Personal View site logo
Pros/Cons of Sony PXW-X70 vs Sony PMW-EX1R? (or Sony NEX-EA50 or Sony FS100?)
  • I'm a DSLR/MILC guy, thus asking this for a friend as I'm far from an expert on camcorders, but what would be the pro/cons list of a Sony PXW-X70 vs a Sony PMW-EX1R?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072752-REG/sony_pxw_x70_professional_xdcam_compact.html http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758895-REG/Sony_PMW_EX1R_2_PMW_EX1R_XDCAM_EX_Full.html

To also throw in a third one for comparison with these two, the Sony NEX-EA50 or even the Sony FS100 as a fourth consideration to be included (if only either one had built in ND filters, then I reckon this would be the strongest choice here perhaps?) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076767-REG/sony_nex_ea50m_nxcam_camcorder.html http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761580-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100UK_NEX_FS100U_Super_35mm_Sensor.html (included the links so it is easy and handy for people to also see the specs at a glance)

• 27 Replies sorted by
  • Well, you can add Sony CX900, as it is same basic hardware as X70.

Or even Sony AX100. Both also have build in NDs. But no XLRs or very high bitrate modes.

• Yeah for sure, I know about those, and if it was up to me I'd go with the cheaper Sony HDR-CX900 or Sony FDR-AX100. Actually, I wouldn't get any and just instead get the Sony A7000 when that comes out! But I've got a DSLR/MILC bias, while she has a twenty year video veteran with an ENG background.

So I don't think she'd settle for anything without XLR. (personally I reckon the Sony A7s with the Sony XLR-K2M could be a good combo, but I still doubt she'll like the DSLR/MILC form factor)

• I personaly would go for the PXW-X70. Overall nice features and a good image quality. With: A removable XLR handle, internal 4:2:2 10bit, XAVC-S codec, dual SD card slots, SDI out, good low light performance, low up to none moire & aliasing patterns and it also seems like it has less rolling shutter than the CX900 and AX100. It´s also quite small and lightweight - Which helps while handling and transportation.

The EX1R is just outdated (in my opinion). The EA50 is a bigger VG30 (more or less). (And also suffers from the 1:1 same moire and aliasing problems - Like the VG30 I use quite often.) The FS100 is a nice option yes - Quite nice low light performer. BUT: It maybe gets replaced within the next few weeks / months. (At least there were rumors of a possible "smaller" E-Mount camcorder below the FS7 - I hope for something affordable around the VG30 up to FS100 price.)

But if your friend cannot wait, definitely check (or try out) the PXW-X70. ^^

LG

• x70 sample:

• PXW-X70 users can upgrade their camcorders with 4K acquisition capability through a new paid 4K licence. The licence provides support for QFHD shooting at 30p, 25p, or 24p, bringing stunning quality and high resolution to an incredibly compact camcorder. This capability will be available from all Sony dealers to PXW-X70 users, either at the time of purchase or at any point afterwards. The list price (without tax) for the 4K upgrade (CBKZ-X70FX) will be €485.

http://www.jigsaw24.com/news/news/15531-bve-2015-sony-announces-4k-upgrade-licence-plus-improved-connectivity-and-efficiency-for-pxw-x70-pxw-x200/

• This firmware upgrade is so very interesting (beyond UHD). It speaks of live streaming (including 3G/4G not just WiFi), but no details.

I'd love to know:

• how it connects to mobile networks (USB modem?)

• Where exactly does it stream to (servers/protocols)

• 4K firmware announced

PXW-X70 Firmware V2.0

Upgrade includes a fee and will be available Summer 2015

New Features & Improvements:

Support for 4K (QFHD) Recording (optional)

This 4K recording update provides support for QFHD shooting at 30p/25p/24p and 60Mbit using XAVC-L. For projects finalized in HD, 4K recording expands the creative possibilities by enabling digital panning, camera-shake correction and other post-production effects.

In the future it can be upped to 100Mbit as on AX100.

This part must be paid.

Proxy Recording

Proxy recording supports the use of a low-bit-rate video file in place of an XAVC-format, high-bit-rate file with the same timecode. The low-bit-rate proxy file, being smaller in size, can be used in many ways to increase efficiency. The smaller file can be more easily transmitted to remote locations, while editing is greatly facilitated by the use of the smaller file, which is replaced at the completion of editing with the high-bit-rate file.

FTP Transfer

This feature supports FTP file transfers on the PXW-X70, allowing content files recorded with the XAVC Proxy Recording feature, and other content files shot in XAVC (4K/HD) and AVCHD formats, to be sent via the Internet for remote storage on an FTP server.

Streaming

This feature allows images to be streamed live from the PXW-X70 for viewing at a remote location. Data transfer rate, specified by three image quality menu settings (6, 3, and 1Mbps), can be selected to suit the network environment used.

Wired LAN Connection

When a wireless LAN is unavailable, this feature allows the PXW-X70 to be connected to the Internet over a wired connection via a separately available USB adapter cable VMC-UAM2 and Network adaptor CBK-NA1R, which is included in CBK-NA1 Network Adaptor Kit, allowing files to be streamed or transferred by FTP.

4K Upgrade License “CBKZ-X70FX”

The CBKZ-X70FX Upgrade License enables 4K recording on the PXW-X70 camcorder. The CBKZ-X70FX is an optional item that will be available for purchase in the near future. Firmware version 2.0 is also required to use the Upgrade License.

• Looks like it is a permanent price drop too, and not just a special. Now if only that included 4K rather than having to pay on top for it.

• Too bad 4k recording drops to 8 bit, 4:2:0 (back to banding and other anomalies). They should at least have a feature where the HDMI and SDI outs can output RAW UHD resolution at 10 bit 4:2:2 cleanly to an external recorder like the GH4.

Problem is, that the pro side of Sony (like most camera manufacturers) doesn't want the consumer side gimping pro camera model sales.

I'm sure it's actually quite capable of internal UHD 10 bit 4:2:2 recording since it can do real-time digital image stabilization and other processor intensive functions in the camera.

• I'm sure it's actually quite capable of internal UHD 10 bit 4:2:2 recording since it can do real-time digital image stabilization and other processor intensive functions in the camera.

Quite a logic :-)

• Sample footage from Sony