Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood
    Nick, any chance you can elaborate on your 25p in a 50i wrapper test reports? This seems too good to be true :)
  • GOPSTOPPA patch - released a few pages back on this thread.
    Well so far ive brought it into Premiere Pro on the PC side - cant switch to mac whilst testing with this hackintosh :-) and all seems good.
    Record on 1080i, open with streamparser and you get the choice Native 25p hack or 25p W in a 50i wrapper. All well and good. Proceed to PremierePro.
    Import mts file into PP, immediately it recognises it as 25p (no interpretation required. Place it on a 25p timeline (remember its still in a wrapper) so it will go red on the the 25p timeline.
    Export out and its a very good 25p - so it seems.
    Now as I dont shoot much in 25p anymore I need some of you guys to further test this out on other NLE's etc...
  • @Driftwood
    Are you sure that is'nt a false positive?
    You can get a 25 p in a 50i wrapper stream only with GOPSTOPPA patch or with other ones also?. If so, what is the reason to get this great setting only with GOPSTOPPA?
    Many many thanks for your great work, Driftwood!!
  • @Vitaliy
    What is your opinion about this great news from driftwood?
    Could be a false positive?
  • The only reason this happens is because its GOP1 and a few encoder enhancements. try it - we need more people to confirm.
  • Ok, tonight I will try it
  • I'll check it out Nick. Your GOP1 patches could be a real gamechanger for PAL users if this works out.
  • @Driftwood

Why don't you run a simple test - use a tripod and record a static scene in 24P, 25P and also 50i. Examine the footage. First compare the 24P to the 50i. The 50i should have less vertical resolution. Now compare the 25P. Which one does it match? And you'll have your answer.
  • Cus Im doing some intensive encoder settting tests at the moment. I was hoping (and I did ask this days ago) if someone would test it. Alas, it seems people arent that bothered about getting 25p!!!!
  • I mentioned in the first place it could be a false positive... but you never know. :-)
    Especially as there are a lot of cameras out there doing 25p in a 50 wrapper using 25PsF
  • @Driftwood
    "Why don't you run a simple test - use a tripod and record a static scene in 24P, 25P and also 50i"
    Could you explain me how can I record in 25 P with my GH2? Where is this option? I can't understand it
    Sorry for my poor english.
  • record in 1080i. Thats how you get it.
  • Does it make use of all the pixels, or does it just skips every second line?
    In short: Can it be in any way compared to 24p?
    The settings you are talking about is in post, not in cam? So it will just spit out p in i container?

Ths battery should charge faster to 100%...
  • @Meierhans
    I'm agree with you. It seems that Driftwood' workflow is an ordinary transcode from 50 i to 25 P via export in Premiere.
  • False positive it appears, I'm afraid mate. 24p grab on the left and 25p grab on the right. The 24p grab looks noticeably sharper to me.

Never mind. Thought it was too good to be true :)
    24p.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 833K
    25p.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 579K
  • You see when you normally open up a PAL recording from Stock GH2 in streamparser it asks you 'Is this a native 25p stream?' If you answer yes you get Mode=1080/50i1080/25p W(50i wrapper), if you answer no, you get simply 1080/50i. Which is correct.

With the GOP1 patch if you answer yes to 'Is this a native 25p stream?' you get Mode = 1080/25pH (Native Hack) and if you answer No you now get 1080/25pW (50i Wrapper). So something is definitely playing up!!! But it may well be to do with GOP1 and a few encoder settings Im playing with.
  • @CraftyClown your 24p grab is from ?
  • Remember the GOP1 patch is not 100% QP tuned yet and is pulling back the frame limit too.
  • Both from the GH2 (if that's what you mean?) with Gopstoppa patch. Set it up on the tripod, focused on the sound DVD, recorded a few seconds in 24p movie mode, stopped and switched to 50i mode and recorded a few more seconds, loaded both clips into Premiere and took screen grabs.
  • I haven't had the time to test yet (I hope to try soon enough!) but it looks like you are onto something. Crafty's footage does not look interlaced, however in lower res (which one should expect, I guess! - it would propably require a bit of tweaking to make it perform well).
    It looks like a work-around rather than a perfect solution, but still - as an option it seems to do the trick!
  • @CraftyClown ok cool.Then thats the end of that. We tried :-)
  • Gottaa keep testing these Encoder Settings - they gotta be doing something.
  • cant wait for a better GOP1 if that even possible... ive been blowing some minds down here in FL with quantmebaby good work @driftwood
  • Ive got a GOP1 with top i frames with a very slow cadence issue which Im hoping a future update could sort out, but it probably wont... unless we find another way...
  • @RRRR Yeah certainly more room available for 1080i - at the expense of 720p50.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions