Personal View site logo
Zoom F8 - 8 track audio recorder
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry Tascam DR 680 not Fostex. Re buffer: I never had buffer issues with Zoom products, but this looks like a completely new design anyway.

• strange noises probably made by a not so stellar design of the audio buffer

What you mean here? And that exactly is "audio buffer"?

• I hope it hasn't all the issues with those strange noises probably made by a not so stellar design of the audio buffer. I've had those issues with the H4, first edition, and with the H1, replaced at no cost by the manufacturer.

• Fostex DR 680

What is this?

• @wordsofpeace the Fostex sorry Tascam DR 680 is cheap and sounds as good as anything on the market. Lots of cheap and easy choices now.

• Probably cheaper than SD, but is it as good? Not that I can afford either.....

• Timecode on the base? That's not going to work too well in a bag, and power in on the base?

• 8 channels is perfect. If you don't need all eight, you can get a smaller unit, but I find that it is handy to simply use four or six channels and have the extra two as a backup, mixdown, or for the times you really need all eight.

• 8 channels is overkill IMO. Better to do 4 with larger knobs and maybe a few switch on each channel. I wouldn't want to run 8 xlr cables into a tiny unit like that especially if it was shoulder slung.

• Would be nice to know where it's noise floor is at and dynamic range. Zoom has always been super affordable, but from the point of view of sound - well, just adequate at best.

• Timecode, dual SD cards and 8 inputs, color screen. Looks good. Wish it took a monster battery.