Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • @kurth: As far as I understood from one LX100 preview I watched, the "photo oriented 4k video mode" just records some meta data in the video file that allows to export proper EXIV data when you extract a JPEG from the video (using the cameras feature to do so). And even though not absolutely conclusive, I understood the advertising of the aperture, shutter and aspect ratio knobs such that you could use them whenever you want, also in video mode.

BTW: I like the decision from Panasonic to have no "P/S/A/M" dial but just one "auto" per dial, instead.

• Hmmm... have a look at this video from 02m:00s to 02m:10s and from 02m:23s to 02m:33s:

Why does the commenter say the awful horizontal bands are not "that bad"? It think, they look horrible. ISO 800 and 1600 should not exhibit such image defects, IMHO. Hope this can be fixed.

• ok...I have a question, or questions ....

Since you have physically manual control of aspect ratio, shutter speed and aperture on the camera, can you , for example shoot 1:1 4k video using the creative mode filters and manually control the shutter speed and aperture using the dials. BTW, I believe on all previous recent panasonics, you could NOT control exposure in creative mode using for example dynamic b&w. I realize this question is probably premature until the camera is released but the possibilities of this , to me , are very useful, if it can be done. Perhaps in the 4k video mode for photo capture ?

ok, in the specs it says all aspect ratios are selectable in 4k photo mode. Has anyone read what kind of file is this ? A photojpeg file ? Or is it either avchd or mp4 ? I know alot of folks who'd like 4k in 1.33:1 for example. Another thing interesting about the specs is that they have a placeholder for high speed video but it's blank. Maybe coming in a fw upgrade ? Here's the pany page if it hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/compact-cameras/dmc-lx100.html

...so the remaining question is does the camera allow manual exposure in the creative control mode ?

• @Vitaliy & @DrDave: This video was posted earlier, already, and I already wrote a comment on it in this thread.

• They ripped that video and downsampled it to 1080p. The 4K version is here

I was just in Berlin so I recognized it immediately.

• More numbers from Amazon USA , if true, major bummer:

4K video can be recorded for up to 15 minutes. When recording in 4K, use a SD card rated UHS Speed Class 3.

Motion pictures in AVCHD can be recorder for up to 29 minutes, 59 seconds.

Motions pictures in MP4 (FHD/HD/VGA) can be recorded for up to 29 minutes, 59 seconds, or up to 4GB.

• Does anybody know for about how long the LX100 will be able to record 4K video before the battery runs out?

• BhPhoto changed the specs on the page to read "Video Clip Length Up to 60 Minutes Limited by Memory Card Capacity " So we now have all the numbers from 15-60 covered in different versions of the specs.

• The LX100 have 1080/24p.

1920 x 1080 pixels, 50p (FHD: 28Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 50fps) (Dolby)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 24p (FHD: 24Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 24fps) (Dolby)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 25p (FHD: 24Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 25fps) (Dolby)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 50i (FHD: 17Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 50fps) (Dolby)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 50p (FHD: 28Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 50fps) (AAC)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 25p (FHD: 20Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 25fps) (AAC)/1280 x 720 pixels, 25p (HD: 10Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 25fps) (AAC)

• Really like so much about this compact. But other than the 4K and a larger sensor (surely there are other reasons like the physical buttons). Still, no ND filters, no 1080/24p, no cinelike profiles (which is asking too much), and no articulating screen.

For stills on the go, my LX7 will likely continue to serve me well for right now. I use it on set all the time.

I noticed talk about the lens on this camera maybe finding its way onto our interchangeable cams. Any truth to that?

• @Leto if you mean edge over ax100 sharpness and moire, then no. -BUT hell man, its on same level as GH4 for half the price and isnt the sharpness of the GH4 4K not enough ??? -and the LX100 100mbps handles motion way better than the ax100 60mbit -1 stop better low light than GH4 f2.8 and miles away from the ax100 in low light and at least 1stop better DR than ax100. -...hell, this is the real pocket cinema camera, and not the BM fail

• If those DPreview charts are based on the actual crop factor then the numbers are pretty impressive!

As someone really only interested in video aspects... does Sony still have an edge due to "full sensor readout"?

• @Leto

The dpreview charts are based on a 2.2x crop factor for 4:3 aspect ratio I believe. Yes it is slight-of-hand. However, it isn't really that much. It is about the same as the difference between Canon A-PSC and Nikon A-PSC.

• I keep seeing really amazing "equivalent apetures" charts but are they basing those charts on the actual area of the sensor which is used or on the nominal "4/3" designation. It's pretty clear tjis camera is not really m4/3 because the lens doesn't cover the whole sensor and calling it that is a bit of marketing slight-of-hand.

• sorry..I stand corrected. So we won't see the lens as a standalone....but it would probably cost the same as the camera anyway ! Regardless, Panasonic did a great job. Always out front !

• Here are the exact equivalent focal lengths for the various modes.

Focal Length f = 10.9 - 34mm/(24 - 75mm in 35mm equiv in 4:3, 3:2, 16:9)/(28 - 88mm in 35mm equiv. in 1:1)/(28 - 87mm in 35mm equiv. in 4:3 in 4K Photo recording)/(27 - 84mm in 35mm equiv. in 3:2 in 4K Photo recording)/(26 - 81mm in 35mm equiv. in 16:9 in 4K video / 4K Photo recording)/(32 - 101mm in 35mm equiv. in 1:1 in 4K Photo recording)

• It is a crop of an 4/3s sensor. The lens may be able to cover the whole m4/3s sensor, although I doubt that is the case. Most likely the entire sensor is never used for imaging. It is always a portion of the sensor equivalent to a 2.2x crop factor that is being used. At least that is the case for all aspect ratios except 1:1.

For 1:1 it uses a very small portion of the sensor. Probably closer to what a 1 inch sensor would be.

My guess is that since they already have the 4/3s sensors made up they decided to use that instead of a proper sized sensor for the lens. That gave them the added benefit of multiaspect ratio. They couldn’t use a full 4/3s sensor because it would require too big of a lens for the apertures and focal lengths they wanted.

What is really interesting is that in 4K 16:9 widescreen video mode the LX100 will have an even greater crop than in stills 16:9 mode. You will lose a little on the wide end. However, because of the extra resolution in video mode you will probably be able to get a tighter 1080p field of view than any of the 1 inch sensor cameras can achieve even though some of those cameras have more reach in their lenses.

This LX100 is shaping up to be a world beater I think.

• The reports are that is not a oversized sensor - it's the 16mp sensor from the GX7, and with the crop to multi-scale, the pictures are taken with 12mp resolution.

Let's wait some time for clarification. May be it is really lens that can not cover all m43 sensor.

• The reports are that is not a oversized sensor - it's the 16mp sensor from the GX7, and with the crop to multi-scale, the pictures are taken with 12mp resolution.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100

• But I don't know if this crop factor is official info or just some rumor.

It seems to be your fantasy. If it is oversized sensor - it is same size as GH2.

• @kurth
    The way I understood it was that it was a multi-aspect inside a 4/3 sensor, with a resulting crop factor of 2.2 (where the GH2 had a oversized sensor, which result in a crop factor of 2 for 4/3, and a bit less for 16/9). But I don't know if this crop factor is official info or just some rumor.

• god bless panasonic !