Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @caveport ... nothing to apologize for that I can see ... and you're completely right, that in-built 8-bit 4:2:0 situation is the biggest limitation ... which I was essentially referring to. Were it at least 10-bit, it would have more wiggle to the bending ... before breaking up.

• It would be nice to have a V-log internally recorded 8bit file to play with. The download link earlier in this thread is for a shogun recorded file.

• Just played with the V-log download clip in DaVinci resolve. It works very well with the Arri Alexa 3d LUT and also looks great using curves to pull it back into rec709 colour space. It would be nice to have a V-log and Standard profile scene to compare.

• @LPowell It's extremely premature and a big stretch for @balazer to call V-Log "disappointing," it hasn't even been released yet.

Nothing I've seen points to assertions made about color science, color accuracy, etc. You cannot adjust the color profile or contrast when shooting in V-Log L, it is a locked down profile in the camera designed to support working in tandem with the professional Varicam series. That engineering strategy was just confirmed with the release of the DVX200 at NAB.

Ironically, for that reason it is entirely possible (and even likely) that the color science is different from the camera's "standard" color profile. Jordan from TCSTV also confirmed skin tones and overall color appeared to be improved - and my eyes seem to agree with that assertion, it's a very nice image.

IMO, it's in poor taste to offer a "solution" for a problem which doesn't exist... I don't care if it's free or not.

• @Tron

IMO, it's in poor taste to offer a "solution" for a problem which doesn't exist...

LOL, what would you call selling LUTs for an 8-bit "LOG" profile which doesn't exist (yet)...

• @LPowell The video clearly states Cine-D. What are you referring to?

• @shian said -

I have feeling V-log will operate like RAW - it won't have an ISO It'll be fixed at 800, and you'll have to light, ND and expose accordingly.

Interesting as that's the ISO rating Sony have chosen for the A7RII - slog2 native ISO is 800, although whether it's fixed or not, I'm not sure

• When I asked Panasonic rep I'm sure they said iso400 was native on gh4 if you flip the gh4 over to gain rather than ISO gain 0 looks to be the same as ISO 400 to me but just looked at it I.e. Exposure looked the same for same scene. It was a while ago I looked hopefully I remembered correctly :)

• @ LPowell I also think Cine-D is poor, but who is claiming that it is log?

• I downloaded Nick Driftwood's sample V-Log clips to have a play in DaVinci Resolve. I really like what I can do with the images. Much better than I was expecting. Below is the Varicam 35 V-Log profile info. I'm not sure how close this is to the V-Log being used by the GH4, but I think it will be modified to suit the GH4 sensor.

Curve Characteristics.png
    1548 x 1352 - 344K
  • These v-log examples look very good but I am curious why they are exposed to the left leaving so much of the upper part of the curve unused. Normally exposing to the right yields much better quality and less noise. Is this something inherent in the way v-log should work?

• @jspatz i think the one thing users are discovering with this camera is that in order for it to do all the wonderful things it does, that something had to be compromised... and with the GH4 it's shadow response. It does not do well when shadows are underexposed.

• That is my point. Why are these samples exposed so much lower that they could be. The shadows, though not crushed are in the low single digits while the brightest values are in the mid 100s. What prompted those decisions? Is it something about the way vlog works? Would the quality not have been even better with another stop?

• Until I get my hands on it, I won't know. But theoretically I agree.

• Not a single word about vlog yesterday with all the announcements? :/

• It's been a wait that seems to go on forever...LOL...I hope Panny does this soon!...I'd really like to so what Shian does with Vlog when they release it!

• Panasonic New Zealand official twitters Vlog release on GH4 coming in October.

• Panasonic New Zealand official twitters Vlog release on GH4 coming in October.

October 2015? or 2017?

• Thanks for the info @PierreB
    That matches the dvx200 release date..

vlogl.jpg
    1074 x 660 - 178K
  • @PierreB I want to see what I can do with it! I have tried Driftwood's samples and it looks very promising for grading. Shadows still have noise but it is less noticeable after grading.

• Yes...a lot of excitement around this...I'm especialy curious amout recording to my Ninja Blade in10 bit 4:2:2 using Vlog....Shian has already produced amazing footage on a music video with the 4 and this is just going to take it to another level...off topic (sorry VK) the XL speedbooster is the other great enhancement to an already excellent camera!!,,,Exciting time

• Vitaly, you made my day!!

I hope they can increase the setting up to 200mbit in 4k....

• October is waaaay late. If they want their flagship camera to remain slightly competitive, and us their users to maintain a slight advantage having invested in the GH4 then they need to get this V-Log carrot-on-a-stick release ASAP and NOT in October!!!