Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero4 cameras official topic
  • 186 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone experiencing flickering shadows in their footage? Both my GP4 Black and a friend's have it. You can see it here from about 0:13 to 0:20:

• GoPro in the rain:

• Hello, Here's the video test I did this week with the new GoPro Hero4 on my Phantom2: http://www.5mars.com/senvoler-en-gopro-hero4/

(still in french, sorry!)

• GOPRO HERO3+

May be it is for other topic?

• Probably the best GoPro/Quad video I've seen.

This originally had to be taken down due to legal reasons ( shooting in Nat Pk no commercial permit). Permits have now been granted after the fact and it can now be shared. I watched it when it was first posted 3 weeks ago after contacting Christiaan via email and obtaining a password on the promise it wouldn't be shared.

DJI PHANTOM 2 QUADCOPTER

ZENMUSE H3-3D GIMBAL

GOPRO HERO3+

POLAR PRO ND FILTER

• As usual, I said I wasn't going to get one but I did. Still testing everything but with the new firmware it's looking good.....especially in low light. I still wish it had complete exposure control but they're getting closer. I will say that so far I haven't gotten the remote App to work but I haven't spent a lot of time on it yet.

• @markr041: thanks for the info! Updating now. ;) Will have test results tonight. Hopefully, it fixes the moire/aliasing issue...

• Here they are a little easier to follow.

image image

image.jpg
    482 x 698 - 117K
    image.jpg
    455 x 598 - 99K
  • Firmware update: HERO4 Black v2.00

New Features

• Adds Automatic shutter option for Night Lapse mode *Adds Continuous interval for Night Lapse mode

Performance Improvements

• Increases image sharpness in various video modes
    • Decreases Time Lapse shutter lag
    • Optimizes Time Lapse auto exposure performance for 0.5 and 1 second intervals
    • Decreases thumbnail load time on the LCD Touch BacPac™
    • Increases file transfer speed from camera to computer

Usability Improvements

• Simplifies Default Mode menu
    • Adds 5 min option to Auto Off
    • Displays HiLight Tags in thumbnail gallery on the LCD Touch BacPac (3rd Generation only)
    • Improves swipe and playback controls on the LCD Touch BacPac (3rd Generation only)
    • Displays the most recent video or photo first during playback on the LCD Touch BacPac

General Improvements + Bug Fixes

• Addresses an issue that may prevent pairing with the GoPro App
    • Addresses an issue that may disable live preview on the GoPro App
    • Addresses an issue that may cause the camera to appear out of range with the GoPro App
    • Improves battery level icon accuracy
    • Addresses an issue that may prevent files from being deleted
    • Addresses an issue which may cause the camera to automatically power on when connected to a computer
    • Other improvements and bug fixes
  • @Brumbazz: Yeah, it's visible in 1440, too. In fact, anything at 1920 with or lower has it at high FPS. Not sure about regular speeds. But unless you're aiming for small file sizes/max recording time, 720p has no advantage over 1080p (both max out at the same fps), and image quality isn't exactly a concern at 480p (and I hope you have good lighting!).

Gotta say, though, 4K and 2.7K are stunning, even just SOOC. And night video at 4K is completely over the top. You can do a ton of noise reduction without hurting the final image, especially if you're downsampling to 1080p. ISO 400 has the same brightness level as what your eyes actually see, and 1600 boosts the image enough to reveal more detail, even when you crush the blacks back down (necessary with the extra exposure and noise). 6400 is pretty rough, though. Kind of a last resort "I just shot Bigfoot!" kind of thing. ;)

I've been messing with the settings, and have found one that works for me 90% of the time during the day, and two 100% at night. Can't wait to put this thing to work! :D

• @BlueBomberTurbo: Great test! 1080p80 not so much (read: sucks donkey balls). The narrow seems pretty good to me.

If only it could scale like the trusty old GH2 (Panasonic that is).

I'm really curious about high framerate 1440 as the greater height seems good for post stabilization cropped to 1080.

Does that also suck?

How about 2.7Kp48 is that also Moiré hell?

• 4K Wide versus 4K Superview!

• Well, this isn't any fun:

• For my eye 4K from GP4 is not that fishy as HD from GP3. Is it not that wide or not that distorted? Any thoughts?

• What is the battery life shooting at 4K for the Hero4?

• There are only two reasons to upgrade to the Black 4:

1. Better video quality - the 4K videos viewed at 1080 are stunning. Much better than the line-skipping HD of the 3.

2. Better audio quality - the audio has much better dynamic range and less noise than the 3 and works with more external mics.

If video and audio quality are not that important, stay with what you have.

• @Tron I always run my GoPro 3 Black with the back door off when I use the frame. It would always overheat and melt the battery with the door on.

I knew that moving the battery door to the bottom was a bad idea. I wouldn’t touch a GoPro 4 with a 10 foot pole. They botched this camera. Good thing my GoPro 3 Black still gets the job done.

• GoPro Hero 4 Black 4K Time-Lapse. Cropped from 4:3 12MP stills to 4K 16:9 video. Protune color, WB fixed at 6500K.