Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Been working some with the Neway CL76HO-X I bought through the forum here ... and am very pleased. I've enjoyed my GH3, and the touch-controls on the back screen have been very useful. However, checking focus on it is a joke ... and I do a LOT of work using my Nikon-mount glass on adapters. This is so much better!

And although I've rarely relied on the cam's histogram in toto for exposure (meters still do work and that right well) ... it's been interesting to see that in general the histogram gives a good reading of the spread of signal content as confirmed by false color in the monitor. I'm also testing out ... and so far basically confirming ... that the false color settings are not too bad for starters, but it looks like I'll need to move the 0 and 100 changes in a bit. Still, it's a great tool for verification of setting by the meter, and perhaps to refine things just a bit at times.

Now ... going to have to start actually rigging this thing ... ;-)

Neil

• Is there a way to use AE LOCK to hold iDynamic constant no matter how the scene brightness changes? I tried in both picture and video modes and AE LOCK just doesnt seem to do anything. I have it set to AE only (not AE/AF), and also have it set to maintain the LOCK setting after the button is released.

Any ideas?

• My first video using the GH3, what do you think?

• Nice looking footage, I like your edit. I have a rode ntg2 mic, and it also has some hiss when plugged right into the gh3. Part of it is the connection (TRS vs XLR, trs impedance is difference and results in more noise), and part of it is the gh3 preamps.

• Hi guys, I have some footage to show, and also some questions. Ive been using a GH3 since a few weeks, I switched from a G?, and ai am very happy with the results, for some reason i find that the GH3 footage grades better and has better movement rendition, especially in slow motion. But I have a sound issue, with my rode videomic GO the sound is really bad with big hiss from time to time even on the lowest gain. The G6 would not display this issue. Are the GH3 preamps very specific or mine toast? the onboard sound is good otherwise.

And here is some footage I threw together from my stay in Korea so far, shot with samyang glass and modified RJ speed booster :

• Uploaded in 1440p as it shows more detail of the original footage.

• I just started working with a Neway CL76HO-X 7" monitor ordered through Vasiliy's connections. I'll be reviewing it on the GH3 over in a thread on the monitor "page" for those devices. So far ... this is a joy and allows for accurate & confident use of my 35mm FF glass (Nikon mount stuff) on the GH3, both focus and signal controls. I'll be awfully busy over the next two weeks, but over time will have more info up there.

• Got inspired to practice grading and CC. All shots at 60p then slowed to 40% (24p) since I didnt use a tripod or steadycam. Well, except the last show which was slowed to 20%.

• Hi there!

A new edit shot with my loved GH3. Same settings as always -5,-5,-3,-3 but no color correction this time. Only grading with FilmConvert Pro. There's also some GoPro and 5DmkII footage. Expose for highligts as always.

GH3 is still alive. Hope you like it!

Comments are welcome

• Used the Panny 14-45 lens here at 14mm and f/8. The original footage didnt feel super sharp to me, but maybe Ive been watching too many 4k videos. :)

• @rezyserzycia Bit surprised that you do not sharpen with setting -3. But of course it all depends on what lense you use and what look you are after. That said, your results are really great and that's what counts.

In the horror short THE FOLLOWER, I used the Sigma 18-35 for all shots and sharpened quit a bit in post. But it was needed for the look I was after.

By the way, we are currently competing for the video of the week at awardeo.tv. If you like our short, please vote today. Voting is ending at midnight. Thanks so much goo.gl/EUBdjR

• dear @Vesku I still care, and still waiting.

• @Chris74

Chris, no sharpening in post. Grading wiht osiris and some 'taste' with changig red, blue curces. Portrait mode at -3

• @joethepro Thanks for the compliment! This camera is amazing, eventhough the flat setting (or lack of real flat profile) scares the shit out of me everytime I first time look at it after the shooting ;) @rezyserzycia Amazing work, love the look => Other than sharpen the footage in post, did you grade?

• Still blows my mind how well you can lift the shadows on this camera in certain situations while staying pretty clean. No noise reduction here, and no stabilization. Ignore the shakes, it was cold as hell.

• @joethepro

I used potrait mode, everything at -3

• @Chris74 Good start! You make the GH3 look great. @rezyserzycia Yours also looks good, a little flat feeling, but nice nonetheless. Did you use neutral with contrast way down?

• my short for Reebook film contest. only with gh3, no lights, 3 hours of work.

• @joethepro I did encounter some banding in the compressed MP4 H.264 in some shots and of course on the Vimeo online version (you see that only in full screen). But on the ProRes file, nothing!

@rNeil Thanks for the feedback!

By the way, just finished my first ever showreel. All shot with the Panasonic GH3. Would be great to hear your opinion guys

• @Chris74

Nice work ... my taste would have had just a bit more sat (not much, but a leetle titch) ... but I'm not the one doing the good job of getting that bit done, am I?

Neil

• @Chris74 How did you avoid banding while stretching the image so far? Or did you just never encounter it?

• Here some example which shows the great flexibility in post with well lit scene.

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 18.41.57.png
    776 x 436 - 499K
    Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 18.44.11.png
    775 x 435 - 243K
  • @joethepro Super that you liked it. Regarding shooting well exposed and pull down in post, I always do that as it leaves you with so much flexibility in post and gets the best out of this little camera! I have kind of a hate/love relationship with it ;)

If you are interested, check out the FB page. I will shortly post lots of "Behind the Scenes" material => www.facebook.com/thefollowershortfilm

Also, if you dare, follow us on twitter ;) @fllwr_shortfilm

• @Chris74 I loved it, was very entertaining and just the right length. Good job on the grade, shooting well lit and pulling it down. Keeps the noise out. It was a bit confusing at first when he tweeted because Im not familiar with Twitter and didnt know what he had actually done. My only gripe is that high pitch horror sound that you used over and over... got repetitive! Good to see the GH3 being used so well. I never go to -5 contrast because it looks like shit to me, but yours looks good with all the added contrast.

• Just finished this 4min thriller short with my usual setting => Profile: Natural -5 -5 -2 -5 (IPB MOV 50mbit). Graded in FCPX + FilmConvert

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 13.40.59.png
    705 x 396 - 400K
    Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 13.40.20.png
    699 x 392 - 323K