Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • Would this new Speed Booster also work on my old GH2 as well?

• @Brian_Siano

It will, most probably, but will need FF lenses :-)

• Big choice, this. I could buy MFT cine lenses, or use a speed booster to use Nikon glass... cheap and good quality, but without cine gearing.

• This is great news. I wish Metabones had told me this months ago when I asked about the rumors of a specific GH4 SB. They responded that they already had a MFT SB! 'emoticon (smash head against a wall)' lol.

@Brian_Siano I use manual AIS Nikkors (have had them from back in the day) just be aware they usually need to be stopped down 1 stop for best performance and focus backwards from all other lenses out there. This is a PITA if you are not used to it. Nikkor AI lenses have a longer focus throw, I would go for them if I were to have a do over, or go for newer AF G lenses, if I needed them for stills (to make $$$). Manual focus lenses for paid stills jobs is not a great situation to put yourself in.

If you can live with the reversed focus draw backs, it's a great mount to be invested in. If you ever see a follow focus with 2 stacked gears, this is one set up for Nikkor's reversed focusing issue. I have only seen one a tech at CSC in NYC modified using and Arri FF ($$$) and a cheap indian FF. Oh, and also Lanparte: http://www.lanparte.com/html/138.html

The more modern G lenses are better wide open. I use the new Nikkor 24-120 f4 G (full frame lens) on a MB MFT SB and get good results. Since the lens has a constant aperture, there is no exposure shift when zooming.

Also there is a guy on ebay selling nice seamless rings for these & many lenses: http://www.ebay.com/usr/helicoptersean?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2754

Despite owning 2 of them I never shoot with a FF anymore, I just use peaking on the GH4.

• More info: http://metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPNFG-m43-BM2

May not be optimal for the GH2 (see chart): image

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 11.04.20 AM.jpg
    809 x 1044 - 220K
  • Here is a 5 page pdf that goes into more MTF data about the XL 0.64 image

Metabones_Speed_Booster_XL_0.64x_Press_Release_5Jun2015-2.pdf
  • funny...everybody's selling their m43 metabones ! Shame the ef version doesn't have af. Metabones should partner with kipon...or not. Kipon is suspiciously late to their af adapter show. Yet if and when it does come, the metabones xl and the kipon could really favor alot of canon mounted class being sold for m43 cameras.

• I'd love to see a comparison between cameras-- get a Nikon or Canon lens, and show us how the image looks on those cameras as well as a Speed Booster-equipped Panasonic camera. Anyone ever do this?

• Anyone have experience pairing the Tamron 28-300 with the S or Xl version of the metabones speedbooster?

• Sadly doesn't look like they'll be doing an FD version.

Metabpnes replied to me... " Sorry that we don’t have schedule for developing this adapter recently.

Your message will be forwarded to our Developing team for reference."

• Where do I get the: Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds T Speed Booster XL 0.64x in Germany?

• The Metabones website lists nine resellers in Germany: http://www.metabones.com/resellers

• Caldwell Photographic Inc. and Metabones® are pleased to announce a new Speed Booster ULTRA series of focal reducing adapters designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras. Like the ULTRA series for Sony E-mount, the new Speed Booster ULTRA m43 uses an advanced 5-element 4-group optical design incorporating ULTRA-high index tantalum-based optical glass. However, the new design is specifically optimized for the Micro Four Thirds sensor and filter stack, and as a result achieves an astonishing level of performance that sets a new standard for focal reducers.

Like the revolutionary original Metabones Speed Booster® announced in January 2013, the Speed Booster ULTRA m43 has a magnification of 0.71x, and so it effectively reduces the crop factor of mirrorless Micro Four Thirds mount cameras from 2.0x to 1.4x. However, the new ULTRA design makes very effective use of exotic materials at the furthest limit of glassmaking technology, and as a result is almost perfectly corrected for use with all fullframe SLR lenses regardless of aperture. The Speed Booster ULTRA m43 will also work extremely well with many DX and APS-C format lenses provided the image circle of the lens is large enough. Optical performance of the new Speed Boosters is so good that the MTF of any lens attached to it will be improved. Even the latest generation of ULTRA-high performance SLR lenses such as the Zeiss Otus series can be improved by adding a Speed Booster ULTRA m43.

• Cant update mine to 1.7 using a Mac . Tried 2x with different cables in a Mac book pro 13 .

• Metabones® adds phase-detect autofocus (PDAF) support for Olympus OM-D E-M1 and Sony Alpha 7R2 to its EF-mount Speed Boosters and Smart Adapters through firmware update version 1.8, available from Metabones' web site for download.

Free of any potential misalignment issues, on-sensor phase-detect autofocus is capable of attaining excellent accuracy. Overall, phase-detect autofocus offers a significant performance improvement over contrast-detect autofocus, and for shorter focal length lenses the autofocus speed approaches that found in digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) cameras. Performance, features and limitations of our solution are comparable to other on-sensor PDAF systems involving adapted DSLR lenses on mirrorless cameras, such as A-mount lenses on Sony Alpha 7R2 with LA-EA3 adapter, Four Thirds System DSLR lens on Olympus OM-D E-M1 with MMF-3 adapter or Canon SLR lens on EOS M3 with Mount Adapter EF-EOS M.

• whats the focal length of the 18-35 on the gh4 with the .64x speed booster?

• @jclmedia 18x0,64= 11,52 35x0.64= 22,40

• I have the nikon xl and it is very good. It's a lot cheaper than the canon one. Same optics, but only nikon. And I have several nice AIS lenses. My RJ booster was nothing near as good.

• does the EF version Have IS for all lenses? or ? Im deciding between nikon and ef mount atm.

• @jclmedia Metabones EF adapters (including Speed Boosters as well as glassless Smart Adapters) will have IS for all EF-mount lenses that have the IS feature. If the lens doesn't have IS (e.g. the Sigma 18-35/1.8) then it won't have IS on the adapter either. Similarly, vintage manual focus lenses attached to an EF adapter via an intermediate adapter (e.g. Nikon Ai, AiS, etc.) will not have IS.

• Ok i understand now, I want to get the sigma 18-35 since it so fast and sharp but with no IS I might be better off getting a canon or tamron lens with IS that has a Fstop of 1.7 or faster? I also plan on getting a gimbal so I guess a smaller lens would be better right?