Personal View site logo
Windows 10 aka Windows Total Horror!
  • 80 Replies sorted by
  • Or just have a dedicated machine to connect to the internet that runs a "safe" operating system like XP

...that's my strategy , with automatic updates off and clean temp files often. But we all know the ghost is still in the machine. And xp is getting more difficult to run browsers. But you know they know everything we look at. Now they're just revealing they know what we're shopping for....but they know every article, and our predisposition against them knowing. And apparently they don't give a shat that we don't like it. Just look what they're shoving down our throats with 10. It'll eventually require a change of lifestyle.

• If you are up to the task of installing and managing a Linux system and then dealing with your now limited options for some kinds of software you can handle running and operating Windows, any version, in a way that makes you feel secure.

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

• Or just have a dedicated machine to connect to the internet that runs a "safe" operating system like XP or (I assume) Windows 7.

• Been thinking about that Ralph. If I knew I could get all my software to run under it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Or use Linux.

• @peternap - yeah ms ....and apple aren't to be trusted. Makes one wonder exactly how much they do know already. I think we're fast approaching the point of no return, where we either allow all this to happen....or disengage completely from digital discourse.

• @kurth I'm staying with 7 too but it has its problems also. I switched out my hard drive and started getting nasty messages about using pirated software because the serial number didnt match. Had to find a hack to get rid of it, then they stopped sending updates. Had to find a way around that too.

• I'll stick with 7 ! It might say it's data mining is turned off, but are you sure ? They might say it's not in the final release but are you sure ? In light of what's been revealed the last couple of years, I'd guess this is highly suspicious programming done in cooperation with nsa.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2692435/will-windows-10-tps-spooky-data-collection-carry-over-to-final-version.html

“When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage,” reads the privacy statement.

Specifically, Microsoft may collect “voice information” when people use “speech-to-text” features, file information about files that users open, and “typed characters,” meaning text that users compose. Microsoft explains that these bits of potentially very personal and sensitive information are collected to improve, respectively, speech processing, application performance and auto-complete and spell check features. But the disclosures must surely read to privacy advocates like a Stephen King short story.

“Many features that transmit data to Microsoft are enabled automatically. You may not have the option to turn off the transmission of data for certain features in the Program. To stop the transmission of all data, you must completely uninstall the Program from all of your devices,” the statement reads.

• But you can turn off many of these features to prevent this data gathering?

You can, for now. But most people do not know and won't do anything :-)

But time can come with some agreement update where they will require you to share information if you still want to use software (otherwise updates won't be longer delivered to you). Take my word.

• Microsoft’s new service agreement states that,

“WE WILL ACCESS, DISCLOSE AND PRESERVE PERSONAL DATA, INCLUDING YOUR CONTENT (SUCH AS THE CONTENT OF YOUR EMAILS, OTHER PRIVATE COMMUNICATIONS OR FILES IN PRIVATE FOLDERS), WHEN WE HAVE A GOOD FAITH BELIEF THAT DOING SO IS NECESSARY TO.”

CORTANA ALSO LEARNS ABOUT YOU BY COLLECTING DATA ABOUT HOW YOU USE YOUR DEVICE AND OTHER MICROSOFT SERVICES, SUCH AS YOUR MUSIC

But you can turn off many of these features to prevent this data gathering?

• Windows 10 now comes with the telemetry feature enabled by default which collects all sorts of user activity and sends it to Microsoft.

Lots and lots of things Microsoft like to know about you. They also like to use it and sell it or provide to anyone who pays or have authority.

• Windows 10 will perfectly work on 1024x600 screens. More cheap stuff coming :-)

• The developer community is pretty savvy and I have to believe something like this would be found (and the company knows this).

Yet, it is step far ahead of previous previews. And I think that if they offer free version with such "features" and rise 2x-3x price for current one - around 90% of people will choose free one.

• This seems like something they are tracking in the Tech Preview in order to track usage patterns, problems, etc. I doubt this is something that would be done or tolerated in a production release. The developer community is pretty savvy and I have to believe something like this would be found (and the company knows this).

I was suspicious of this release after seeing the direction the company was going with Windows 8, but this looks like a return to sanity. Fingers crossed.

• Is Microsoft watching your every move on the recently-released Windows 10 Technical Preview? That may be the case thanks to portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the company is using a keylogger, among other methods, to obtain information about the software's performance.

Microsoft also revealed that when users open a file, the company collects information about the file, the program that opens the file and how long it takes to open said file.

Surprise. Something tells me that quite soon we'll see free Windows (for every computer, not tablets) but with special protection from terrorists and pedophiles (always works best) that will store copy of each created file in cloud for inspection and will monitor your usage patters, files and texts to check if you think about anything wrong.

• I'm one of those guys still clinging to Windows 7. I'm rather glad I held out and didn't upgrade to 8.1. That said, Windows 10 looks like a worthy upgrade!

• This actually looks like a good improvement!

• I love it to bits! If a Technical Preview is this polished imagine what the RTM will be like. I installed on a touchscreen laptop. The funny thing is I'm using touch a lot more than before, now that the full "Metro" is gone.

This is what W8 should have been all along. OS X feels old school now. Wait, it is old school.

• Technical preview download link

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=510225

Key - NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

• It'll be called Windows 10, shock is not smaller than previous name.

• The original 7200 rpm 750 Gb HDD was very slow and I am glad I ditched it in favour of an SSD drive. Normally I would install the drive myself but ASUS would not honour the warranty if I did that so I had to pay them to do it for me which was disappointing. I also had the RAM upped to 16 Gb at the same time.

It runs far better now with Win7 and is a match for my desktop quad core PC (actually it probably eats it in terms of performance) and CS5 Production Premium is running on it very well.

I dont like running OS upgrades and prefer to do a clean install and image my drives when I have them setup to my satisfaction...

I will consider upgrading to Win9 if I can install in desktop only mode and I can get a proper installer disk from them rather than allowing only an upgrade from my Win8 install...if not MS wont be getting any of my money from now on.

They are alienating a large percentage of their user base by looking to push the cloud computing model that Apple/Google have developed. I am simply not interested in this type of 24/7 online computing...call me old school but I much prefer to have control of what goes on my system and when it gets "updated".