Personal View site logo
What do you do when 30p looks more 'filmic' than 24p?
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • Oh no, the dreaded filmic look topic. Here's how I see it. 24p has a motion signature Iike celluloid. But some here say it's actually shutter speed. Idk. I double my frame rate. Main thing imo is don't shoot people against white Wall with an on camera light. Make a set, buy kinos, China balls, c stands, flags and esp fresnels. Futz around with that for a while or a week until you get something that looks filmic. Stop filming bushes.

• Actually if you read the OP its about distribution more than a 'filmic' discussion. Thats precisely my point that I'm saying I prefer something that isn't what people do when they want to make footage 'filmic' Its the anti Filmic conventions discussion actually.....

• And being as most theatres these days ARE totally video-projector based, the question is ... what's the frequency rate of those projectors? The local ones here I'm told are like a typical computer monitor ... 60hz the guy thinks. And he takes either 24p or 30p clips for ads to be shown.

I think it would be fun to shoot something for a test in both 24 and 30 ... and see if even I could tell the difference up on the Big Screen. My guesstimate is the 30p would "fit" better ... probably without needing to repeat a frame now & then on a rotating basis.

Now, in a 50hz country, it might be different.

Neil