Personal View site logo
GH2 Deinterlacing 50i in FCP
  • Inside FCP, I get field dominance as Upper Field. However, when I try to deinterlace it using Compressor or other FCP plugins, I am still left with interlaced artifacts.
    So what is the workflow that people use to deinterlace this footage ?
  • 11 Replies sorted by
  • You can not deinterlace it without degrading quality.
    1) You can take one field from each frame and make it a frame - 1/2 loss in resolution
    2) You can interpolate both fields - sharpness equal to 1/2 loss in resolution
    3) "Clever" way of deinterlacing - only those areas which has motion - look for fcp plugins, this method produces the best results, but often needs retouching.
  • IMHO, the best plug-in is RS Fields Kit from revisionfx.com, but the best de-interlacers still come in expensive hardware.
  • Guys. I dont need an explanation of how deinterlacing is done. I am aware of the resolution issues.
    I am simply asking if anyone has manage to deinterlace GH2 footage in FCP. If so, what settings did you use in the field dominance ? Also, did you manage to remove all the interlace artifacts in the footage (to indicate that you deinterlaced properly) ?
  • I would first convert to prores and then deinterlace. Please post here what do you call "interlace artifacts".
  • I faced the same problem, and tried various methods, including different codecs.
    If you are shooting in 1080i, I suggest to leave it as interlaced. FCP will detect the fields automatically, and optimise the playback. I found that rendering everything as interlaced yields the best results: I dun see artifacts, yet the final images, even in ProRes HQ, have an acceptable level of softness, unlike most interlaced video which is stark sharp.
  • I will take a snapshot of the interfacts within FCP.
    Interesting - When the field dominance is changed to none, the artifacts go away. However, when I render with Compressor and upload to youtube, the file is rejected.
  • So, did you shoot interlaced or not?
    FCP always mistakes 1080 for interlaced, if it's progressive, just tell it so by switching to "None".
  • i shoot interlaced, and finish in interlaced. Will be posting a clip on vimeo for reference.
  • @nomad I shot 50i on the GH2. Interlaced. For some reason, FCP displays better when its set to Field Dominance "None".
    If I leave the Field Dominance with default values - Upper field first. There are interlaced artifacts even after deinterlacing. Very strange. Let me fix up my comp so I can post grabs.
  • @zcream Have you tried the GOP1 INTRA 1080i yet? I would be interested in seeing how that compares in post.
  • Hi,
    this is the clip i mentioned that I would put up as reference.

Shot and finished in 1080i. Here's the link: