Personal View site logo
Olympus OM-D E-M1 topic
  • 193 Replies sorted by

E-M1 takes it to a further step. While it may not be as small or look as nice as it’s elder brother, it’s control is dramatically improved especially for the advance users who want direct, and fully customizable control. The image quality, IBIS and autofocus system are all excellent. It has a tough, weather proof body that can survive a bit of punishment All together it means the E-M1 is a camera that is capable of professional use.

http://photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review/

olym.jpg
    800 x 545 - 61K
  • (FT4) Image of the 4K video setting on the E-M1!

This is certainly going to be one of the weirdest rumors I have ever worked on. But here is a screenshot taken from the Olympus E-M1 menu showing the 4K video recording settings. Like I told you before many testers of the soon to be launched 2.0 firmware version have not seen that 4K feature. So the possibilities are two:

1) Olympus hiding the feature for most of them or 2) Olympus is testing that feature on a more advanced firmware to be released some time after the 2.0 version.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-image-of-the-4k-video-setting-on-the-e-m1/

4K_zps6f6def43.jpg
    946 x 394 - 202K
  • The latest rumor debunks the previous rumor that debunked the rumor before it. The conspiracy plot thickens. Now there are two groups of testers: those who tested still features whose firmware leaked and a secret group of video centric testers. Ha-ha! I like that!

Personally I couldn't care less about 4K but 25p would be more than welcomed.

• not uncommon to field a variety of firmwares in testing

• It would be really awesome if it is true.

• I really hope this is true as well! Sensor shift stabilization in 4k would seal the deal for me. Fingers crossed.

• The award-winning flagship Olympus OM-D E-M1®, with the world’s first 5-axis image stabilization, TruePic VII image processor and Live MOS sensor is now more iconic than ever before, with the introduction of new firmware Version 2.0, enabling tethered shooting, In-Camera Digital Shift and Live Composite, and much more, also now available in a sleek, classy silver body.

Professional Workflow
    In response to market demand, the new Olympus OM-D E-M1, with firmware Version 2.0 is equipped with USB tethered shooting capabilities, ideal integration in the workflow for studio photographers, utilizing Olympus’ new Olympus Capture studio tethering application. The E-M1 connects to a computer via a USB cable, and the free Olympus Capture software mirrors the camera’s Live View on the computer monitor, enabling easier, stress-free collaboration and sharing with other parties involved in a photo shoot. The software also allows the photographer to operate the camera directly from the computer.

In-Camera Digital Shift
    Using two dials, firmware Version 2.0 features in-camera Digital Shift, or Keystone Compensation, allowing you to correct the converging lines of trapezoidal distortion in Live View, without the need for a shift lens or post-processing. In combination with 5-axis Image Stabilization, Dual FAST AF and its dust, splash and freezeproof body, in-camera Digital Shift makes the Olympus OM-D E-M1 ideal for capturing images of buildings from a variety of angles, in virtually any condition.

In-Camera Creativity
    New features, including the popular Live Composite Mode, previously introduced in the OM-D E-M10, expand the user’s creative potential. Live Composite Mode is a tool that offers previews of long exposures in Live View, a perfect tool for anyone looking to easily capture light trails when shooting a star-filled sky, or shooting fireworks in flight. Two new Art Filters, both with three types of finish, add to your creative options, with a total of 14 Art Filters. New Vintage and Partial Color, boost the potential for easy, artistic photos using on-camera effects. Vintage lends images a nostalgic charm, while Partial Color emphasizes a specific portion of the photograph, utilizing an intuitive color ring of 18 available color hues, leaving the remainder of the image black and white.

Designed with Detail
    Inherited from the OM models of the film era, the Olympus OM-D E-M1 is now available in a strikingly beautiful silver magnesium body with classy aluminum dials and controls.

Other New Features and Functionality
    Other features for improved performance include improved EVF display time lag. The display time lag has been reduced to 16 msec when the frame rate has been set to high speed. New Photo Story themes "Zoom In/Out" and "Layout" have been added. The addition of a hold function has also made it possible to temporarily save a photo story while shooting, and complete it, later. Live Guide makes it possible to layer on multiple effects simultaneously*. Remote shooting features in the OI.Share™ App have been further advanced, with the addition of a self-timer sequential and interval shooting, allowing for rich variations in movement and expression. A new Scene Mode “Panning” allows you to set the optimal shutter speed automatically to match the movements of an object. “Shade” Art Effect inserts bands of shading on the left and right side of the image (or top and bottom) for a sense of wideness. A new Movie Effect "Old Film" turns your videos into flickering images with noise, scratches and dust, for the vintage look of old movies shot on film.

Firmware Upgrade Availability
    Firmware Version 2.0 is pre-installed on the Olympus OM-D E-M1 silver model. Existing OM-D E-M1 camera owners can also enjoy the features of this new firmware by upgrading their camera using Olympus Viewer software.

• In response to market demand, we have decided to ignore all the videographers on the planet.

• So the 4K/240 with IBIS fantasy is over (for now)?

• Looks like that the 4k firmware was tested in beta with some people, but had issues.

It's ok not to implement 4k in a body that was not designed for it. But no better codec or 24/25p in 1080p is absolutely ridiculous.

• Hi, do any of you have any issues with the 2x teleconverter after the FW2.0 update? Can't seem to be able to activate it anymore when recording in video mode...

I couldn’t be happier with the O-MD E-M1. The Olympus performed admirably and consistently on this trip. Exposures and focus were dead nuts on. When I needed to focus manually, the focus peaking worked perfectly. The ergonomics of the camera are pretty good and I could certainly operate everything with the set up I had.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cameras/two_weeks_with_the_olympus_e_m1.shtml

g7x_test51.jpg
    447 x 617 - 51K
  • After 4 month of hardly using EM1 at video works:

Cons: Huge disappointment of its colors at video and JPEG. I even like image quality of EPL5 more, despite low bitrate and only 2-axis IBIS. Missing EM5... GH4 makes really good colors at daylight.

Lot of EM1 bodies at market after month of using lost rear wheel operation.

AF-C autofocus works far from expected.

Photo: "Dramatic" effect less less lovely than EM5

Pros: Better bitrate slightly helps with macro blocking. But it far far from hacked GH2 or GH4. Better build quality helps for handling without buying battery grip.

Very good IBIS stabilization.

Little less aliasing than EM5.

Less sudden brightness changing because of IBIS bug.

Almost gone #ColorClipping while shooting at colored party lights, it was very bad at EM5 Sony sensor.

Better buffer using for speed photography, non-stop shooting at burst mode! RAW photo is very good after Lightroom. WiFi is very usefull.

• @act Have you tried using vivid colour mode? I'm no colour expert but I have managed to get pleasing colours, to my eye at least, using vivid and then correcting in post-especially compared to my GH3.

• @mat33 Yes, using Vivid mode can help. It's just prove that EM1 very different camera than EM5.

• I have posted this elsewhere, so apologies, but will add here as was largely shot on the E-M1 with only a few of the wide shots on GH3 and GoPro.

• Firmware v3.0

February 5, 2015 The award-winning flagship Olympus OM-D E-M1, featuring 5-axis image stabilization, TruePic VII image processor and tethered shooting, is now more impressive than ever before. With the introduction of new firmware Version 3.0, the weather-resistant camera is now capable of an impressive maximum 9 fps in the C-AF sequential shooting mode when using a Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds lens, improving the ability to capture moving subjects.

The newest firmware upgrade features an enhanced algorithm for phase-detection, raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps. With this update, AF tracking performance is improved when using continuous-AF (C-AF) Sequential H mode. When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used. Now, when capturing a quick-moving subject, photographers never need to miss the shot. A maximum 10 fps remains available when set to single-AF (S-AF) Sequential H mode.

The update also adds support for the latest Version 2.5 of the Olympus Image Share Android and iOS app. Users can now select Movie as a shooting mode, and record movies while viewing the Live View screen on a smartphone.

• Robin Wong Olympus EM5II worth a good look, many nice samples

high res, crops, IS samples, video etc etc

http://robinwong.blogspot.com.au/

• Firmware update v4.0 coming two cameras

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp

Focus Stacking Mode (OM-D E-M1 only)

Focus Stacking Mode let you shoot macro photos that are completely in focus at all depths. A single press of the shutter button captures 8 shots with different focal positions, automatically merging them into a single shot on the camera. Depth of field larger than that of minimum aperture and high resolution without diffraction can be achieved.

Focus Bracketing Mode

This function captures up to 999 shots with the focus position for each shot being changed, allowing you to use photo retouching software to merge the images with larger depth of field that cannot be achieved in focus stacking mode (8 shots).

S-OVF (Simulated OVF)

S-OVF enables a view that is similar to that of an optical viewfinder.

Exposure compensation and white balance are purposely not shown in S-OVF so that users who are comfortable with the optical viewfinder in DSLR cameras can use the camera in the exact same way.

Movie-Exclusive Picture Mode: Flat (OM-D E-M5 Mark II only)

Movie-Exclusive Picture Mode Flat provides beautiful post-editing or grading color by lowering the contrast to minimize highlight blowouts and loss of detail in shadows.

Synchronized PCM Audio Rec. with Movie Recording

Functions have been added for shooting movies when connecting Olympus Linear PCM Recorder LS-100 via USB cable. Slate Tone can be added to make it easier to synchronize the audio and image after recording is complete, and a function for synchronizing the start of audio recording with movie recording on the camera is also available.

Enhanced functions on Olympus Capture Version 1.1

You can customize the display of items on the Super Control Panel so that only the required functions are displayed, and you can change the layout for easier access of the most frequently used functions. Direct PC saving is also available and the transfer speed is made faster by saving images directly to a computer without recording to an SD card. Transfer speed is improved up to 4 times faster than before. Tether shooting capabilities are also expanded. Features such as Keystone Compensation are now available to operate via a computer by connecting the camera to a computer.

MF Clutch and Snapshot Focus Disable

You can change settings from the menu to disable MF Clutch and Snapshot Focus.

Latest firmware for M.Zuiko Pro and Premium lenses

Along with this latest firmware upgrade, latest firmware for the M.Zuiko Pro and Premium lenses will also be released. Aperture drive has been improved for smooth exposure control even when shooting movies in situations with sudden changes in brightness. It also supports for disabling the MF Clutch and Snapshot Focus.