Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • It is extraordinary how you can find like a campaign against this lens on every forum. You see people telling everyone that it is just some cctv lens with a wide angle adapter, they tell about all the component, how you can assemble it for a very low amount but they decline to fork the money to do so. They are talking about lens formula etc. They should perhaps try to put a wide angle adapter to transform a 50mm nikon into a 24 mm and thus save us hundred of dollars. If you follow their logic we could just adapt a wide angle adapter to make some super fast primes for a fraction of the price. Anybody who knows the quality loss of these adapters would know that it is not the case for this lens.

They talk like this, even if day by day you can see more and more example and reviews that show a very high quality lens. I don't know what is the reason behind this hate campaign, but it is clearly unjustified. It is like $ 300 cheaper than the Olympus, for filmakers using manual focus only it is a god send. Now if anybody can do a diy version at the same quality for one quarter the price as they claim, I am all ears... but until they do so, could they please stop because it is becoming painful and so transparent to see that their are some bias motives.
  • @pingpongcomputer absolutely agree. and the smaller minimal focal length. any wide angle converter would affect the aperture so I don't see any competition here. though 500 is a lot of money indeed
  • it seems to me that the noktor 12mm is better suited to video than any of the panasonic or olympus wide angle m4/3 lenses. manual aperature, mechanical focusing (i assume not by wire), larger filter threads, and a larger lens make it look preferable to me now that the vignetting has been attributed to the nd filter.
    edit: forgot to add dampened, clickless aperature
  • @Rerberg, thank you ...
    found also a review at philip bloom

I'm convinced that glass quality used here is not a cheap CCTV, even watching videos for
    12mm 1.6 , hope they reduce the price or we can get some deal via VK :-)
  • What about Noktor 50mm f/.95 same from SLR-Magic anyone tested ?
  • @sebfarges

Thanks.
    Good comparison.
    Hands shaking slightly distract, otherwise ok.
  • Yes, I'm using Light Craft ND. Thanks for the link :)

The Noktor VS Olympus is now online !

• I can see visible vignetting in the corners on the shoots even without ND. Nothing to disturbing or that that could not be corrected in post.. but still, for such a price I would expect a little more. Maybe they should have gone 13-14 mm without this vignette then... anyhow.. chrismas is coming and I still need some present for myself. ;)
  • >The lens is vignetting due to my 62mm ND filter

You are using Fader ND, right?
    You can look at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/477/-fader-nd-filters-cheap-ones topic here.
    TianYA has very big outside diameter, good for wide lenses.

• The lens is vignetting due to my 62mm ND filter. You should need a 68mm or 72mm with a step up ring.
    In answer of a "c-mount" copy, here is the answer of Andrew Chan, Product Manager of SLR Magic:
    “It is not possible to keep light loss to such a minimal from teleconversion. It would result to soft corners as well. We made a survey on dpreview forum asking what the most wanted lens for
    micro four thirds was. Everyone voted and this was what they have requested for
    us to design. This is an all new lens design and not converted from anything as
    you said. 58mm filter thread was chosen so that there is no lens shading from
    internal flash of the G3 and GH2. The front is large for optical distortion
    correction and large aperture. It is a very common design for MF wide angle
    prime lens.”
    Satay tune Noktor VS Olympus soon online :)
  • slightly misspelled) just want higher quality, like
    Voigtlander, higher build quality, but these look like ccct lens...may I'm wrong.
  • @sebfarges

Thanks.
    I am waiting already :-)
  • Noktor 12mm f/1.6 VS Olympus 12mm f/2 quick test online in 1hour30.... Stay tune ! :)
  • >for some reason, this company is not trusted (

Wrong smell? Bad carma?
  • I would like to Cosina (Nokton) has released a fast wide-angle lens, for some reason, this company is not trusted (
  • @old_eye

Interesting solution for wide lens :-)
  • I use the Oly Zuiko 2,8/17mm with a Ricoh 0,75 x wide conversion lens GW-1, linked by a 37mm UVA-Filter without the glass. That filter gives the right distance for the converter for excellent sharpness. The combination preserves the aperture and the AF of the Oly 17mm giving me a guessed 12mm. The Ricoh GW-1 was bought used and UVA is China made. So it's a very cheap measure - costs me 45 € for the Ricoh and 7 € for the filter. I have to add: it's not my invention - Vivek on GetDPIforum published this more than a year ago. His judgement: the combination results in a lens better corrected than the original Oly 17mm - I can just support. People had the fear, the AF of the Oly would be stressed by the additional weight - after longterm use I can deny - the Ricoh adds only 72 g and is tiny.
  • dont recommend using a WA adapter on the 20mm...will strain the motor.
    But ive used the 14mm f2.5 pancake with canon wd-55 to great use...around 200 quid (14mm lens and adapter)
    I also use the 16mm f2.8 + sony wide adapter on my nex 5n (making it around 12mm)...works great....cost less than 180 quid and is nice and compact.
    Slrmagic are conmen...id rather get the oly 12mm if paying a premium.
    f1.6 isnt such a big deal.
  • Most of the 0.45x WA in the market are only 0.7x. If you know of a true 0.45x adapter let me know. I can go with the 20mm pancake to 14mm using a WA - not wider that that.
  • Great lens, 12mm and 1.6 , also very good quality of image.
    Noktor is getting serious ...
    Noktor != Notkon ?! :-)
    I think the glass quality is much better than a CCTV lenses ...
  • You can find the Kowa 25mm f/1.6 for less than $100. Add a $20 WA adapter and a $10 c-mount to m4/3 adapter and voilà, you got that p.o.s. Noktor 12mm f/1.6, for less than 1/4 of their asking price. It's magic, SLR magic! :)
  • $500 does seem a bit steep for an SLR Magic lens. However the strong vignetting is from the ND filter used by Seb. Not from the lens.
    I would rather buy the Oly 12mm for $200 more. It would probably hold its value a lot better as well.
    However this lens does seem to look more .. hmm filmic??
    Not a bad time to be a m43 user in search of lens choices :)