Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero4 cameras official topic
  • 186 Replies sorted by
  • Funny thing that big rumor is circulating now that they will start making drones.

• @Rambo

LOL

Why not Procter & Gamble?

GOOGLE TO BUY GOPRO?

2015 is gearing up to be an eventful year for wearable tech with Google’s acquisition of GoPro set to be one of the biggest stories.

That’s according to CCS Insight, who has just published its Predictions for 2015 and Beyond report.

“GoPro has excelled in the video and image capture market but is currently facing increased competition from new players and products,” reads the prediction.

“Google provides further investment and exploits GoPro's brand, technical expertise and devoted users to advance Google Glass. It also invests in cloud storage and video processing services for GoPro owners.”

While somewhat far-fetched, we don’t think this takeover is pure fantasy – after all, the search giant has bought out 33 companies in 2014 already, spending over $5 billion in the process.

Wareable verdict: Microsoft Band review

And while GoPro is already an established brand and would represent a huge investment for the Mountain View company, it’d be a drop in the ocean compared to the $12.5 billion that it spent on Motorola Mobility back in 2011. The action camera company went public earlier this year and, following the IPO, the company was valued at $2.95 billion - although its value has since skyrocketed. http://www.wareable.com/wearable-tech/google-to-buy-gopro-in-2015-509

• GoPro earn $1 Mil+ on from Ads on their YouTube channel per year. http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/goprocamera

• the gopro galileo is awesome

• Hero 4 Mod for Different Lenses:

http://www.back-bone.ca

• Modification kit converts a GoPro® Hero 4 camera into a professional C-Mount cinema camera.

http://www.viewfactor.net/products/camera-mods/mod-novo-h4.html

• Cool video. You can choose to watch it in 2160p.

• @PiotrJ

Here is what they published on recording times and bitrates

http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero4-black-recording-time-in-each-video-setting

and regarding battery life in each mode

http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero4-camera-battery-life

Battery life almost made me reconsider getting black but i got their charger and will get some more spares

• Any progress with 3d enclosure for Hero 4 ?

• You're wrong. Only ultra wide and superview. "medium" should be called wide

• Has GoPro published what the bitrates are for each recording resolution on the Hero4 Black with and without protune?

• 4k allows both wide and superview. The black can take an lcd back, which taxes the battery much less than wifi.

Buying a camera based on a salesman's advice generally does not work out. It's why we have forums like this, where there are plenty of videos in all modes and reports of experience.

• I got talked into a hero4 black at the camera store when I went in to buy a silver....

I'm kinda pissed they didn't mention the battery life is 40% LESS than the already poor battery life on the silver. I wanted screen for framing but the saleman said I should just use the phone app,,,,OK, I'll try.

With Wi-Fi on and a full charge I was able to record about 25 minutes of 2.7Kp30 footage. The camera was on for a total of about 35 minutes before battery dead.

I chose 2.7k because it allow "medium" instead of only "super wide" as on 4k. Well, "medium" is still way too wide and fishy.

Taking the camera back. Ptooy.

• I got mine yesterday so didn't do tests yet but while reading manual i found one peculiar section

High-Performance Video Modes and Camera Temperatures The HERO4 Black features unique high-performance video modes: 4K30/24, 4K24 SuperView, 2.7K48/50, 2.7K30 SuperView, 2.7K 4:3, 1440p80, 1080p120/90, 960p120 and 720p120. When using these video modes, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power. Using these high-performance modes in higher temperatures decreases camera recording time. In addition, lack of airflow around the camera, using the camera with the GoPro App, or in combination with BacPac accessories further increases camera temperature and power consumption, and decreases camera recording time. If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating that the camera is shutting down. The camera stops recording, saves your video, disconnects from the GoPro App, and powers off. If this happens, let your camera sit and cool before attempting to use it again. For extended recording time in high-performance video modes, capture shorter video clips when in stationary use, and/or limit your use of features that increase power consumption, such as the GoPro App or BacPac accessories. To control your camera remotely at higher temperatures, use the GoPro remote instead of the GoPro App"

Thats from page page 27

• No, and I have shot multiple 4k videos and longish time-lapses.

How long is your 4K videos? As people mostly complain for really longs ones (>1 hour without break).

• No, and I have shot multiple 4k videos and longish time-lapses. I believe some individual units are faulty and should just be exchanged.

• I see multiple overheating reports with Hero4.

Guys, do you have them?

• @Zaven13 if you're asking if rolling shutter is an issue with it handheld...yes.

• The Hero is fixed focus camera, so there is nothing to learn about focus when stationary or in action.

• It would be nice if someone could post a Hero4 4K video while camera is in action instead of secured on a tripod. It will be interesting to see how Hero4 handles focus and jitter with 4K while camera is moving.

• GoPro in St Louis, in the rain, in 4K:

• This 4K video contains fall color scenes shot in Protune flat, those clips color-graded by me in Vegas Pro, and then a clip of the same scene shot in Protune color. So you can see what you work with when shooting flat using the GoPro Black 4, and how I do compared to how the camera does in interpreting the color. I graded based on what I remembered the scene looked like ( I was going for reality, not style). Sometimes my grade looks exactly like the ooc color clip. Sometimes not.

Here is the final graded 4K video: