Personal View site logo
Windows 10 aka Windows Total Horror!
  • 80 Replies sorted by
  • Still the hard drives in these laptops are insane slow and clearly require a SSD to get a more decent user experience. I wouldn't buy these laptops at all.

:-)

Asus makes many good laptops. Just personal experience. And for normal work most HDDs are pretty fine. So, do not understand complains. Personally upgraded around 20 computers, tablets and laptops to Win 8.1. Various things can happen, but all are fixable fast and all went smooth in the end.

• @Spectra

This is partly a windows 8.1 problem. Asus sells laptops as windows 8.1 but they are just windows 8. It is because at the time they couldn't be upgraded to windows 8.1, I tried several times. Only recently you can update them to windows 8.1 without a problem and after that they run fine for the first time ever. Still the hard drives in these laptops are insane slow and clearly require a SSD to get a more decent user experience. I wouldn't buy these laptops at all.

• I recently got an ASUS RJ550K ROG laptop with Win 8.1 on it and ran classic shell as a start button replacement....perhaps it was because of the pre-installed version of Win8.1 on this particular laptop but I always had to deal with apps and touch interface stuff like the charm bar and I didnt want that stuff clogging up my machine any longer not to mention all the ASUS pre-installed bloatware.

Anyway recently added an SSD boot drive and found Win7 x64 drivers for everything and am running Win7 now...couldnt be happier. Thanks for the info.

• Why would any sane or rational person want any touchscreen support/apps installed on a workstation where all the pro design/graphics/video software they use has a time tested and far more efficient wimp interface and doesnt have a touchscreen display anyway?

You already can set Desktop as default boot (windows 8.1 does it itself if you are not on tablet).

Install any of good Start button replacements and you will never see any of touch part.

Only touchscreen mode, even on tablets is useless due to Microsoft allowing only applications developed in their VS and signed by them (ala Apple), and all of them have big restrictions. Hence many good apps actually work in desktop mode.

• The ONLY feature I want to see in the new Windows version is an option to install in one of three modes...

Desktop mode (Desktop/Workstation/Server PC's) Touchscreen mode (Tablets/Smartphones) Desktop/Touchscreen Hybrid mode (AKA Win 8 mode/POS mode - for touchscreen supported laptops)

Why would any sane or rational person want any touchscreen support/apps installed on a workstation where all the pro design/graphics/video software they use has a time tested and far more efficient wimp interface and doesnt have a touchscreen display anyway?

Windows is bloated enough already without the need for useless charm bars etc.