Personal View site logo
Sony A7r II new 4K FF beast with 5 axis stabilizer
  • 376 Replies sorted by
  • From Dpreview:

Sony says the on-sensor phase-detection AF can be used with A-mount lenses using the simpler LA-E3 adapter, rather than the LA-E4 that had an SLT mechanism built in. At the press launch in New York we even got a glimpse of the a7R II autofocusing Canon EF lenses using a Metabones electronic adapter. Focus appeared to be on par with OVF focus on a native Canon body, and the AF experience itself didn't appear to be limited simply because you're using a third party lens (full coverage and tracking are available).

On-sensor phase detection elements cover 45% of the sensor, which may sound small but actually translates to around 67% coverage in each direction. While this is some way behind level of coverage offered on Samsung's NX1 (or even Sony's APS-C cameras), it's still a considerably larger area than that covered by any full frame DSLR's focus sensor.

It also gains an electronic first curtain shutter option to eliminate shutter vibration, which was a problem with the original a7R at longer focal lengths. It also offers a fully electronic silent shutter.'

• If that AF report with Canon glass is true - that might be the biggest improvement and biggest fuck you to Canon :-)

• Super fantastic. where you can download some files native 4k? Thank you.

• All very nice...we are in very exciting times...its just very hard to keep up with the ever moving technology.

I assume most will see these cameras announced and think "well if the specs are this good for the A7RII" I am just going to hold off and wait 6 months to see what the A7S2 will offer instead"

Sadly out of my price range regardless...

• @lmackreath

Well, yes, but...

Sony seems to be heading towards stacked sensors. And reason is simple - bus width is huge. Readout can be made much faster.

But we have an issue - it is certain that sensor based stabs need to go away. As they are already not too good for sensor cooling. And for staked sensor you have weight increase and big increase in importance of heat transfer.

Add to this lack of 4k at 50 and 60 fps, lack of 10bit HEVC. This is features the next generation will offer. Most probably paired with 4K at 480fps mode at top models.

• so better to stay panasonic gh4? to have a veo 4k? Thank you.

• All very nice...we are in very exciting times...its just very hard to keep up with the ever moving technology. I assume most will see these cameras announced and think "well if the specs are this good for the A7RII" I am just going to hold off and wait 6 months to see what the A7S2 will offer instead"

that's the game that manufacturers are playing .... tugging on people's incessant need for (to quote a 4 Non Blondes album title) ... Bigger, Better, Faster, More!

personally, i'm almost getting tired of reading this forum and the constant barrage of new cameras coming out with better specs. it's making me feel like my gear is crap. but i will hold on to the outdated crap i have because money doesn't grow on trees. there's a great skit in The Onion Movie. guy buys a computer and as he's driving back from the computer shop there's an ad on the radio for an updated model.

• personally, i'm almost getting tired of reading this forum and the constant barrage of new cameras coming out with better specs. it's making me feel like my gear is crap. but i will hold on to the outdated crap i have because money doesn't grow on trees.

Well, you can contribute to make it about pictures and movies and ideas, so you won't be so sad and it will ne only small number of topics about cameras. Next thing that you will realize that most people chasing latest and greatest cameras make terrible photos and films.

• Next thing that you will realize that most people chasing latest and greatest cameras make terrible photos and films.

ha ha ha! LMAO. thanks. i needed a good laugh.

Well, you can contribute to make it about pictures and movies and ideas

yeah, i don't know what the hell i'm doing. i'm just a schmuck with a camera.

• I think the A7s II will be 22.1 megapixels, 5760 x 3840. This will allow 4K recording in full frame and also in super35 crop mode because 5760 / 1.5 = 3840. So for video it will use 5760 x 3240 in full frame mode and 3840 x 2160 in Super35 crop mode. The A7s II with 4k recording, stabilizer and Slog2 will be a great camera. I hope Sony give us 200Mbps in 4K for the A7s II.

• This announcement gives me high hopes for the a7s II - these features plus the low light sensitivity will make it THE mirrorless stills camera for video. Add 10-bit output and it's perfect. Well, throw in those high frame rates from the new RX10 too :) Then put it all in a video camera body for under $6000 and decimate the competition.

• Well, throw in those high frame rates from the new RX10 too

I just have bright and sharp images in my head about things most of the owners of this cameras will do with it. And they better stay with their old cameras, we do not need selfies trend ancestor.

• None of my customers are asking me to shoot billboard photos, so I'm hoping the big Sony release pushes Panasonic to serve up a GH5 with oversized BSI sensor, 4K@60P, FHD@240P and V-Log. And keep the price around the $1500 mark.

• I guess that the next gen m4/3 sensors will be BSI (at least if they use Sony tech - don't know if Panasonic have it own sensor factory or use other facilities), but FHD@240p was only possible in the RX10 / RX100 because of the small footprint of the sensor and the embedded DRAM - probably larger stacked sensors will only appear in 2017. FHD@120p I think that is possible.

• but FHD@240p was only possible in the RX10 / RX100 because of the small footprint of the sensor and the embedded DRAM - probably larger stacked sensors will only appear in 2017. FHD@120p I think that is possible.

If you think a little, this statement make not much sense. Whole point of having stacked sensor is to allow fast readouts by making bus very wide and make connection points close to the source. Stacked sensor can really scale much simpler compared to usual sensor if done properly.

Issue here is heat, as you no longer have metal parts cooling thin sensor part, not it is thick and not only, but additional logic and memory add their own heat.

• @MarcioK Well then I'll split the difference with you and agree to 180p :) Glad to see Sony pushing back so forcefully against Panny and Samsung, it means better features from all systems - sooner rather than later.

• No 60p at 4k, No Party (just because my though, the camera it's fantastic anyway). What a wounderful and expensive toy, really. But no party.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I agree with you that stacked sensor make it much more simpler; the problem now is (apart from heat, which I agree too) economical - as BSI sensors were once (only made in smaller sizes until the manufaturing yield / costs are diminished). That why I think that larger stacked sensors will only appear at 2017.

• as BSI sensors were once (only made in smaller sizes until the manufaturing yield / costs are diminished). That why I think that larger stacked sensors will only appear at 2017.

Hoards of stupid premium smartphone buyers already paid for this :-) I mean lion share of BSI and stacked development.

• No color space info? Guess that means 4:2:0. HDMI colorspace info? 4:2:2 maybe? Colorspace for me is way more important than whizz bang.

100mb 4k. Not great. This is yet another camera that needs a 4k recorder to reach its potential. If it was video only, I wouldn't be interested. I need a hybrid to replace my gh2. Still looking.

And Andrew reid has to change his shorts yet again. Every month lately. Specs mean nothing.

• 100mb 4k. Not great. This is yet another camera that needs a 4k recorder to reach its potential. If it was video only, I wouldn't be interested. I need a hybrid to replace my gh2. Still looking.

What is wrong with 100mbit if it is good H.264 ?

• 100mbit can be very good quality.