Personal View site logo
Varavon BirdyCam gimbal
  • 106 Replies sorted by
  • Had the chance to check both the Birdycam and Ronin at IBC. The Ronin is much nicer but kinda heavy (I tested it with an Epic). The Birdycam is super light but feels like a typical Varavon product, quite ok but not pro grade. Also when pushed its motors were struggling and making weird sounds which was considered normal by the salespeople in their booth. The Birdycam still has the great advantage of size/weight, but for that price? Simply no way..

• The Birdycam is super light but feels like a typical Varavon product, quite ok but not pro grade

Like it :-) I'll tell them to add Apple logo to calm you :-)

Also when pushed its motors were struggling and making weird sounds which was considered normal by the salespeople in their booth.

What does it mean?

• I got my birdycam last week, and I am pretty impressed with it. I like the foldable design and easy adjustment knobs. Setup out of the box was super easy, took me about 20mins or so to get familiar with the adjustment knobs to balance a gh4 with 12-35mm on it. after that it took about 5mins to set it up for 20-25-35mm focal lengths which was 2-4mm increments backwards and 1-2mm adjustment on the Yaw. The adjustable stand with level bubble is a nice touch as well as the locking knobs for quick re calibration if needed.

Used it on a shoot the other day and I have to say the ease in changing focal lengths on the thing made up for its price tag. Having the joystick with the 5 custom presets is great and the ability to fine tune through the app on the spot is great too. All the gimbals now days can probably do this. Ended up flying the gimbal all day and you could feel it in the arms after a while especially when holding with one arm and locking focus with the other at face eye level. I think my arms would have fallen off if it was the Ronin which was my other purchase choice but weight in the end, joystick and collapsable arms made me choose the birdycam. It can do briefcase mode too like the Ronin which i wasn't too sure it could do, but you could also just fold the arms back and its the same thing.

Had some concerns running a not so flexible hdmi cable from the cam fearing it would put the gimbal off balance but it flew fine. On the look out for an ultra thing micro hdmi cable now. Suggestions anyone?

I did notice the motors producing high pitch frequency sound on high, kind of went away on ultra high, and disappeared on low. Will have to look into that a bit more.

It also uses the odd 0.7mm dc sized plug so I couldn't use any of my other 12v power supplies on the day of the shoot so your stuck using their batteries unless you cut it and put on a universal dc adapter plug. Not ready to do that just yet ha. If anyone knows of 0.7mm dc adapter or where I could find a 0.7mm female dc plug thats not made for a circuit board that would be great.

I'd have to agree that the price is a bit much for it. If it had stayed at or just below the 2k mark as originally announced then I'd say its pretty good value for money considering it falls between the Ronin and lower budget gimbals. It may not be the best looking gimbal but its a well thought out gimbal in my books so far.

• Thanks @_OZ urgh..$70 shipping to Australia. where is the logic in that.

not sure if those coil cables will work too well with the gimbal if they pull against it when extended.

• well, I've gone and done it. I bought one. It was between this and the ronin. The ronin is probably better but it's just too heavy. Do not underestimate how heavy a loaded gimbal will be. Camera, lens, monitor, gimbal, easy to get north of 10kg total, all on your arms.

I have heard nothing but good things about the birdy cam. Cheesy cam recently showed how you can use your phone to control the gimbal movements.

I will also try it on a vest and arm after I get it going. I'll be using the vest arm just as a rest to take the weight in-between runs not as a balance point. I'll be trying to run it with a gh2 and tokina 11-16 lens and a blackmagic cc also with that lens. Varavon has guaranteed me that that setup is within spec weight. I'm an experienced steadicam user with dslr size loads.

When I've had several days with it, I will be doing extensive reviews. It better be a really good gimbal or varavon will have to run for cover.

• BIRDYCAM REVIEW

Here is a quick review for anyone thats interested in the Varavon Birdycam. I received it in on my doorstep within 4 days or so after ordering it through the PV deals on this forum. As you all know it comes in its own soft carry bag which is well padded and nice and easy to pack and transport around. It is as others have noted not something you would check in on an airplane. Has all the compartments for the stand, gimbal, batteries, and charger. The charger cut out now holds my DP4 monitor.

photo BIRDYCAM-1_zpse36e2608.jpg photo BIRDYCAM-17_zps7c58c26e.jpg

STAND

I really like the leveling stand that it comes with, the levelling bubble and adjustable feet making setup on any uneven surface dead easy. I decided to shoot some quick test shots at my local multi story carpark on the up ramps and it took me less than a minute to setup the stand station. Not sure how quick or easy it would have been with the traditional gimbal stands I’ve seen online. The stand also lets you quickly setup the Y axis with a simple lift and tilt of the unit.

photo BIRDYCAM-2_zps34d98a64.jpg photo BIRDYCAM-3_zpsd0d6bfe4.jpg photo BIRDYCAM-4_zpsfd933121.jpg

LOCKING SCREWS

A really good feature that they have that isn't really mentioned. The unit comes with locking screws on all 3 axis that fixes the unit in place for transportation. I found it very useful for doing quick recalibrations also. However the Y axis lock hits the remote pin/cable when rotated more than 900deg. This is a problem when the camera is attached and it accidentally swings off power during transportation as it may break the connection with the added weight. Has happened a couple times. I can see the pin/connection breaking over time. An adapter plate may fix this.

photo BIRDYCAM-7_zpsfaf13b23.jpg photo BIRDYCAM-12_zps881a20da.jpg photo BIRDYCAM-9_zps03eeda43.jpg photo BIRDYCAM-15_zps63b5fecc.jpg

GROUND STAND

A nice little feature that lets you sit the gimbal down when the stand isn't available. Works well if the handles are balanced. By this I mean if there is equal battery weight distribution. I found that if the camera had one battery mounted and the surface wasn’t 100% flat the handle would flick around offset balance causing the gimbal to fall. It also increases the possibility of Y axis locking screw hitting and breaking the remote connection as mentioned above.

photo BIRDYCAM-11_zps726d6735.jpg

BALANCING THE CAMERA

The adjustment knobs makes this thing really fast to setup. Having the numeric rulers lets you remember settings for different lens combinations for quick setup. I was able to adjust the GH4 & 12-35mm at focal lengths of 12mm/20mm/35mm with in 5mins of initial setup. With this lens combo I could quickly switch between all 3 focal lengths at a 12mm setup with it not throwing the balance too far off if needed for quick changes. But for proper adjustments for these focal lengths only need to bring the camera back in 2mm increments and adjust the Y axis by 0.5-1mm increments. It becomes very quick once you remember the values.

photo BIRDYCAM-10_zpse100c4d4.jpg

photo BIRDYCAM-14_zps2f921903.jpg

QUICK RELEASE PLATE

The quick release plate is of a simple dove tail design with a safety pin which is very nice to have for piece of mind. Very easy to adjust.

photo BIRDYCAM-13_zps8dcb6fe1.jpg

photo BIRDYCAM-8_zps43807b13.jpg

REMOTE

The remote work very well with the default setup. Has a nice and responsive feel to it. Toggling through the different profile setups through the push button of the joystick is quick and easy.

photo BIRDYCAM-6_zps7844e767.jpg

MOTORS

I think the motors are the 6208 models. Very smooth. I did find however that they produced a high pitch on high frequency, almost silent on ultra high, but silent on low which was quite interesting.

BATTERY LIFE

Battery supplied is a selectable 7v to 12v battery. Very well built with a nice matte rubber non slip coating with handy LED battery level display. Charging time is about 2hrs or so from memory. I didn't do a scientific test just real life on set usage. It lasted about 3hrs or so of heavy use, didn't really keep track. Always good practice to have a second battery on set.

photo BIRDYCAM-5_zpse9deb6a7.jpg

HANDLES

The foldable handle design is a great feature for shooting and transportation. It quickly folds into a flat profile for quick packing into the case as well as allowing you to shoot in “briefcase mode”. Comfortable and easy to hold. I added a tripod screw adapter inside the top handle for better balanced placement of the monitor. I think Varavon should include this in their design as its a versatile mounting point.

photo BIRDYCAM-16_zps0257420c.jpg

HANDLING

The gimbal is pretty much ready to fly out of the box with the GH4 once balanced. I found the speed of the follow mode on the Y axis to be a little slow with the default setup. Adjustment was easy to make using the smartphone app and bluetooth connection.

The weight isn't too heavy, very manageable fully loaded with battery camera and monitor. It will give you a nice little workout at the start if you are not used to flying a gimbal. Due to the camera sitting low you have to adjust to flying the gimbal a little higher which tires the arms a little. I think that goes with most of the gimbal designs today. That or learn to fly it with the handles down below.

As a solo shooter focusing is a little tricky. For now I use focus lock in combination to half press shutter focus via wireless remote. Am now considering mounting my phone for easier access to camera settings and focus locking.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The overall design and build quality of the gimbal is great. Apart from the issue with the Y axis locking screw hitting the remote connection, it is in my view a well thought out gimbal. I was after a gimbal that wasn’t overly heavy, super easy to setup, well made and easy to use and the Birdycam has so far ticked all the boxes for me. It has definitely changed the way I shoot, giving me more options to be more creative, a creative/shooting investment.

Price is a subjective thing but I think that if it was priced around the 2k mark as originally announced it would be the best value gimbal out there to date. At 2.5k I thought it was a bit too much and was on the fence between this and the Ronin. At 2.35k here on PV Deals I still felt it was a bit overpriced but justified the remote and weight to be the deciding factor. At 2k I wouldn't have thought twice =)

Would I recommend this gimbal to others? YES. photo IMAG0657_zps85fd2e50.jpg photo IMAG0665_zps08a2411b.jpg

TEST FOOTAGE

Here is some quick test footage I shoot last week before having to fly off. This would have to be the second time flying it so it is as raw as possible in terms of user experience and out of the box results. Shot in 4k to display worse case shooting scenario in terms of capturing motion and rolling shutter. No stabilisation done in post. Mainly shot at 12mm with one or two shot at 35mm.

• Private vimeo link, mate.

Edit: my bad, just have to go to vimeo to view it.

• Wow! Just got mine in from Vitaliy's deal, was up and flying with a GH4 and the heavy Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 in under 10 min, from just out of the box. Amazing. This thing balances so quickly. Now I just need to figure out what the presets are, and probably adjust the follow speed. As best as I can tell it works great right now. I'll post some footage when I get out and shoot with it - still waiting on my DP4 to come in.

BTW that is a great deal - free FAST shipping - it was on my door within a week and that's to Canada which is notoriously slow for customs and other international deliveries. Great job Vitaly and Varavon and thanks for putting that deal together. This rig is definitely worth the price. It's superbly made, just the right balance between "rugged" and lightweight for ease of use, and easily has the power for my admittedly fairly heavy combo, no question. The ergonomics of the rig are fantastic, too. Very glad I got this it is really a tremendously well thought out rig.

• The simply massive Varavon Birdycam review. In a staggering 9 parts. I go over all things gimalesk that I have discovered and grappled with over the last several weeks, focused of course on the Birdycam.

http://vimeopro.com/kevinconder/gear-review-the-varavon-birdycam

• Great detailed review. I think that the Varavon is the best gimbal for mirrorless and compact DSLR's at this time, though there are less expensive alternatives. Varavon's main advantage is the clever design that allows for relatively fast and easy balancing.

But please be aware that the part 4 that is reviewing the PID settings has some misleading information. PID does not stand for "Power, Interval, and Dampening." It stands for Proportional + Integral + Derivative controller, which is the most used type of process controllers today.

Basically, it is a combination of three controllers: Proportional, Integral, and Derivative. PID parameters do control the power, dampening and speed of the process, but not in the way the video is presenting it. I think It will be very helpful to get a basic understanding of the PID workings before you start changing the settings. Wikipedia has an useful introductory article to start with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

• Sure. It just that those pid terms are more or less incomprehensible. That is what they do is pretty much do, in testing, P- engine, I- speed up the time of the movement check, Dampen- soften the vibration.

But sure, those are not correct by definition and that's not exactly what they do. But I wanted to make the info usable. Thinking that way worked for me, I think that's what I said at one point. But I'd be lying if I said I understood all that. It is a review of the birdycam and not a pid setting summary, after all.

I will link to any useable, understandable and testable summary of how changing those values effects a gimbal in real life, rather than theory. The real problem I think is that there needs to be software, on a gimbal by gimbal basis from the manufacturer that is clearer and more user friendly.

But your points are valid.

• If you’re looking for an affordable gimbal for your GH4, a7S, BMPCC, 5D mkIII etc I would really recommend the Birdycam II. It is quick to set up and balance and provides good results. I just wish they made clearer instructions for first time users.

I used it recently on a shoot for a show where the majority of the footage was that hand-held look (I can’t show you the results yet, as the program has yet to go to air). The Birdycam II performed really well and gave me a much more polished look than if I had gone hand-held with a normal camera. I am by no means an expert using gimbals, but with more practise I’m sure my results will only continue to improve

The Birdycam II is available at PV for good discount compared to usual retail.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/04/05/the-well-priced-varavon-birdycam-ii-brushless-gimbal-is-it-good-for-news-and-documentary-work/

• Tuning the Birdycam 2’s profiles is probably the only complicated thing about this gimbal. The learning curve is high, but once you’re familiar with the SimpleBGC GUI software, you can really dial in the Birdycam 2’s behavior to suite your needs.

All in all, Varavon’s Birdycam 2 gimbal hits the sweet spot of being easy to use, providing solid performance, and delivering smooth footage. It is a strong contender if you are shooting with lightweight cameras like the Panasonic GH4 and Sony a7S and need a gimbal that can pack down into a small space for traveling

http://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/varavon-birdycam-2-review-02/

• still using. still love the thing. Even after some time, I'm not convinced there is anything on the market better than this. The new lightweight ronin looks interesting and is cheap, but I can see lots of things the birdycam is better with. I know birdys better than the high priced early gimbals. It's solid, versatile. Wish it had better and proprietary software, that's my only bitch. Physically I think it's just incredibly well-engineered. I've figured out how to use a vest/steadicam arm with it for bigger BMCC size cameras.

• BirdyCam LITE Gimbal

• Birdycam Lite demo