Personal View site logo
Samsung NX system topic
  • Some short thoughts about my experience (and talks to members) with Samsung NX system.

Now Samsung NX system is underdog with great value. Something that Pentax years ago.

Interesting bodies

• Samsung NX1 - video king for APS-C cameras, current top camera
    • Samsung NX30 - ex top camera, available for $460 and up on ebay . It is hard to get such good camera with EVF and AMOLED screen for so cheap in any other system.
    • Samsung NX20 - early top camera, available for $260 and up on ebay . Still with good EVF and AMOLED. FullHD video and Wi-Fi. Steal.
    • Samsung NX300. Little gem. Amazing build, AMOLED tilting screen. From around $280 on ebay.

Optics

Most optics is of very good quality, quite cheap, except one ultrazoom (but it is very ok for video).

Best ones: 16-50mm F2-2.8 zoom, 60mm macro, 85mm F1.4 S, 30mm F2, 12-24mm wide zoom, 16-50mm PZ lens.

Samyang and Rokinon optics can be got with good discount with NX mount (check $235 35mm F1.4 I posted in NX1 topic).

Connectivity

Samsung is known for best connectivity options and very good Wi-Fi speed (as they are pro in implementing Wi-Fi in smartphones).

Firmware

Bodies before NX1 can have small issues with video compression. It is BaseLine profile, 1 ReFrame only, no CABAC. Ala GH1.

Software

Samsung cameras come with full fledged Adobe Lightroom (except newest NX500). Take it into account also, looking at the prices.

Sound

On some bodies it is no mic input as well as headphones out.

Yet unusual hack to this exist, you will need small Samsung EM10 microphone.
    It has headphone output and internal ADC. If you want to attach dynamic or electret lavalier mikes you'll need to rip it apart and solder wires to the original capsules.

• 31 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy ....seems samsung is always banging heads with sony trying to slide in front. They (samsung) appear to be getting closer, but I'd bet a nickel sony comes out with a nice camera ( maybe a7000 ) next month, hopefully with 4k and the new stablized sensor. I think sony got better designers...and a better codec. But I don't own either so my opinion is uninformed, other than what I read. And there's the availability of focal reducers for sonys as well, as a larger lens selection. I like an underdog too, but... what's with that futuristic curve anyway ? The ones w/o evf's look ...ah ...just a little too cute !

• @kurth

It is not Sony vs Samsung topic, rather useful info and owners posts for people considering NX system.

Sony has bunch of their own issues, starting to some strange design and firmware approaches and finishing with overheating and lenses prices.

• Dumb Question - can I tether these cameras in Lightroom to the computer for direct capture to hard disk (stills only)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev any thought about nx20 and nx30 video capabilities?

• any thought about nx20 and nx30 video capabilities?

I suggest to check reviews (check NX30 topic here, for example).

NX30 is much better in this regard. It has very good adjustable position EVF, 1080p60, mic input, etc.

• Thanks, i read some reviews, and found that the NX30 has difficulties with AF in video and uses up the battery really fast, so as i need to film long interviews, it won't do - Panasonic can keep a battery going for hours!

• Where AF is so badly required during interviews?

Also, any reference about video shooting time for NX30 using standard battery?

• I expect Samsung to continue to put out new cameras with the most advanced technology. After sluggish sales of their former cameras, they are bent on pouring better designers and engineers in their camera R&D department. If they really get the Magic Lantern team to support their cameras, they may capture a lot of the DSLR videography community. I don't expect Samsung's flagship NX1 to be a flash in the pan so I think investing in Samsung optics will pay off. I look forward to Samsung's future cameras.

• Here are some more general thoughts on the NX1. I got mine early, with 16-50 f2-2.8 pro lens, battery grip, charger and extra battery. Now there are some better package deals than the one I got -- especially at Adorama (no affiliation). Two batteries should get you through most shoots. Generally, this is better stills camera than video. If you've done a lot of GH2 shooting, you'll appreciate the vastly improved still capabilities of this unit. I found the GH2 brilliant in video but mediocre to lousy in stills. In terms of video, the NX1 has significantly improved itself with firmware 1.2. The terrible exposure drifting is cured. Colors are accurate and punchy and image tack sharp in 4k (3.8k actually). Compared again to a GH2, the NX1 performs much better in lowlight. I didn't like GH2 in video mode beyond 800 iso. NX1 cruises at 1600iso. Unfortunately, the NX1 does alias somewhat on certain meshy fabrics and patterns. I did a side by side test and the NX1 aliased significantly on a challenging subject, whereas the GH2 did not whatsoever. Though the aliasing is not chronic and acute like the old Canon 7d's, it does pop up and I find it excruciating. I'd compare the NX1's aliasing to the bmpcc. Perhaps slightly less.

• GH2+DxO raw developer with camera+lens modules is very fine quality for stills. I don't think the NX1 is supported, but it probably will be since the S3 and S4 are.

• Samsung will be a mayor player in the Prosumer market, Sony has to balance the introduction of better and newer technolgies, because of that the Sony cameras feels like has sufer from some sort of limitation. But unlike Sony, Samsung doesn't have a professional line to protect, they are free to implant any modern technology in the cameras without harm itself. Personally, I never like the Samsung products but I can't deny that the NX1 and the rumored NX500 looks like a winners to me.

• I am looking for a replacement for my g6 with a bigger body to balance my heavy samyang glass, would you guys recommend the nx30 or the gh3? The nx30 would be cheaper than the gh3. Anyone has a clue about nx1 price in Korea?

• Prediction:

By January 2016 we will see a Samsung aps-C body that can shoot 30fps 20.8mp in Raw until a card is full.

• By January 2016 we will see a Samsung aps-C body that can shoot 30fps 20.8mp in Raw until a card is full.

Issue here is LSI design, sensor heat and SD card speed.

• I am looking for a replacement for my g6 with a bigger body to balance my heavy samyang glass, would you guys recommend the nx30 or the gh3?

GH3 is better for video from design and features standpoint. But NX30 is also good camera. I suggest to try if it fits your tasks.

• @vitaliy_Kiselev I would think SD CARD is their biggest limitation right now - apparently NX1 can shoot 15FPS Full Size Raw until a card is Full now... That's pretty intense, and pretty close.

• Possible new lenses in lineup

• 16-80mm F4 OIS
    • 24mm F1.4
    • 11-24mm F2.8 OIS
    • 300mm F2.8 OIS
  • If the fast lenses will be of the pro "S" quality (which I assume they will be), that we will be a nice addition to the 16-50mm F2-2.8 and the 50-150mm F2.8. We will then have the essential pro-line covered. That's exciting!

The 300mm F2.8 IOS will be excellent for wild life shooting, especially with the 15fps the NX1 delivers. I have the 50-200mm F4-5.6 IOS and it is noticeably less sharp than the current "S" lenses (but it's a cheap lens).

@Vitaliy_Kiselev: do you know anything about an approximate release date?

Correction: It is a nice sunny day today so I just did a quick comparison between the 50-200mm F4-5.6 and 16-50mm F2-2.8. I was taking photos of snow covered Mt. Hood from about 17miles away. I used the same CPL on both lenses with A 7.1. At 50mm, as expected, the 16-50mm lens is sharper but not too much. Comparing the tele-lens at 200mm with cropped image from the 16-50mm lens @50mm to get the same image, the tele-lens has much better image. This is an expected result, but I was quite impressed how well the small, cheap, tele-lens performed. I got it new on eBay for about $220. So if you need a tele-lens for the occasional shot, the 50-200mm F4-5.6 may be a good choice, considering the price.

The first image was taken with 16-50mm F2-2.8 lens, at 50mm, cropped; the second with 50-200mm F4-5.6 at 200mm The increased resolution over-compensates the lesser glass quality.

SAM_0297.jpg
    1620 x 1080 - 1M
    SAM_0301.jpg
    1620 x 1080 - 909K
  • do you know anything about an approximate release date?

Samsung is very vague about any release dates. I really hope they will add F1.4 lineup faster as well as adding more other lenses.

• 300mm f2.8 should be quite a nice lens. I imagine it won't be cheap. I have to admit, a $1600 lens like the 50-150mm that does NOT say "Canon" or "Nikon" represents a psychological hurdle when outfitting these great new cameras.

• Amazon is having a bit of a special right now on the Samsung NX300/NX1000/NX2000

Picked up one for myself, if it is as good (or even better) as a GH2 (as some people have said...) I'll be very happy! Plus it makes for a very cheap entry point into the NX system, who knows... I might get a NX1 later this year? (still haven't made up my mind about NX1 vs A7s vs GH4! Leaning strongly towards GH4, but in no rush at all to buy an expensive top of the line mirrorless camera. I'll probably go for whichever one gets the first big discount price drop this year)

Rather a pity about their lens mount, it was a very poor decision by Samsung to make it so long such that a focal reducer can't be made for it. Though if they should next release a "NX2" model which uses all that extra empty space to put ND filters in there, then I'll be a very happy man! And can even perhaps forgive them for their horrible choice in flange length for the NX mount.

• NX300 is good camera, but very different from GH2 :-)

Cheapest one is "new not REFURBISHED" kit for $362 on Amazon, not super special but not bad

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00COZRKCK/

Rather a pity about their lens mount, it was a very poor decision by Samsung to make it so long such that a focal reducer can't be made for it.

It is not true that "focal reducer can't be made for it".

• It's a gold box deal for much cheaper :-) 20hrs ish or something like that left to go.

I imagine it will be a different kind of a "good" to the GH2, but broadly comparable perhaps? Anyway, I hope it is at least a step up from my existing GF3/G3/GH1 I often use for multi cam shoots.

Metabones said a focal reducer can't be made for it, but I'm hoping an innovative Chinese company shall come along and prove them wrong?

Anyway, still hope Samsung brings along a "NX2" (or "NX510" or whatever) with ND filters in the mount!

• OK, found the link

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_10227147011_gbsl_rlm_l-1_7582_fc7fc518?rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Cn%3A10227147011&ie=UTF8&node=10227147011

NX300 is 269, just lens is worse - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-20-3MP-Digital-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00TZ9QHQS/

Metabones said a focal reducer can't be made for it, but I'm hoping an innovative Chinese company shall come along and prove them wrong?

It can be made by theory, just requires protruding rear element. I think Metabones remark is mostly caused by low popularity of mount.