Personal View site logo
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • Eagerly waiting for mine to arrive! SO, another question for the A7s guys.. for SLog2 exposure, I've seen it mentioned several times to ETTR by 2 stops. Does the A7s have exposure meter to note this?

• ETTR means something else. But yes, the camera has an exposure meter. It only goes up to +2.0 in video mode. It blinks when the exposure is above that. That's not ideal but it is good enough. You can also use auto exposure and exposure lock.

• @balazer Thanks for the prompt response! Just so I understand correctly, the meter should read +2.0 if you want to expose correctly for SLog2.

• Depends entirely on which LUT or other method of display conversion you want. But if you are aiming for +2.0, then yes, you want the exposure meter to say +2.0 and not blink. It's really easy. You won't have any problem with this.

• Any experience and suggestions about not-Metabones EF adapters? I heard good things about the Commlite http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111405519095?clk_rvr_id=770900266023&rmvSB=true. Any experience with stacked adapters to use also Nikon lenses (that is: Sony to EF + Canon to Nikon)? Thanks!

• my Commlite has been fine, got it from here, little cheaper than your link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commlite-ComTrig-AF-Mount-Adapter-EF-NEX-fr-Canon-Lens-to-Sony-IS-Exact-Exposure-/190923374863?

I.S. and aperture work well on Canon 70-200 2.8 mk2, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 17-55 2.8, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 105 2.8 - but cant get Canon 18-135 stm lens to work, presume its because of focus by wire

Here's some nicely graded footage

• @ade4all thanks for the tip! And great video also

• @ade4all can I ask you which lens is it at 00:30?

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 11.49.56.jpg
    947 x 530 - 89K
  • @flablo This wasn't shot by ade4all, but it was me that color graded it, this time i wasn't there while they where shooting but the cinematographer usualy uses his own Samyang set of primes, i'm about 100% shure that this is the 85mm.

• @JLemos thank you, and great color grade

• Michael Jackson Tribute video I shot with the Sony a7s

• Hey fellas - dumb question.. I'm using the Commlite EF adapter with the Canon 24-70 EF lens. I have the lens set to MF and when I turn the zoom ring, the manual focus assist doesn't automatically appear. I'm assuming that this is due to the adapter. I found the menu option to activate the assist but haven't been able to find out how to do it from the Function keys. Ideas?

Nm: found out how to assign Focus Magnifier to F2.

• Has anyone else seen exposure shifting after starting movie record?

NM: Found the setting. It turns out that I was in Manual Stills mode, instead of Manual Movie mode.

• I am trying to use a rented a7s with my Zacuto EVF Pro. I am getting the message "Unsupported Video Format 1080p60 YUV422" on the Zacuto screen.

I have the latest Zacuto firmware that has the a7 option for scaling and supports a7s use.

I am new to the a7s, so I am wondering what I am missing in the menus to set this up properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am on a paid shoot tomorrow and have very small windows of time between now and then for testing.

O

• Try to set the camera to interlace. It's actually not interlace, but PsF.

• That did it! Thanks!

• So that was my first real attempt with the sony a7s. All shot only with the Canon 24-105 L II, since changing lenses would have taken too long. When working with kids in a adventure program, everything goes real fast. In order to stay close to the action I had to choose either a long focal length or to run a lot. It was a small and low budget project for a social organization I worked for a couple of years ago. The weather conditions were harsh and we`ve been outdoors most of the time. Focus was hard to judge on the little screen – white balance as well. Even pressing the little Rec-Button when it is minus 10 degrees can be quite challenging. But it all worked out ok. For post I decided to learn more about Davinci and not to use any kind of LUTs.

• nice job sam! can you tell me what picture profile you used? thanks

• @sam that was fantastic! How did you make those cool transitions? Like to the trail head sign?

• 24-105 L II? Typo? Or did I (and my google searches just now) miss a successor to the 24-105/4L?

• @eatstoomuchjam sorry that was a Typo. 24-105 F4 L IS is the correct lens.

@mjfan that was cine4/cinema sharpness -7 everything else standard. You have to nail the white balance. that is tricky sometimes. especially with artificial light.

@TATZU playing with speed. playing clips backwards. zooming. choose the right camera movements to match clips and go from one scene to the next.

• @JLemos

What did you use to color grade, LUTS? Also did you use Noise Reduction as the image looks so clean, thanks