Personal View site logo
Transcoding and release thoughts for huge bitrate avchd
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat I'm trying it now that thing has enough settings to make my head spin lol..
  • I'm using Premiere Pro CS5, but exporting via Frameserver to MeGui for x264 encoding. So far I'm happier with the results from this workflow vs the built-in Premiere encoders. Have not tried the Mainconcept Plugin which you can purchase.
  • @LPowell Got a quick question about (MainConcept H.264) when your are creating a new project in Premiere Pro CS5 it ask you if you wanna use Mainconcept 5.1 or Mercury Engine for render & playback. From your experience which one is better to use?
  • @TrackZillas
    If you have a fast workstation, the Mainconcept renderer may be just as fast as the Mercury Engine. If not, go with Mercury.
  • @LPowell Thank you soo much Powell appreciate it, I'm trying to render a short clip with mainconcept and it's taking forever let me just add that I'm running on a windows vista system :( should be upgrading tomorrow to win7..
  • Mainconcept.
  • @LPowell i also do color grading in After effects then export in H.264 20Mbps(target bitrate) - 40Mbps (maximum Bitrate). Then i edit in Premier Pro and export again in H.264 20Mbps(target bitrate) - 40Mbps (maximum Bitrate) from Premier Pro.Is that good to have best quality in Vimeo or should i do it differently with higher bitrate exporting or maybe lower if that won't make a difference?

I read you were talking about mainconcept but that works only on PC and i have a Mac so do you have any suggestions of plugins to improve the quality or should i just continu like i'm already doing?

Thanks in advance
  • @Swiss_Boy I puzzled over Vimeo exports a while before giving up and just enabling download of the original. In terms of streaming reliability, most of the time I'd rather watch YouTube 720p than Vimeo 1080p.

• If you desire for some reason, you COULD play the footage out of the camcorder into MXO2 using the HDMI cable, and then you would be capturing to the Matrox MPEG-2 I-Frame HD codec with 4:2:2 color. I have found this to give better results when doing green screen chroma keying, since the GH2 uses 4:2:0 color. Capturing as Matrox 4:2:2 does provide cleaner key edges.

• @bubba

That's interesting... why wouldn't you do it during recording? Say a redundancy situation where you're still shooting to the card, and at the same time recording to 4:2:2 specifically for VFX/Keying work? Is there an issue with that?

I should test with a 4:2:2 external recorder just for this type of production. Would be another reason not to break 4K/5K out for extremely low budget situations... although if it's just green screen then it may be unnecessarily crippling.

• @kholi "why wouldn't you do it during recording? Say a redundancy situation where you're still shooting to the card, and at the same time recording to 4:2:2 specifically for VFX/Keying work? Is there an issue with that?"

Boy, is there!