Personal View site logo
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • @nosignal

The best source of info about future Sony cameras is: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

They are pretty accurate. In answer to your question, there have been no rumors of an update to the A7s. That doesn't mean there isn't one coming, but probably not in the immediate future. The next round of Sony cameras is reported to contain high megapixel sensors.

• @Athiril interesting! I have no knowledge in this field, I admit, but it would possible at this point to force the dual recording of sony a7s to get 10bit in 24p?

• @ AlbertZ: A7S is not delivering 10 bit.

• @nomad the point was @Athiril 's note in the previous page, in particular:

"If you're that desperate for it, if you're shooting in 1080p, if you take 50p or 60p, and blend 2 frames together for an output of 25p or 30p within a 16-bit space you should get more than 10-bits. Same if you downsize 4K to 1080p in a 16-bit space. (You can work in a 16-bit space in AE iirc)." I was curious if it possibel to extend this trick through dual recording which is available in A7s...I am not expert though ;)

• Given that the A7s was only released 8 months ago, is still selling like hotcakes, and has no viable competition in its space, it seems unlikely that Sony would be inclined to release an update in the near future.

• i am trying to record a7s Hdmi output in blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2 (latest firmware).

​But when i choose movie mode and 1080 25p output , cant record anything (video led on BM hyper deck is off).

When i choose 1080i output in camera, then i can record from A7s.

i noticed when i connect my A7s in my samsung led tv , that when i choose 1080p output , tv shows that it accepts 1080 50p !

​Thats the reason why BM can't see the video from HDMI when o choose 1080p.... but why is this ?

​Why A7s can't output 1080 25p ?

• Have to say once again that I love my A7s. Now that I've got the Nebula Gimbal coming, I've lost interest in future Sony camera updates that would include sensor based stabilization.

I mean Nebula is going to beat sensor stabilization no matter what.

It could be 5-10 years until the local tv station changes to ultra hd so there is no pressure upgrading there either. I could see myself working with this thing for a long time.

It is truly the first small professional camera.

Stills are great too. I mean these files are much nicer to work with than bigger res files and for my work, there is absolutely nothing to be gained with more resolution.

• @duckpark, what Nebula Gimbal are you talking about? I'm looking for some light rig too. I saw 4000 Lite , but I'm not sure if it would handle A7S Thanks!

• its the same gimbal.... it can handles a7s with a small lens .

• Does anyone with sony a7s do professional video production on the island of O'ahu? Contact me ASAP

• @toxotis70

The way Sony implemented HDMI is causing this. All recorders that can't handle 50p won't recognize the progressive setting in HDTV, since it looks like 50p to them. 50i will work, it's actually 25 PsF (progressive segmented frames). The Atomos ones can handle it intelligently, flagging the footage as progressive. With some others, you'll need to tell the NLE that it's actually progressive or you'll loose vertical resolution from unnecessary de-interlacing.

The Shogun will recognize 50p HDTV, but it's actually 25 fps with frame doubling. But who in the world will record HDTV if he/she has a Shogun for the A7S? BTW, true 50p looks quite crappy from the A7S, since the camera is using a feaster readout with less quality.

• BTW, true 50p looks quite crappy from the A7S, since the camera is using a feaster readout with less quality.

Use APS-C crop mode and 50p and 60p look very good.

• That's true. For this reason I'll get a Lens Turbo…

• @Athril

"If you're that desperate for it, if you're shooting in 1080p, if you take 50p or 60p, and blend 2 frames together for an output of 25p or 30p within a 16-bit space you should get more than 10-bits."

If you shoot 50p then frame 1 differs from frame 2. If you blend/pixel motion blend/average frames then you end up with a new 8bit frame 3. Will fail with a lot of motion in the frame. Basicly you're creating a new picture.

Plz back up you're logic with a nuke/ae script.

• @Athril - this assumption - never been proven - is a hangover from a post in Voldemort's blog when the GH4 was first released. If you can demonstrate this working in any practical way, write an app for it or whatever, you'll make a lot of money.

• @MikeLinn Such a great video!! I love the way the christmas lights look, especially when out of focus!

• New test utilizing FilmConvert for the grade. So many small features on this camera that make it a joy to shoot with.

• @jurand If you shoot those two adjacent frames with 1/100th of a second (or shorter) of exposure, the blending of two frames shouldn't look too different from footage shot at 25p with 1/50th.

That said, I'd rather shoot 4K with that extra stop in the superwhites at higher resolution, scale it down in a 32 bit application and call it a day…

• Please stop this ridiculous frame combining talk, or take it to a new topic.

• very nice lighting and colors :)

3 x 800W Pro Red Head Redhead FilmConvert A7s profile, Cine1-Cinema KD 5027 Vis3)

• I'm still doubting between a7s and gh4. I have 5 lenses I can use for GH4 (I had a gh2 and a gh3), and that's the only factor why I maybe will go for gh4. But I do like the image of the A7s more

• @Conscius I had a GH4 and now I have a a7s. Imho, A7s it's superior in dynamic range, low light performance and cinematic look. Otherwise, GH4 it's a beast and if you own already m 4/3 lenses, your choice should be GH4.