Personal View site logo
GH4 as a picture camera
  • 54 Replies sorted by
  • @sam_rides_a_mtb You are perfectly right. The plasticy feel of the GH2 and the clunky sound of the shutter disapeared with the GH3 which was much higher standart already (much more expensive too), but the viewfinder of the GH3 was just so terrible, especially for shooting moving subjects in video with Manual lenses. The GH4 smartly kept a very similar layout but cured the main problem of the GH3 (viewfinder and peaking) and add some more feature and a fast reactive layout. I really hope that Panasonic is going to keep the shape and button position of the GH4 for next generation. And the same battery! Beside the GH series, I am using Nikon since 28 years for my job and a pro line up always try to preserve a similar ergonomy between generation to keep user quick to adapt themself to a new model. Panasonic is having this approach since the GH3/GH4 upgrade and this is also a step up to a more professional vision of a line up.

• Have to agree. Owning GH1,2,3 and 4, the 4 finally feels like it can really compete with other pro cameras for still photography. Pro photographers I know have been impressed after handling the GH4 and seeing the results I have achieved. The speed of the camera- not just burst, but af, menu changes etc, all are wicked fast. DR also seems to have significantly improved over the previous GH cams.

• @abolit Photography is a case by case situation. Impossible to generalize. This is better than this? For whom? For which purpose? I am not speaking about pixel peeping here, I am speaking about usability of a camera for taking pictures at high speed rate. I am a professional photographer since 28 years and I always worked with cameras to create pictures I can publish or share in my class, and more than pixel counts or Sensor size, I am interested in ergonomy, efficiency and potential creativity.

I can do great shots with my FX, DX, M43, CX and compact cameras by using the strentgh of each type of camera, not by complaining about its potential weakness. please visit my website: www.francperet.com

D800 is great, but not for the kind of pictures I am posting here. The D800 is 4fps maximum while the GH4 can shoot 12fps, at least (as I am using MF). With 4fps you are missing lots of interesting shot as to fill up a glass with water only last a couple of second. I can take 8 pictures with the D800, while I am taking 24 with the GH4. Which on is better to get more chance ot have a great shot? The D800 stops after 20 or 25 shots, the GH4 can record 50 shots before to slow down and stop. To reach 1/4000s shutter speed at ISO100, I workd at f1.8 or f2. With the M43, I am having enough depth of field to record the splash, with the D800, I have to close down to f4, which means I have to increase the ISO to 400 to reach same shutter speed to freeze motion. Bigger is NOT always better. Here is a natural portrait I shot 6 years ago with a point and shoot camera. The guy didn't notice me because my camera was discreet and got a movable screen ( I didn't need to look straight to the person to shoot). This shot would not happen with a FX camera. Here are some Mixed sample, whatever format I am using. Portrait Train station (Canon A640, compact), black cat (A640, compact), street cat (D800, FX), Model at night (D90, DX), High Speed Bike (D200, DX), Sleeping guy in Black and white (Nikon1, CX), Kids in school (EM-1, M43), Round Building (GH3, M43).

140612 ShD800 (92)Ms.jpg
    1618 x 1080 - 1M
    0802Class (177)Ms.jpg
    810 x 1080 - 729K
    0812Oki (1800)M2s.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 2M
    0905 NathaliaShot (314)MBws.jpg
    717 x 1080 - 317K
    SleepMs.jpg
    1613 x 1080 - 873K
    Zhuhai05 (30)Ms.jpg
    1624 x 1080 - 2M
    140523 YN Em1 (61)Ms~1S.jpg
    1024 x 680 - 439K
    1305 XM3 D2 (413)M2s.jpg
    1400 x 933 - 2M
  • I'm not sure if GH4 can compete with D800 image quality wise. IMHO, GH4 is not even close...