Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • End of April 2015. Conflicting reports on V-log, but true Anamorphic mode

Further text added by VK:

How to set V Log for free

Update camera firmware to v2.3 if you did not do this already Install Panasonic app on smartphone Connect camera with the application
    Go to picture profile and set V-LOG L
    Save this setting to C1 to make it work without app.

PR

Panasonic announced the release of a much anticipated firmware update Ver.2.2 for the award winning LUMIX GH4. This new firmware enables two new features, most notably the ability to record anamorphic video content.

Anamorphic lenses are used to create a cinemascope aspect such as 2.39:1 or 2.35:1. Panasonic discovered that cinematographers had been experimenting with the 4K PHOTO mode 4:3 aspect ratio in the LUMIX GH4 and vintage anamorphic cine lenses to achieve the classic Hollywood look of anamorphic film capture. Unlike complex digital post processing needed to achieve the look, many of the background distortion and light flare effects that became so popular with anamorphic film capture can now be achieved optically in the LUMIX GH4.

Thanks in part to its Micro Four Thirds format and 4K recording ability, firmware Ver.2.2 for the LUMIX GH4 enables an Anamorphic (4:3) Mode capable of recording video in 3328 x 2496 pixel (equivalent to approx. 8.3-megapixel) resolution at a frame rate of either 23.98, 24, 25 or 29.97 fps. With an anamorphic lens such as 2x1 you can capture and un-squeeze a 3356x2496 image in post-production. In addition, 4:2:2 / 10 bit HDMI output is also available2.

A further enhancement of the new firmware is the addition of a very high shutter speed of 1/16,000 sec. when using its electronic shutter mode.

• 1451 Replies sorted by
  • V-Log... Yes!! Dynamic range and color looks very good.

ETA - That's a bummer.

• No. schedule for V Log though

The film starts out ungraded as shot in a new LOG gamma file color space, which is being evaluated for market release in 2015, then transitions to fully graded scenes.

• V-log from about 5 mins 18 secs

• I really wish they'd either stop teasing this V-log mode and just release it. Or send me a copy of the firmware. I don't care what state the development is in. I'll take it as is.

• Yes i'd love the V-Log too. Looks like a real boost in highlight retention, which is my main bug bear with the GH4 modes at the moment. Plus it looks great for skin tones etc...

Release it !!

• wtf great now can somebody make this, v-log available for my gh2...!!! , fu#k i hate those profiles but love slog2 on a7s..

• This + BMD video assist = ideal?

• What do people understand by the '422 10bit over hdmi' part of this announcement? You can get that anyway if you dont record 4k internally

• I'll be at the Panasonic booth a bit later, I'll see if I can get some info on this.

Neil

• So has V-log been confirmed for this firmware update?

• According to 43Rumors V-Log will NOT be included in the 2.2 update. Sucks.

• @AdamT

You do not need 43rumors if you have official Panasonic statements. It'll be.. later.

• I am just happy to know that it will be coming soon, They are saying that V-Log adds two stops of dynamic range!!! I just hope it hits before summer since I am shooting a no budget feature and would die for a log color space!

• @rNeill - thanks for that. Intrigued to now if it means that now we can get 422 10bit 1080p over hdmi out whilst recording 4k to internal cards

• Panasonic announces the new firmware update program for the digital interchangeable lens system camera DMC-GH4. Firmware update service is scheduled in late April of 2015. Update Information

Anamorphic(4:3) mode is available which optimizes the settings for 3328x2496 video recording with a 4:3 anamorphic lens. * To convert the footage to a cinemascope aspect for playback, corresponding software and device are required.

1/16000 sec shutter speed can be selected manually when using [Electronic Shutter.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/info/update_gh4.html

• well V-log must be coming at some point with all these demos being made available to the public.. They would just get such bad press to hold it back for a future camera now. I think they're ironing out bugs and trying to improve noise etc. I'd like to have a play with the beta though ;-)

• This sounds great, but am I the only one thinking that this resolution has a wide range of applications for 1080, framing and stabilization in post. I wonder what the aspect ratio/crop will be in resolution to normal 1080.

• Any idea, when panasonic will release the v-log? or any leaked beta of this cool cinematic profile? pleeeaazzzz!!!! I must have this!!!!

• Visited Panasonic and the main thing of note was yes, they are demoing a rigged out GH4 running a v-log firmware with the in-cam showing on the camera monitor and corrected footage on external monitor, looking very nice of course. From anonymous sources I have been allowed to say the delay on releasing v-log is probably internal discussions as to whether this is a big enough capabilities upgrade that this firmware option should be a paid one. And if so what price? Apparently figures from free to $300 USD are being bandied about.

Couple with the 24p anamorphic mode and the pending V-log, I was finally really to jump on the GH4. Oh men, this is gonna be interesting if Panny decides to charge for this upgrade. Don't do it Panny don't do it. But if you really really really have to, don't make it more than $99.99

• Oh men, this is gonna be interesting if Panny decides to charge for this upgrade. Don't do it Panny don't do it. But if you really really really have to, don't make it more than $99.99

Oh men, this is gonna be interesting if you decide to rape me. Don't do it man, please don't do it. But if you really really really have to, please make it without much pain and satisfying for me. :-)

• Paid firmware upgrade? I will jump ship so fast it's not even funny. Panasonic is not in a position yet where brand loyalty is at Canon's fanboy fever pitch. They could piss-off and lose a huge chunk of their market to more innovative and consumer friendly competitors like BMD