very good thing, in my humble opinion).

Instead, we have turned freedom and opportunity on its head in favor of an over-regulated and politicized system of designed dependency largely because it empowers the politicians in a perverse pyramid scheme. Absolute power corrupts absolutely and the politicians love showering in it. Now we have a dependent populace by nefarious political design and resultant social unrest and upheaval will be the standard moving forward.

JFK in 1960 ran the entire federal government on $105 billion dollars. That's around $850 billion in today's currency. Instead, we have a federal government spending many times that amount with no end in sight. This enslaves the entire nation.

Nice job, Washington. Keep pounding nails into our collective coffin!

• @babypanda

Propaganda always work :-) Just no need to show big picture :-)

U.S. factory payrolls have grown for four straight years, with gains totaling about 650,000 jobs. That's a small fraction of the 6 million lost in the previous decade, but it still marks the biggest and longest stretch of manufacturing increases in a quarter century.

If you do not account for population increase and how many adjustment good jobs had been lost, it can even look optimistic. Also no need to describe in article that sometimes transferred lots of jobs that had absolute no economics effects (except manager bonuses). Today it is also same, many of this companies got tax reductions for adding jobs (of course tax reductions are big :-) )

• Lower cost manufacturing will increasingly be overseas and will stay that way as long as "free trade" allows it.

After decades of exodus, companies returning production to the U.S. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-returning-jobs-20140513-story.html#page=1

• Seems to me that in the U.S., the work force has moved from once being agrarians to skilled industrialists and now finally to low-paying service-oriented workers.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6770/the-servant-economy-where-americas-elite-is-sending-the-middle-class-/p1

We have gone from the land of the opportunistic free to the land of the enslaved and beholden.

This is that energy almighty can do :-) Nothing to do with gods and devils.

• Seems to me that in the U.S., the work force has moved from once being agrarians to skilled industrialists and now finally to low-paying service-oriented workers. Lower cost manufacturing will increasingly be overseas and will stay that way as long as "free trade" allows it. Now, 93 million Americans aren't working (who wants a job that requires one to ask customers if they would "like fries with that)?? There are no short-term solutions in sight as politicians kowtow to special interests and seek ongoing favor from a dependent electorate by promising them crumbs that fall off the federal table. The pressure on the federal government to "take care" of this increasingly non-productive society will be huge and will bankrupt us sooner rather than later. (We already have $127 trillion in UNFUNDED LIABILITIES on the long-term books!!) There isn't enough money in circulation to begin to tackle that debt! We have gone from the land of the opportunistic free to the land of the enslaved and beholden. Sad, indeed.

Bob Dylan was apparently right...

"You're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed;

You're gonna have to serve somebody...

It may be the devil or it may be the Lord;

But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

• I'm pretty sure most women would take Brad Pitt over Bill Gates....your argument fails.

You mean that woman originated from gods directly, instead of monkeys?

• I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is. -- Zoolander

• I'm pretty sure most women would take Brad Pitt over Bill Gates....your argument fails.

• I'm pretty sure that the market value of "cute and popular" beat "smart" a while quite a ago.

Unpopularity of smart is normal :-) As monkeys in overcrowded situation are always consumed almost entirely by building and rebuilding hierarchies, fights, sex and food (if they can get to it). Monkeys low in hierarchy want to at least behave (in our case - look and buy things) like top ones.

Advanced knowledge and ability to do new stuff is that separates humans from monkeys.

• I'm pretty sure that the market value of "cute and popular" beat "smart" a while quite a ago.

• @brianl "it'll be more important to be cute and popular than smart"... are you talking about robots or humans?

• Essentially, in the future, it'll be more important to be cute and popular than smart.

• I don't care what the geeks say, I ain't getting in no airplane flown by a fucking iPad and I don't want my kidney transplant done by Robby the fucking robot.

• I have so many conflicting thoughts about this movement. The findings seem generally credible.

Improvements in productivity have always been about doing more work with less human labor. At the early stages that sounds quite benign and beneficial to all. However, eventually, ever-increaing productivity means that humans will not be required for most of the work that gets done.

Some problems with this: Someone will own the robots and digital assistants performing all that work. Also, there is a real value for people to perform meaningful work that contributes value. For many people this contributes a sense of value and belonging.

• May be it is the future some drug addicted idiot had in his mind :-)

I don't know who these guys are.... maybe junkies?

http://www.fastcompany.com/3046332/the-new-rules-of-work/what-work-will-look-like-in-2025

WHAT WORK WILL LOOK LIKE IN 2025

Anderson says some believe leaps in innovation will "flip the world from an era of scarcity to a time of abundance, predicting unlimited energy, food, clean water, and increasing human-life extension," she says. Machines could carry out tasks while programmed intelligence could act as our "digital agents" in the creation and sharing of products and knowledge. Hello, Jetsons.

Brynjolfsson also thinks that technology has the potential for "shared prosperity," giving us richer lives with more leisure time and freedom to do the types of work we like to do. But that’s going to require collaboration and a unified effort among developers, workers, governments, and other stakeholders.

• It is scientific data that you do not like, obviously :-)

sorry, I don't have time to read the entire article. does it take into account that new technology will create new and different types of jobs?

• Well, robots working for free is a great thing for humanity as a whole. It is just some generations inbetween that will suffer while the system changes.

• Jobs have always been made obsolete through technology but then newer high IQ tasks often replace them

It is not true :-) All the things described are accompanied by mass production and automatization. You do not need more high IQ jobs for this if you maintain same output, you need less. Illusion existed because of exponential growth.

A future of leisure and ease where task were done around us by robots?

May be it is the future some drug addicted idiot had in his mind :-)

• Im in two minds. Definitely some jobs will disappear with robots AI ect but this process is nothing new. Jobs have always been made obsolete through technology but then newer high IQ tasks often replace them. I agree we may already be in a situation where The West is really doing nothing, just consuming products and moving data around in some form or another. But I also believe in new jobs, even if robots take over a ton of people will need to maintain, design, sell, build robots....or at least the robots that make the robots. ;)

The other side is the reality is the West has stopped being the factory of the world and so bets are off on what the West looks like once this reality becomes more obvious. We already have a lot of long term unemployed as it is....

Plus isn't this the future that was dreamed about? A future of leisure and ease where task were done around us by robots? I mean as long as robots do all the work that frees us to do something we want. The question is how well and by what means will wealth and products created by automation be distributed in such a brave new world?