Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • @karl Looks really good, like for some kind of work you can shoot without tripode... Any feedback about the camera built in mics?

• @gameb: I didn't care about the sound at all, since I usually just shoot underwater videos, where there's not much of interest to record (well, fish are not really mute, but their sounds are not very exciting, either).

I didn't even bother to switch on the "Wind Cut" option, which I probably should have, given how strong the wind blew :-)

• I know @karl, it was not really a question for you...:)) it was more in general, as I use the camera built in mics sometimes, when the primary sound is not really that important, like sound atmospheres, over dubbed voices or music in post etc. the gh2-sound sometimes was very useful

• @gameb The video I posted on Richmond above:

1. It was shot all handheld. So you can see what the camera does without degrading software fixes.

2. It used the internal mics, so you can hear the ambient sounds (atmosphere). There was no wind, so the sound is very natural (water flows, honking geese, traffic, birds, trains going by). And there is no distracting music track.

I recommend you download the original 4K version.

• @markr041 - lovely color and details

• Basically the Panasonic AC90 got all the time-lapse shots and the LX100 got shots of him singing as well as talking about the painting. Edited in Premiere Pro CC 2014.

The only other time I've used the LX100 was briefly in a store. I received the LX100 yesterday and decided to finish up this video with it. The clip is originally 2160p but I was already using a 1080p timeline and I decided to stick with it.

This was obviously shot in Massachusetts and I'll actually be leaving to the Azores in a few days. I'll be their for 2 weeks.

• I basically took a native clip off that card and uploaded to YouTube. Shot in 3840x2160p30. Shutter of 30, Aperture of around f/1.7 at it's widest and it obviously changed a bit when I zoomed it. Auto focus was at auto. I was sort of looking at the settings on the camera while shooting which wasn't the brightest idea. I really should have practiced a bit shooting with the camera handheld before I shot this.

Anyway, does anyone know what I need to do in order to see my adjustments live on the screen? It works if I hit record first but I want to see my adjustments live before I hit record.

• @PauloTeixeira: I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but if by adjustments you mean aperture/shutter effects, please have a look at the manual section titled "Checking the effects of the aperture value and shutter speed ([Preview] Mode)" (page 88 in the english LX 100 manual).

But of course you can also check you settings while you're recording and just later throw away the part of your recording where you were adjusting...

• Basically to make it like the GH cameras in which if I select the top dial to the mode that has the letter M together with a movie camera, I can see my adjustments live on the screen. For example, if I increase the ISO, the image on the screen would get brighter. If I increase the shutter speed, the image on the screen would get darker.

Anyway, I tried what you said and it works somewhat. I guess I'll have to play with it some more.

• @karl I am still debating to buy the LX100. I will use it 90% for video underwater. The last days I read a lot of threads about the LX100 and the forthcoming houses of Nauticam and Ikelite. The reason I am hesitating is that there might be an issue about the Autofocus hunting of the LX 100. And that might become a problem underwater. I have read that there are some workaronds but I wonder this will work underwater? Any idea of the GH 4 has the same 'problem'? I have a trip planned to Rangiroa in January and will miss the forthcoming reviews of the use of the housings underwater. TNX for your advice

• @danz: Did you use continous autofocus for underwater videography in the past? My experiences with the GH2 underwater was that this was simply not feasible - way too often, the GH2 did spontaneously hunt for focus, ruining shots. So I always shot with "AFS" underwater, only refocusing by explicitely pressing the trigger half way.

The LX100 is a lot better than the GH2 with regards to how quick and under what lighting conditions the auto-focus works, but I would still be surprised if taking underwater video with continous autofocus works well. Just imagine how a tiny, semi-transparent jelly fish 1m away can ruin your shot of a whale shark 4m away just because the camera has the sudden idea to re-focus on the jelly fish... not good. But I'll sure give "AFC" a try when I get my new underwater housing, just out of curiousity.

The new "AFF" ("Auto Focus Flexible") mode might be more suitable than "AFS" for underwater shooting, so I'll try that, too. I toyed around with that along with the "tracking focus" mode on dry land, and this combination seems to be somewhat good at refocusing on a moving subject only when necessary. But I'm still not sure it is usable under water, just because the probability of something drifting between your camera and the object of interest is so much higher underwater.

Regarding the GH4: There's no known reason to believe that the GH4 (with whatever lens) is better at focusing than the LX100. With many lenses, focusing will take longer than with the one built into the LX100. But the killer argument in favor of the LX100 and against the GH4 (apart from the size) for me is the LX100's ability to focus down to 3cm - so no need to switch between macro and other lenses.

• Here's a photo of that painting that I took on the day I shot the video.

Click here if you'd like to download the original https://www.flickr.com/photos/pauloteixeira/15948106248

Azores.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 512K
  • @karl: Thanks for this very useful advice. I am coming from the era of classic video cameras like JVC and Canon. So it's quite a mind shift to use this new type of cameras for video. I am not sure if the lens will strong enough to capture a pygmee seahorse in close up. I asked Nauticam and they gave me the following answer: "We have a macro flip holder developped to mount on the port for wet lens attachment"

• @danz: Be assured that if you manage to find a pygmee seahorse, the LX100 lens won't be a limiting factor. I took the attached and several video shots using the GH2 with a Lumix 14-42mm X lens - from a distance of ~ 15cm. Ok, could have been easier, but with the LX100 focusing down to 3cm (instead of 15cm), I see no reason for any strange/bulky/expensive "wet macro lens". How much closer than 3cm do you want to approach your subject? Without casting a shadow on it with the lens?

pygmaen_seepferd5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • I actually did get to figure out a problem I had about constantly being able to see my adjustments happening live without hitting record. Go into the menu and choose the icon that has a wrench and a C, go to page 5/9 and put the "Constant Preview" to on. That's good because it stunk having to only view my adjustments after I hit record. I'd like to view them before I hit record.

Anyway, here's a quick clip I shot at Revere Beach and then uploaded directly from the card/

Vimeo version for people who wants to download it. vimeo.com/115613544

It was shot in 3840x2160p30. I did not use an ND filter so the shutter might have been either 125 or 250, the Aperture was around f/5.6 or f/6.3, ISO was set to 200.

The camera was on top of one of the side walls that people sits on which is why you see a bit of a shake when I decide to zoom out.

• Just got my LX 100. I got some wrong setting, I guess. Camera is in "M" mode. After hitting record, why does the exposer/light changes? How can I get the real exposer/light on the viewer?

• @gameb It seams like you probably have the same problem I had at first. If you do, that can be fixed.

Go into the menu and choose the icon that has a wrench and a C, go to page 5/9 and put the "Constant Preview" to on. This will allow you to see how your shots will look before you hit record.