Personal View site logo
Dolly recommendations?
  • I'm in the market for a dolly system costing < $2,500 for a feature (see http://savingdinah.com). We're using a GH2 in a cage for most of the shots, but also a Sony EX1. There's a number of products available from Kessler Flex Track, Indie Dolly Systems, Merlin Video which fit the budget. A flex track system seems a good way to go.

So, looking for recommendations from folks who might have some experience with the products on the market.

Thanks.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • I'd suggest some more information first:

How much weight does it need to hold? A camera? A person?
    How long of a track? Do you need a dolly or a slider..
    Curved tracks? Cheaper systems usually don't have curved tracks..
    How smooth do you need it? Cheaper systems bump more at track junctions..
    Would a steadicam work better for your situations? Setting up a track takes time, doing it wrong can sometimes be worse than handheld..

• @svart, further to,

"How much weight does it need to hold? A camera? A person?"

Ideally, the camera and a person.

"How long of a track? Do you need a dolly or a slider.."

Minimum 12 feet.

"Curved tracks? Cheaper systems usually don't have curved tracks.."

Curved tracks

"How smooth do you need it? Cheaper systems bump more at track junctions.."

Smooth and silent

"Would a steadicam work better for your situations? Setting up a track takes time, doing it wrong can sometimes be worse than handheld.."

We will be using a Steadicam in some shots, but at the beginning of the film when the heroine's life is on a normal plane, the steadiness of dolly and track will work best.

Due to recent events this may all be moot. I'm negotiating a flat rate deal with a rental house for everything which I could ever want over the three week shoot.

• Take a look at the CamDolly - http://www.camdolly.com/

I actually helped design it and Met Hrovat (the inventor) is ramping up production finally on them. You won't find anything as versatile for the price.

Mike

• @chenopup, that's interesting but I've seen that "track" type stuff done in the industrial world and it's a serious pain. It rolls nice but it "wiggles" as you travel which is going to wreak havoc on your shots, especially if you are on something that is not flat.

• Svart - Absolutely - I'm not a huge fan of the flex track either but CamDolly includes it as an option anyway. The dolly itself is amazing though. Pixar even bought one last year to use for some internal stuff.

• @svart I'd stay away from any flex type track. I've heard nothing but complaints from friends that have used them. They can never get the tracks just perfect and always notice a little bump or skip in the final footage.I always see them on craigslist, pretty much brand new so that has to tell ya something as well.

• Rent a real dolly like a Fisher. And hire a dolly grip who knows how to set up the track and do reproducible moves. That's how you'll get great dolly shots.

• You can probably rent a Pee Wee for less than a Fisher. They weigh less and are plenty beefy enough for an EX or GH set up. The only issue is, the boom isn't quite as smooth as a Fisher. You will almost have to add weight to the cam if you want to boom up or down in shots. They're used to having 30-60lbs on them. Find a dolly grip with a new set of U Channel wheels, too. Bring a lot of shims/wedges/2X4 chunks/apple boxes.

• I second and third staying away from a flex track. Nothing but trouble....

• I've used the Snaptrack Cinerails and it's been great! Smooth wheels on the dolly, stable tracks with the crossbeams, and the drawstring ratchet allow you curve the 3/4" PVC pipes. And since you can use it on just about any 3/4" PVC pipes, you just go on location w/ the dolly + crossbeams and buy the PVC pipes at the local hardware store.

http://www.cinerails.com/

• @fotosiamo

Issue with most cheap US and EU things is that they do not make spreader, just attach DIY like triangles and wheels. Spreader itself is cheap Chinese thing.

You can check quite good dollies here

http://www.personal-view.com/deals/sliders/dollies

• Wait, what's a spreader? So is it a good or bad thing to have?

• As we talk about dollies as complete thing (Chinese like to call this dolly :-), I mean here triple ray thing (on your link) you put your tripod onto. In fact it plays role of floor spreader.

• Ahh gotcha. I'm actually more interested in a Dana Dolly-type of a dolly, complete with a riser for 75mm bowl. Any suggestions on affordable alternatives?