Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • It is time to remember Canon and Pentax

Left row of candles is for Canon lineup , right is for Pentax lineup.

Camera feels very comfortable in the hand, controls are with easy reach and there are seals to keep dust and moisture out. It's also very quiet to use even when shooting at 15fps so it doesn't draw attention to itself.

The EVF in the NX1 is excellent. It gives a wonderfully smooth, clear view, refreshes quickly and is a pleasure to use.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/samsung-nx1-1265386/review/

premium26.jpg
    800 x 533 - 38K
  • is it true that focus peaking does not work during movie recording?

• abolit. Not true. it works perfect in standby mode and while recording.

• @ninetto Sometimes you need a silent shutter. I often need one. If you are filming a sporting event, you won't need one perhaps....unless it is poker.

• Have any new NX1 owners gotten good results with the 120fps mode? I took the cam along on a recent shoot and am currently transcoding the footage ProRes 444 using Hybrid.

What I'm seeing from the footage so far is that the 4k looks nice, although with some blocking in underexposed areas. It's not perfect. The 1080p 120fps clips on the other hand are a complete soft blocky mess. I'm talking unhacked GH1 60p bad. I'm really hoping this is due to the transcode, but after trying one of the clips in Wondershare I'm getting the same results. I'll test out the various overcrank modes more in depth soon, really hoping there is a way to get clean slomo out of this thing.

• Contrary to some of the early reports, like Andew Reid's, you will get some aliasing and moire in 4k mode. You'll see more severely in VF than you will reviewing same footage on your computer, but it's unmistakably there. There's also some skew, contrary to what the boys at Camera Store seemed to find. But it's not terrible. Tuesday I'll try and do a comparison between GH2 and NX1 purely in terms of moire issue. If anyone is interested.

• Hey Brianl. R u using Nikon Adaptor? if so can u please post some footage of nikon glass on NX1. i wanna see how the colours look on there. and whats your thought about using AIS lenses on it. I loved the look on GH1. but hated on GH4. I have all range of glass in nikon. and skin color to me will be a major factor in deciding my video camera. Till now MX1 footages does not match. some r too good n others worse. so im confused.com. Much Appreciated if u can uopload some footage with nikon glass. thanks

• @brianl since I absolutely cannot stand aliasing, I would definitely appreciate a comparison, thanks.

• @waqarch I just have the 16-50mm f2-f2.8 lens. It's excellent btw. I have a Nikkor-o 35mm f2 but no adaptor yet.

• Tonight I did a quick test of aliasing -- comparing unhacked GH2 to NX1. I didn't have a lot of time and test isn't scientific. Both cams set to iso800, 24p, and f3.5 and both cams hand held. Subject was hepa air filters inside a gym. These filters are 36"x36" with tight contrasting pattern.

Wondershare won't convert my footage for some reason. Don't know why. Need to call tech support. So cannot upload just yet.

GH2 did not alias. NX1 did in fact alias noticeably when zoom to 50mm from a range of about 30 feet. At 16mm the aliasing wasn't visible. Switching between 4k/24p and 3.8k/30p made no difference.

I've used the NX1 in other situations and aliasing, in general, isn't a troublesome issue, as it was, IMO on the canon 7d. I've shot a little bit of rooftops and it didn't alias. However when pushed with an extreme subject, like tonight, the aliasing will show.

• I've used the NX1 in other situations and aliasing, in general, isn't a troublesome issue, as it was, IMO on the canon 7d. I've shot a little bit of rooftops and it didn't alias. However when pushed with an extreme subject, like tonight, the aliasing will show.

Well, must be normal if they use full sensor readout and rescaling.

GH4 does not use any rescale at 4K, just sensor cropping.

• Does anyone know a place where we can contact Samsung to request new features for the NX1?

For example, I would like the ability to record 24P (23.976) at 3840 x 2160. I would also like them to implement H.264 as a codec in camera. Give the user a choice of codecs. I don't want the hassle of converting HEVC to some other codec in order to edit it.

These are two issues that are preventing me from buying the camera.

• decent freeware to convert your h265 files to other formats http://www.mydiyworld.net/?p=1805

• Does anyone know a place where we can contact Samsung to request new features for the NX1?

You can post here. I am sure they read this topic :-)

• @Ralph_B

Dear Samsung, if you are reading this, we really, really need 24p at 3840x2160. If you have trouble remembering that number, multiply your TV by 2 or use one of your new 4K TVs. Also, we are very busy people and we need another codec in the cam--H.264. And, if you've read this far, buy Olympus and then have them make your lenses. Thanks.

• Yes Samsung, you've built a great camera, but you made some poor decisions in the software. If you want to expand your user base, you must understand that people have different needs. One size does not fit all. You must provide the widest choice of frame rates at all resolutions. HEVC has it's virtues, but it also has it's problems. You can solve those problems by providing H264 as an alternate codec. These are things many working professionals require.

I hope you take these suggestions to heart, because you really have built a great camera. Now go the distance and provide great software. You're close, you're so very close to making a camera that can truly compete with Sony, Panasonic and Canon.

• Samsung, I'd also like camera not to disable so many functions in video mode, such as spot meter, rule of thirds grid, histogram.

• New firmware from Samsung 1.1.0

• @agora1

Link? List of improvements?

• Samsung: bigger h265 files without compression artifacts. I'm not hurting for diskspace so much that I need every clip to be under 70megs. You've pushed the efficiency aspect too far, at the expense of the image (especially in the 120fps mode, where I have already had some very unhappy surprises after a shoot.) The potential with this camera is huge, and I really love it. Just eliminate those macroblocks please.