Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @rNeil Impressive feedback! Thank you, this is very interesting. I never try that settings, so it will be my next test.

MOV 50Mbps IPB 1080p50 PAL Neutral -5, -5, -3, -3 ISO 320 (mostly) Shutter 1/100

This short edit is a test of how do I need to expose my shots with the GH3. It was also a great opportunity to see how the weather sealed body is impacted or not by the rain.

I've used only two lenses : Olympus 45mm 1.8 (with Vari ND) and Canon FD 35-105 f3.5 with RJ Lens Turbo. I've recently shot FMX and I've found that the Canon FD and the Panasonic kit lens (14-42) give some moire on the image. So this test was also made for checking moire with this two lenses.

I find that the GH3 need to be expose for highlights, shadows keep enough details and can be recover in post. Be careful with the noise. GH3 tends to be (very) noisy - even at low ISO - when you try to gain the maximum of dynamic range. Although it has just 50mbps MOV codecs, I find it pretty stable and robust for post. Don't try big corrections or grades of course. I've edited it directly in Premiere Pro without encoding.

I've used FilmConvert, Neat Video, Fast color correction and some curves for achieving the look. It was a good test for the denoiser and this codec. You can smooth the noise easily but banding start to appear. Some examples in this video.

The compression give some big artefacts and bandings. I will try to encode a better one and update it soon. You can download the H.264 file which is better.

• @JulienMisc ...

Yea, with this cam you need to get your highlight exposure nailed. Deal with the shadows as best you can later, and ... if one tries to get too cutesy by really going flat to attempt to get a wider dynamic range, yep ... noise and sometimes wonky colors.

But stay within those needs, and as mentioned in my other post, it does quite nice work and grades beautifully. I haven't tried FilmConvert ... did try some things in PrPro, found I didn't quite mentally "bond" with the color correction controls there, tried Speedgrade and went ... oh ... huh ... what the ???? ... oh ... now, yea .... and got lost in the program. For hours at a time. Out of sheer enjoyment of working the controls. Speedgrade's not particularly well documented in manuals and such ... so one needs to look around at say lynda-dot-com tutorials and all. But once you start picking up on how other folks work in it, and especially the CC workflow ... so fast betwixt PrPro->Sg->PrPro and all, it's great.

But ... try lifting shadows, um ... not so good. Shoot to protect the highlights & balance that against shadow needs/supplemental lighting, and it's all wonderful.

• Hello everyone,

I recently bought gh3, and start to shoot with passion. However, I have some issues and maybe you guys who are much experienced, could help me. I found that when I'm shooting in *mov with 24fps, my picture have a lot of flicker and strobe, especially during pans. This happens even in 1/50 or 1/100 shutter setting. I'm interesting is it normal, or I mismatch some settings? My lens is 14-140 3.5-5.6.

Thanks for reading this!

• @cuteditor It sounds like you may have sharpening up too high on your color profile. Try turning it down to -3, or even off! You can always sharpen in post, but if you will not be doing that, -3 or -2 tends to help stop some of the flickering from the in-cam sharpening, which isnt the best.

• OK, thank you for the tip, looks like there isn't flickering on -3 sharpness, on 1/60 shutter (for 24fps). On 1/50 there is still flickering during pans, but I guess that is normal? It's interesting for me that when I set 25fps, I don't see flickering even with 1/50 shutter. Main problem it's 24fps, I don't know what is main reason for that.

• Maybe you can post a clip of the problem. Im not sure I understand what you mean by flickering. When you view 24p footage on monitors with 60Hz refresh rates, you will see what most people refer to as "judder", because you cannot evenly divide 60 by 24. Some frames are shown longer than others because of this, and that can make 24p footage look jerky.

Oh, I wonder if you are filming under flourescent lights? You will see flicker at certain shutter speeds especially under flourescent lighting.

• @cuteditor handy tool for calculating shutter speeds depending on if your North America or Europe assuming the issue is lighting / hz related, perhaps it's not. http://www.red.com/tools/flicker-free-video

• I know about that problem with 60Hz monitors, and that isn't a issue here, because those flickering appears on camera screen during recording too, not only in playback on monitor. Also, I'm aware of problems when filming under flourescent light, but I was shoot under normal daylight conditions. Now I can't upload video to share with you, but I'll do it tomorrow. Thanks, anyway!

• Hi again,

@joethepro @Umii and all others, on links bellow you can check what is bothering me. At first shoot (church1) on 7th second you can see one priest comes right to left near the camera and that move have some flickering, don't you think? I'm not sure is that normal? On the second shoot, you can see pretty fast pan (right to left), and also some flickering. I use there 25fps, 60 shutter, iso 800, my lens was 14-140 3.5-5.6.

• @cuteditor I dont know, it pretty much just like the way 24/25 fps footage does. Its not as smooth at 30 fps, but I dont see anything out of the ordinary.

• Hi there!

A new edit shot with my loved GH3. Same settings as always -5,-5,-3,-3 but no color correction this time. Only grading with FilmConvert Pro. There's also some GoPro and 5DmkII footage. Expose for highligts as always. While the GH3 files are very good in post those from the 5DmkII are shit, no way to push it far away.

Edit in Premiere Pro

GH3 is still alive. Hope you like it!

Comments are welcome

• Can anybody tell me why GH3 is doing so much strobo to me ?

shoted to .mov at 50p shutter 1/100 is there any secret settings in gh3 for smooth motion ? which shutter speed are u using for 50p ? 180° rule ? thank you

• If you're speed ramping, then you should tell your edit software to render out your slomo/fast mo using interpolated field..

• I can record a video with sound in auto mode by turning a selection wheel to M S A or P. However when chose a select MovieM icon, there is no sound recorded. Any expert in here can guide me to proper setting? I've found what was wrong with my setting. Never mind.