Personal View site logo
Weird noise issue connecting GH4 to Tascam DR-60D and DR-70D.
  • So I have this weird problem with my GH4 and my Tascam DR-70D (as well as my DR-60D).

When I run an audio source into my GH4 through the microphone jack, it usually works just fine.

However, as soon as I connect my GH4 to either of my Tascams, I get this loud grating noise. It happens regardless of whether I connect to the GH4 via the Camera-Out / Line-Out or the Headphone port on the Tascams. Even weirder, I get the same noise in the GH4 if I plug the cable from its Mic port into the Camera-In / Line-In port on the Tascam.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is some weird electrical problem? I am running both the GH4 and the Tascam off of the same battery supply...

I put together a quick video demonstrating the problem:

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Ok, I tested it using separate batteries, and that was indeed the problem. I get this noise issue any time I have the GH4 and the Tascam plugged into the same battery. Anyone want to take a guess as to how I could resolve this issue, without having to use separate batteries? My rig is about at critical mass.

• Do Tascams take internal AA batteries?

• Sounds like a ground/lift problem. The Riggy has a switch for that, don't know about the Tascam.

• Yeah @matt_gh2 it will take internal AAs, but it eats through batteries like none other.

Is there a way to add a ground to a battery like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111557969893?lpid=82&chn=ps

• Above my skill level. Any electrically-skilled people out there with solution for Sangye?

• I would suggest to try to isolate the current feed from the battery going to the Tascam using a linear regulator (buying and soldering about 5 simple components, total cost roughly $15-$20 or so, probably weigh about 10-20 grams or so). If you can solder things, I can help you with the required schematic and components values.

No guarantee that this will solve your problem though.

• Basically you need to disconnect "lift" the ground from one of the connections. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_lift Seems like you could just solder up a custom mini 3.5mm (1/8") male to male cable without the ground? I am no expert - just throwing ideas out there :) I think you could probably test this by not plugging the mini cable in all the way and seeing if you can get the buzz to disappear momentarily when the +/_ (Tip, Ring) are touching but not the common ground on the sleeve (TRS).

• I'm having the white noise problem with my GH2 and a Tascam DR70D not sure that's the same issue Tascam has not replied to my inquiry on how to fix it.