Personal View site logo
Samsung NX500 4K NX camera
  • 273 Replies sorted by

Overall performance and video are the two areas where the NX500 doesn't compare quite so favourably to the flagship NX1. The NX500's DRIMeVs processor has less memory than the NX1, resulting in a slower (but still very impressive) 9fps burst shooting rate, a lower maximum bitrate of just under 50Mbit/s, the inability to stream 4K video from the HDMI port, and a 4K mode that is achieved by cropping the middle 60% of the image from the camera's 6.5K sensor, which drastically changes the effective focal length of the attached lens. The NX500 also suffers in comparison to its big brother by not having a standard 3.5mm microphone input for higher quality audio capture or a headphone jack, all things which will make serious videographers choose the NX1.

On the stills side, image quality is identical to the NX1, making the NX500 one of the best APS-C cameras in terms of image quality despite only being a mere mid-range model. And despite its compact dimensions, the NX500 offers pretty good handling and customisability and also solid build quality too, although the lack of a viewfinder is a bitter pill for serious photographers to swallow (the AMOLED screen is excellent though).

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx500_review/

sales43.jpg
    800 x 658 - 54K
  • af test

rolling shutter test

• Can Vitaliy use the firmware upgrades used for the NX1 and hack the NX500? That would be awesome.

• I ask the question again to Vitaliy. Would it be technically possible to hack the NX500 with the NX1 upgrades frimware?

• Would it be technically possible to hack the NX500 with the NX1 upgrades frimware?

Have no idea. I think some features are restricted artificially, but some are not.

Also note that it is full fledged Tizen and proprietary apps and drivers. Much more complex than any hacked firmware up to date.

• Thanks for your reply Vitaliy.

• Anyone besides me find it amusing that the cheaper camera with the same sensor has a sharper picture in the photo above? Look at the zipcode after "Tukwila."

• The reviewer pulled those above video clips from the review, in part due to my comments on them - they are atrocious examples of waving a camera aimlessly and using all auto mode. He has replaced the UHD video with a better one, where at least the camera is held still.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/samsung-nx500/samsung-nx500-shooters-report.htm

• NX500 versus NX1 in 4K video: 4K frame grabs and video.

From a 4K video shot side by side to get the same approximate pov, both lens set so the ISO was 800 and at the same f-stop. Both used the same lens (NX 16-50mm PZ). The NX1 was closer in to mimic the crop factor of the NX500. Shutter priority mode at 1/60th for both. Standard color. AWB. SAF.

NX500:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab56/markr041/NX500%202_zps3mjva0cb.jpg

NX1:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab56/markr041/NX1%202_zps6l9f1cox.jpg

Is this the best test? Well, at least I could control the lighting exactly and adjust the pov so they are reasonably comparable.

The video:

• @markr041 You have both the LX100 and the NX500 (I liked a lot your LX100 videos), and I will buy one of these two in a trip to NY now in April. What are your impressions regarding imaging quality between these two cameras, especially at night / low light situations?

• NX500 have the same 15min limit as LX100, another bummer

• Just picked up the NX500 this week and can unhappily confirm that with my manual glass (mostly Nikon):

1) MF assist does not work - it shows you the option to magnify x5 and x8 but after selecting one of the options, nothing happens

2) Focus peaking does not work at all, even at modes below 4k

Whereas both features work well on my NX1.

Quite disappointing. Am I just missing something? Has anyone gotten these features to work on legacy glass?

• @Branson When using legacy lenses on the new NX 500 you can press the OK button and you will get manual focus assist with included magnification and focus peaking.

If the mode dial is set to AUTO and you are using an adapted legacy lens, you will get a sign telling you to check lens and no picture is possible, you need to select P (program), Aperture, Shutter speed and Manual. Won't work on AUTO OR SCENE.

• @markr041 Peaking is working during video recording? (both with Samsung and legacy lenses)

I like the NX500. Despite some of the criticism above, I actually like it a lot. As a stills photographer who mostly sticks to single-frame advance mode, the NX500 is quick enough, reliable enough and certainly capable of good enough image quality to keep me very happy. The main thing which might keep me from buying one is the lack of an EVF.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2617394279/samsung-nx500-shooting-experience

sales112.jpg
    800 x 535 - 94K
  • @MarcioK I only know that peaking does not work in 4K video mode and while shooting 4K video.

But, if you want to shoot 4K video and use manual focus with focus peaking and/or magnification, you switch the lens to MF, focus using focus peaking, and then start your video (or go into video mode). The focus will hold. This 4K video was shot exclusively using focus peaking and MF (the 50-200mm NX lens) on distant subjects using the NX500:

• @markr041 many thanks. So obvious I missed checking the OK button! Which I should have tried since it works similarly on the NX1. In any case, you made my day. Much appreciated! And nice footage, btw

• Macro lens + frame crop 4K video:

• I have some questions for a Nx500 owner.

-Overheating?

-How's the 1080p image similar to Nx1?

-1080p recording time limit 29"or 15"?

-Clean HDMI output at 1080p?

-Battery usage?

-The 4K image it doesn't looks bad at all, what about against the lumix FZ1000 or GH4?

I'm think of using this camera for video mainly with the SmallHD EVF and a small cage, using manual lenses and external audio recording, not so much different as using the Blackmagic Pocket.

• @markr041 Thanks for the peaking answer - deal breaking for me, because peaking is more useful for me when I have to change focus during recording (for a static focus shot only magnification is enough).

This and some other quirks made me choose the LX100 for now - maybe with some future firmware updates and a lower price I'll get a NX500.