Personal View site logo
Which patch for GH2 in 2015?
  • Hello,

I am new to this and trying to sort through all the threads to pick a hack. Having trouble sorting out which to use. I have a 95mb/s 64 GB SanDisk. I want to get the highest bitrate/quality for cinematic look, but don't want anything that pushes so hard it is not stable. I mostly want to shoot 1080p 24fps, but some higher frame rate options would be great as well.

Also, I got this camera on ebay and it had 1.1 firmware. I installed a previous hack from these forums and followed a tutorial which showed how to add the hack to a 1.0 firmware. Is that what I should do? Or do these hacks work when patching 1.1 firmware? I realize a lot of the discussion has moved on to the newer cameras, but what is a good combo of Firmware and hack for a GH2 in 2015? Recommendations?

One final question which was not clear: what should I expect to see different in the menu after the hack? How do I tell if it is applied correctly?

Thanks!

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Any hack should be stable with your 95mb/s card as all hacks are stable with my 45mb/s card, so don't worry about stability. Also the firmware v1.1 works, pretty much everyone uses it.

As for hacks you should probably look at driftwood's things. I would recommend Moon T8 as it seems to be very good, high bitrate, lots of detail and not very noisy.

To know if the hack installed you need to go to movie mode on the top dial and a menu should appear straight away with options like 24p cinema(which you should use for best image quality) and things, if there is an option called hbr/high bit rate(30/25p mode) then you have installed the patch successfully.

Also make sure to format your card with sdformatter(overwrite format) otherwise you won't be able to record longer than a few minutes.

• Great info, thanks! SO I followed your instructions and it seems to be working. Quick question, you say I should select 24p Cinema, which I did. What does the hbr option offer?

Thanks again!