Personal View site logo
JVC 4K cameras, including GY-LS300 - 4K for $2995, GY-HM200 and GY-HM170
  • 298 Replies sorted by
  • Low Light Test in Roma

• Some of the images creeping out are starting to look a bit more like it. As users get hold of it I hope we'll see this camera shine. The specs are really great. I love the s35 sensor / MFT mount combo with the Variable scan mapping tech. Great for using all sorts of glass on. Still, I'd certainly hold fire to see what Panny have up their sleeve with regards to a AF100 replacement at NAB.

• Mike Linn posted this on page one. The video is from Delimex. A shoot from Belgium (.be) I believe? Only available in 1080. Some aliasing issues and rings in the circular highlights and overexposed highlights. Maybe the aliasing is from being shot in 1080?

• Review in German:

• I think the video looks OK--almost as good as my Samsung phone.

• More low light testing on the LS300. Not sure if it's real or fabricated:

• The noise at 18 and 24db in that lowlight "JVC GY-LS300 4K Super 35mm - video-test (full HD)" vimeo video posted just above looks quite awefull, best video so far I have seen is "heist" shot by DELIMEX which had some beautiful imagery but any other video looks pretty bad in comparison.

• Really want to like this camera too. An AF101 for the present day, but so far the image isn't looking that lovely. I'll keep reserving judgements.

• I've been following the JVC GY-LS300 with interest for a little while now, looks like an interesting "FS7 alternative"? (i.e. it is a Super 35mm 4K camcorder at half the price of a FS7)

• JVC representitives told me the GY-LS300 is not being marketed as a cinema camera. They are targeting the GY-LS300 for use in educational markets, news gathering and as an alternative to conventional DSLR cameras. According to JVC “DSLR cameras simply can’t match the high reliability, long recording time and ergonomics provided by JVC’s GY-LS300. No other removable lens video camera offers this much flexibility in such a compact, easy-to-handle form factor.”

The camera actually surprised me with the images it produces. While it may not have the most cinematic look on the market I found the images to be very pleasing. JVC claims 12 stops of dynamic range and a base ISO of 400. It certainly is not a low light competitor to cameras such as the Sony a7S or Canon C100 Mark II. You can comfortably work at up to about 1600 ISO but anything over that and the noise pattern starts to look pretty ugly. At its base ISO the camera produces very clean, sharp, detailed images. The above video was shot entirely using available light. I primarily stayed at 400 ISO and a few of the shots were at 800. Most of the material I shot was recorded internally in HD 422 at 50p. There are a handful of shots that were done in UHD. The resolving power of the sensor JVC is using is very good. Below is a short video showing the resolving power the camera is capable of when recording externally to HD ProRes using the 7Q+. I compared the JVC to the Sony a7S. Both cameras were outputting HD. Note: This is not a scientific test, but it was interesting to see the JVC out resolve the Sony.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/02/24/testing-out-the-jvc-gy-ls300-a-4k-budget-super-35mm-camera-with-a-micro-43-mount/

• LS300 Purchase deal news: Apparently when you buy the LS 300 from select dealers, JVC will give you FREE either a Metabones adapter (EF, PL, or Nikon) or a Rokinon MFT 24 or 35 mm lens. So $3999 plus your choice of a worthwhile "free gift."