Personal View site logo
Bmpcc custom 3D printed cage with carry handle from Shapeways .. Interested?
  • Hi there just need a vote count for those who would buy a custom bmpcc cage with removable handle for rough $100 printed by shapeways.. Pics below are of the real product on my bmpcc just made a few minor tweaks and can't sell the design until I reprint myself. Just my solution to 300 dollar similar products and seems plenty strong with the sigma 18-50 attached lens must weigh around 1.5-2 lbs. Thanks

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Here are some computer renderings of the final design with the handle.

bmpccageback.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 260K
    bmpccagetop.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 243K
    bmpccagetop_b.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 338K
  • Good news the final design is now available on shapeways here !! http://www.shapeways.com/model/2871474/bmpcc-cage-pr.html?li=shop-results&materialId=25 It's a little different and the handle and is coming soon. Also product pics and overview videos will be added to the product page on shapeways.

• Here is some renders of the current models available on shapeways.

cagetop.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 229K
    cagetopbk.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 174K
    cagetopfr.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 286K
  • Ok! finally got the overview video done, hope you all like!

• My only suggestions would be to have the additional 1/4-20 mounting holes on the bottom be in line with the centerline of the lens mount. Most tripod plates slide along a center slot with captive 1/4-20 and/or 3/8 screws. Due to the small size of the cam, I've become partial to using Arca-compatible plates and mounts. Also, this cage would not work for anyone using the Metabones adapters, which have that Arca foot that needs to twist into place. I know that space is tight down there, but I'd rather have the cage extend farther back to leave room for 1 fore and 1 aft mount along the centerline.

• Hm, not sure what you mean by the metabones Arca plate twisting into place, I'm not that familiar with them I use the RJ speedbooster but they look like a regular dovetail mount for the baseplate to attach to and there is at least 1/2" between the cage and the flange on the bmpcc so the only issue i could see would be vertical clearance under the cage if you were to slide the tripod section backwards it might hit... Also the mounting hole on the right is offset to place it closer to the cameras center of gravity. eg. I attach a small manfrotto style plate and then when you clip on to a Merlin or some other steadicam its possible to get the thing balanced.