Personal View site logo
Haswell-E versus Ivy Bridge-E
  • So the time has come to replace my aging Samsung laptop as my main editing machine. I've put together two builds on PCPartPicker, one with the Ivy Bridge-E 4930K (3.4GHz, 6 core) and one with the Haswell-E 5930K (3.5GHz, 6-core). Aside from the CPU's, the motherboards and the RAM are the only differences (X79 vs X99 chipsets and DDR3 vs DDR4 RAM), but the price difference is less than $1. I'm in between amateur and professional, I'd like to make video/film work my primary source of income, so it does need to be stable (I'll still probably overclock slightly...the nerd in me won't let me have a stock system [most of the reason I have a GH2]), but any new workstation is going to run circles around my laptop. As far as 'future-proofing,' I think the Haswell will be the way to go, but as far as stability goes, it seems the Ivy Bridge will be the better choice. I'm probably going to go with the Haswell, but if anyone has any thoughts, please chime in.

Ivy Bridge build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/honorableninja/saved/w2wmP6

Haswell build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/honorableninja/saved/xB6NnQ

As far as hard drive setup goes, Samsung is for OS/programs, Crucial SSD for media cache/renders/export, WD Blue for media files, WD Black for archiving/old footage. I would like to have a RAID array for the archiving, but I have a bunch of external 1 and 2 TB drives that will be made redundant with the new system, so I'll use them for backups for now.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • For any new setup, get latest CPUs :-) DDR4 is more costly, yep.

• I made the orders yesterday, went with the Haswell. DDR4 is more expensive, and kind of hard to come by, but I plan on adding more RAM down the road, so I could kind of 'cheap out' on it for now.

• Got it built. The WD Black HDD went died in less than a day, so that's being RMA'ed. I have to RMA my PSU, so I'm trying to finish a bunch of projects so I can take it all apart again to send it back.. :/

photo IMG_20141012_174956_zps26754c6a.jpg

photo IMG_20141012_165009_edit_zps675bd5a2.jpg

I overclocked the 5930K, it's 4.5GHz on up to 3 cores, and 4.4GHz on 4-6 cores. RAM is at 2400MHz and I got a little out of the GTX780, it's now at 1067MHz. Performance wise, it's pretty crazy how much faster it is to work. Rendering a 5 minute project with slight color correction and unsharp mask would easily take an hour on my laptop. Now I don't even really need to render with the GTX780, and when I do it takes 10-15 minutes at the most.

• Looks cool. :-) Good advice is to change all fans to something good (just from noise and reliability part).

• The Fractal fans are actually pretty good, they're based off of one of their silence-optimized retail designs, IIRC. And the ASUS mobo has a really good fan controller.

Having said that, I'm eventually going to swap them all out for Corsair AF/SP fans...ha

• Usual recommendation is some of Noctua fans :-)

From Chinese ones - top DeepCool fans are good.

• I have the same case and FWIW, was warned against putting the SSD drive in the position where you have it -- heat. So I put it in one of the front slots instead, where it gets direct fan cooling.

The two Fractal fans are pretty good, but you can lower system temperature a few degrees centigrade by adding a fan on the side (there's a removeable cut-out). I used a Noctua, which is near silent, but only if (in that position) you put a magnetic air filter over it. Otherwise, it was the loudest thing in the system, due to some odd resonance with the case.

What are you using for a CPU cooler?

• Yeah, I considered that having them basically directly behind the CPU on the mobo tray could be problematic, but then I realized my SSD in my laptop is probably seeing higher temps than that, so I just let it ride. Since there's no moving parts in it, I'm not that concerned with the SSD's.

I got the windowed version, so there's no fan spot on the door. I like Noctua performance/noise, but until the recent all black versions (which are pretty damn expensive for fans) I never liked the poop brown color..I can get the Corsair SP120 quiet optimized fans in a two pack for the same price as a single Noctua black one.

I know I could make it a few degrees cooler and quieter, but it's near silent as it is, and it's sitting on the desk next to me. Temps under 100% load rarely exceed 50*C on the CPU. And using ASUS's fan control software, all fans rarely spin up to anything >60%.

As far as CPU cooler, I'm using a Corsair H100i top mounted. Fans are mounted to case, rad below it, pull configuration.