Personal View site logo
Gnarbox: mobile storage / editing solution
  • Interesting, but I don't know if it is very practical.

Inside the GNARBOX is a quad-core CPU, an 8-core GPU, 4GB of RAM, 128GB of flash storage, 6-8 hours of battery life, and 300Mb/s Wi-Fi. The shell of the GNARBOX is an IP67 enclosure that’s dustproof, sandproof, shockproof, temperature-resistant, and waterproof down to 1 meter.

http://petapixel.com/2015/07/16/gnarbox-offload-edit-and-share-your-photos-and-videos-without-a-laptop/

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Note - it is prohibited to make topic consisting from link only.

• Its an interesting concept, I always wanted to be able to edit my stuff in the field with something lightweight, like iPad.

The thing which confuses me is the storage. 120gb of ssd is definitely not enough for anything except like a day of GoPro footage (from 1-2 cameras). So you come to the point that if you want to offload more footage you need a hard drive.

The other thing is editing software. Apple, Abode and Avid are investing huge amounts of money in development of such products, and I don't believe the software which is coming with this box will be any good.

• I always wanted to be able to edit my stuff in the field with something lightweight, like iPad.

but tablets are getting more powerful, aren't they? surface pro is almost there? maybe in a couple of years they will be usable for editing?

• I backed this kickstarter... for me, the editing part of it, i don't really care about... more just the offloading of footage. From my understanding is you can connect a USB hard drive to it (hopefully bus powered) for extra storage, and then use this box to move all the footage onto that drive. My work is primarily shooting weddings and events, and having this instead of my laptop to do on location footage dump and reviews would be fantastic.