Personal View site logo
Moire
  • Probably the wrong catagory so please move it if necessary. I was hoping 4k was going to cut down on moire but it really hasn't. The AX100 gets stunning video but I still have the psydillic shirt (power line, building edge, etc) issue and can't figure how to correct it in post. I'm using cs5.5 mostly. Any guidance.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • @Peternap so anoying, isn't it? You could try a rockglass filter. We used to use them when the GH1 came out, oh so many years ago.... http://caprockdev.com/antimoire.htm

• What are you diplaying it on? I noticed moire and aliasing dropped down when I got a 4k monitor. Scaling can be a problem.

• Could be scaling but I'm also getting it when I shoot in 1080p. I'm seeing it now on my laptop.

• You'll have to dial sharpness down to -3 to stop aliasing (stepping on diagonals, power lines etc). Moire patterning (the moving rainbows on shirts) will happen with any camera.

• No sharpness settings in the AX 100 mrbill.

• I hate moire. Before I traded in my Canon 7D for the GH1 (GH13) I went to caprock in New Jersey, USA and bought 3 different strength filters. They worked a little but the heaviest filter I bought still made things very diffuse on an already soft image on the 7d. The GH1 was much better and I never used the Caprock filters again.

Today I am very happy. I shoot with the GH4 exclusively in 4k mode and scale it to fit a 1080 timeline in Adobe Premiere. I haven't seen any moire in a long time :-)

• Here's something to check - when working in Premiere be sure the program monitor is set to either 100% or 50%. If it's set to 'Fit', you could very well see aliasing as a result of the non-integer scaling.

• Thanks Ralph. It is set to fit.