Personal View site logo
Three companies join the Four Thirds group - DJI included
  • The Four Thirds Group announced three new members. Here is the official press text (Source: four-thirds.org): — We are pleased to announce that three more companies have recently declared their support for the standard and will be introducing products compliant with the Micro Four Thirds System standard. DJI(SZ DJI Technology CO., Ltd.), the leading company in the drone (multi-copter), JCD(GuangZhou) Optical Co.,,Ltd., a Chinese based optical company designing and producing the optics with the Japanese quality, FLOVEL CO.,LTD., a Japanese company designing the cutting-edge optical equipment, join the Micro Four Thirds System standard group.

Looks like that DJI was tired to see Sony and Olympus launch their "lens cameras" as smartphone gimmics instead of exploring the great potential of them as drone cams, and decided to take the task themselves.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • if GM1 fas HDMi out for preview DJI would not join , no room in the market :)

• If they can come out with a 4K M43 camera build in the drone I will gladly get it instead of flying my GH4 up in the air.

• The Inspire 1 does have a removable camera so I'd assume people would be able to change out the camera for an M43 version.

• M43 version is gonna be much heavier than a 1/2.3" sensor setup, don't think the gimbal is up for it.

• The QX1 from Sony, which uses an E-Mount, weights 216g with battery - you have to add the lens weight. Probably the Olympus Air weights less; and I guess that DJI could make a very light unit.