Personal View site logo
Sony A7 and A7r , FF gems, like GH3 but FF
  • 261 Replies sorted by
  • I was impressed by the results. The A7 did manage low light conditions very well. Up to 3200 ISO the image remains clean enough, while at 6400 and especially 12800 noise is visibile. It isn’t a fine and grainy noise but more digital, which can make it less pleasant in certain shots. The camera also tends to soften the image a little bit and the noise reduction is sometime aggressive. I like the colours of the standard profile, the skin tone rendering and the sharpness.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2014/06/30/shooting-in-the-tunnel-of-memories-using-the-sony-a7-for-video/

• The Sony a7 and a7R: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide

This book is a guide to using the Sony a7 and a7R, the first full frame, autofocus system cameras. At half the weight of a full frame DSLR, they are easy to carry for photographers on the go. The less-expensive a7 has a 24-megapixel sensor for shooting rapidly changing scenes; the a7R has a 36-megapixel sensor designed for ultimate image sharpness. Both use advanced image-processing algorithms and can use any manufacturer’s lens when matched with the appropriate adapter. The electronic viewfinder gives the photographer an accurate preview of the image, ensuring the capture of technically excellent photographs by preventing mistakes in color temperature, depth of field, and exposure. All features of the a7 and a7R are covered, including automatic stitching to create panoramas, and multi-shot noise reduction that allows the use of extremely high ISOs. This book guides the photographer in using both the camera’s automated features and manual controls to take photographs that are a unique reflection of his or her creative personality.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sony-a7R-Unofficial-Quintessential/dp/1937538494

• sigma_23.jpg
    597 x 390 - 31K
  • Hi, I'm wondering if someone has succeed to patch the japanese locked menu to english on a7 series ? Is there a tool like PTool for Sony camera ?

• I've noticed something curious, these two cameras are great references in still, almost nobody uses or are leaders in video, maybe only perception.

I've been tempted to acquire the body of the A7 which is now below US $ 1,000 and I fixed a lot of still, but I make videos and shorts and maybe in video arent ideal camera. Apparently the A5100/A6000 (APSC) do better job in video.

Am I wrong?

• I got an A7 body as a present.

Some suggestion on best settings for video?

• OK, From what I see I'm the only one trying to use this piece of s**t

• OK, From what I see I'm the only one trying to use this piece of s**t

LOL. Nope, but this guys are too busy shooting things, not much talks.

A7 is very popular body as can be get affordable, especially refurbished used now.

I do not think it has super specific settings for video, you can check previous pages, they have lots of references.

• @LongJohnSilver, good question. Im interested in the A7, a full frame relatively cheap, a monster in still, but I dont get enough reliable references about video performance.

• Interesting test with te A7II:

I put this video together to showcase what the Sony A7ii can and can't do. Ill start off by saying I absolutely adore this camera for stills and on the fly video shooting. The video out of this camera is significantly better than any Canon DSLR or Nikon (Aside from the Canon 1DC) but has two major issues from what I can tell. Moire and Aliasing. If you're going to buy this camera for all your video needs then please reframe from pointing this at any building. Its not as bad as the Canon 6D but still really bad. Im quite confused by why the camera has such a hard time reading the sensor properly by that i mean line skipping. On paper this camera and the A7s have near the same video specs. Yes the A7s only has 12 megapixels and the A7ii has 24 so its easier for the A7s but the body is fairly bigger in the A7ii. You think sony would be able to have the mkii do a full sensor read out as well as have enough room to cool the sensor. Im not sure if this is a potential firmware upgrade that could fix this issue, one can only hope.

Aside from those two things the camera is one fancy little machine. The Slog2 took some time to get used. I played around with several different luts and in camera settings to find what really worked for me. In the end i just found that exposing +2 stops over was the sweet spot for the camera. Almost every frame in here was shot using Slog2 and graded with Vision Color "Osiris" lut. Absolutely adore their presets! The Dynamic Range from what i can tell is fantastic in Slog2 and even PP6. Haven't really explored any other preset or changed much in camera to see how well it holds. Shooting in Slog2 on this camera requires a native ISO of 1600 so heavy NDs will be needed. Now for lenses i only have one Sony lens and thats the 28-70 kit. Once i bought this camera my legacy glass addiction went through the roof. I think i used the kit lens on two shots out of this whole thing. There is a mixture of legacy glass and Canon EF throughout. To name a few...

Canon FD 135mm f2.5 S.C Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58mm 1.4 Canon 24-105mm f4 Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 135 f2.8 Minolta MD 28mm f2.8

For adapters I use the Fotga MD-NEX, Commelite EF-NEX Autofocus and Fotodiox FD-NEX. They all work perfectly on this system. The Commelite does autofocus but go ahead and and have a few drinks before it locks into place. We will not be seeing a perfect autofocus for Canon lenses until the A7Rii drops. I did try out the Metabones and couldn't justify spending that much money on an adaptor that flickers when dropping down the f stop? Not sure if they have fixed that issue or not but even if so I still would not spend $400 on an adaptor just so I can put my Canon lenses on them. Commelite works like a dream.

Conclusion! The camera is everything I imagined it would be. Perfect photography camera that takes exceptional video. The 5 axis stabilizer built into the sensor is incredible. I N C R E D I B L E. Paired with a Sony FE OSS lens and you will be all set for taking photos at an 8th of second handheld with sharp results. Im sure you can go lower I haven't tested but shooting at an 8th looks like I was on a pair of sticks. The built in Peaking makes it so much easier to gain perfect in focus shots manually. So using legacy glass for me is like using an autofocus lens sometimes. Its that spot on. I could go on and on about the PROS of this camera but frankly its past my bedtime and need to stop. To sum it up...Sony has sold me on their Innovative journey with these cameras. I consider myself a fan and looking forward to seeing what else they pull out. Can't wait for the A7smkii with the built in 5axis and internal 4k. Maybe even 10bit recording. Now I'm asking for too much.

Music by Jordan Casey titled "Young"

Dragonfly Productions

• I think he didn't test the APS-C mode for video. As far as I can tell from the specs, it shouldn't have any moiré problems with that size and after all, it's like S-35.