Personal View site logo
Selecting Sony PXW-X70 vs. Panasonic GH4
  • From a practical usage and capabilities POV, which one would you recommend to purchase : the Sony PXW-X70 or the Panasonic GH4 (besides the 4K advantage of the GH4) ?

I am familiar with the GH3/GH4 capabilities, but wondered if there is a tangible advantage of the X70 for an amatuer who is just starting out with video production of stage shows. It is understood that the shooting will be done at 1920x1080 with a minimal post effort.

The X70 and the GH4 + a simple lens are about the same price - $2000 .

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • X70 would be the easier option, has NDs and XLR for instance. But if you have grander aspirations than merely filming stage shows, get the GH4.

• @IronFilm Thanks for the suggestion. Even if the user totally discounts 4K, why may the X70 be deficient at more advanced usage scenarios vis-a-vis GH4?

• The Sony will allow you to get the footage very easily. The Panasonic will have a slightly harder learning curve, and you'll need to rig it up to make the most of it, but I personally find the added work totally worth it.

I know some event shooters that will NEVER use a DSLR to do the job. I've used my GH2 and now GH4 for events and I highly recommend it. The GH4 has some features now that make the job easier. Focus Peaking, and a better button layout being two big ones off the top of my head right now.

Since you said minimal post and shooting 1080 only, the choice is tougher for sure. Good luck.

• Hey Kob, if you don't care about 4K and want an easy to use camera for casual filmimg where room to grow doesn't matter much, then check out the Sony CX900 as well!

Is essentially the X70 (same sensor! A glorious 1" one), but in a consumer level body.

• @johnnymossville Thank you for your comments. The ease-of-use will certainly be a strong factor to weigh in.

@IronFilm I looked at the CX900, but the reviews at B&H in general are a bit more negative relative to the X70, and if the budget allows it, it appears that among the two the X70 would be a better choice.