Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, User reviews and opinions
  • 1273 Replies sorted by
  • Spur of the moment thing i shot over the w/e. It's actually pretty shoddy from a focusing/colour point of view so no need to point it out lol,.I was just waving a camera around after many beers, but I thought it was too pretty not to put up..

• @ Ru_C Awesome video! Was that at 60 fps or 96 fps?

I've been playing with the GH4 and the SLR Magic Anamorphot lens and so far I love this combo! It really takes that digital edge off the image and looks great.

Anamorphic setup.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 464K
    Blue Flare.jpg
    4096 x 2160 - 720K
    Poopie.jpg
    4096 x 2160 - 1M
  • @cinemasteve87 Thank you, that's very kind…yes it was at 96fps, Olympus 25mm 1.8 lens.

Re:SLR Magic Anamorphot lens, wow that's very interesting ! So it attaches in the same way an ND filter would? If it was half the price i'd pick one up to experiment with ! What lenses are you using it with?

• @Ru_C 96fps looks a lot better in low light than I thought it would. Great job making that look clean!

The Anamorphot has a rear filter thread to attach to your taking lens. I've been using the Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 as the taking lens with the 58mm to 62mm step up ring that comes with the Anamorphot. Cool thing about the front thread is that it's 77mm so you can use your existing ND's or Polarizers. I've been shopping around for anamorphic lenses for a while and never found any that were affordable or worthwhile. The Anamorphot is definitely a big investment but quite amazing for what you get with the price.

• Hey there, yesterday I shot some nightsky pictures and noticed some ugly bending and compression artifacts showing up on the display and viewfinder while I watched it. However, on my computer it's perfectly fine. Perhaps it's bad in camera playback compression or something? Does anyone have this same problem?

• Steve Aoki concert

• Saw a recent racing video on here with a mix of cameras, including the GH4 and wanted to watch it again but can't find it. Anyone remember it?

• Wedding That was shot last month with mostly GH4 and some GH3 for the ceremony B cam.

Canon FD 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f2.8 with RJ speedbooster.

Natural setting on both, lowered contrast in post and then applied Impulz lut

• @SuperSet I tried a very cheap V7 SDXC-I Class 10 128GB card (rated at 18MB/s write) and the GH4 did not complain. Recorded 4k at 80Mbps (effective) without a glitch. But YMMV

• all i want for christmas is 4k60p =) that was a good classic cars clip

• Do not know if you can get it by Christmas but the new HC-X1000 can do 4k P60. It uses two Venus Processors and can do two different recordings to the two SDXC cards. Cost $3500 including lens and microphone.

What I want is 120 fps out of the GH4 preferably 1080 P120 but I would settle for 720 P120. A firmware update is emmenate so I am hopeful. It seems the (single processor) hardware will not allow 4k P60.

• Does anybody know, why Panasonic has discarded the 720p50(60) mode in the GH4? Not there any more. There are so many modes you can fim with the GH4, but this extremly good format of the GH1 an dGH2 is not there any more.
    It would be nice to have a 50 p mode in 720, if you want to use extendend tele cropping and do not want to use 24/25p.

• No 720 P50 in the specs? Perhaps the GH4 is supposed to be the top end camera? Maybe that is why they still sell the GH3 for lower end users? What I want is 1080 P120 and hope the next firmware update includes that or at least 720 P120.

If I were you, I would shoot 1080 P50 and "DownRes" in post. This should give you better quality than native.

• @rrroger @aked I would assume 50/60p @ 720 was not included because Panasonic thought it was not a relevant feature, they offer these frame rates in 1080p. I'm sure they could include it in a firmware update, but you probably have to mount a campaign to get them to do it, very few people care about such a feature. Like RRRoger said, why not just shoot at 1080 and edit in 720 so you can crop in?

As for 120p... it's possible and that would be awesome, but I bet they just add it in VFR mode, so you can get 4x slow-mo in 30p in addition to 24p. I suspect they will also be adding 240 VFR at 720p - this is a spec originally included in the FZ1000 but pulled from the final firmware. If they didn't pull it due to a bug, perhaps they pulled it so they wouldn't undercut the GH4 in this area.

• My first very short video at 1080p 50Mbps

• I doubt if even the camera manufactures really know why they cripple firmware.

Perhaps we need to get a hold of beta or preproduction software somehow? Or maybe we need to start supporting hackers more? Panasonic's reaction to the GH2 hack was to include most of those features in the GH3.

As far as I know, The GH4 is supposed to be their top of the line (flagship) camera. So why not unleash 1080 P120 or at least 720 P120 in a firmware update? Certainly would not hurt sales and the GH5 is probably two years away.

• 4k Cinelike D -5-2 0-2 0 MP +15 14-42 kit lens at f3.5 ss 30, iso 3200 downsized to 1080p. Color graded w MBLooks!

• After our extensive testing of the Panasonic GH4, we have some thoughts on the platform. The image that this camera creates looks and feels more like a broadcast video camera than it does a cinema camera. Where this camera felt most like it was showing us a video look is in the night ISO test

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2014/09/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh4/

• GH4 "...looks and feels more like a broadcast video camera than it does a cinema camera."

I told you so.

• "More like Broadcast Video Camera than Cinema". I could not be happier as I do not like the filmic look or 24fps I really like the clean output I get with my GH4 at 4k P30 and 1080 P60.

of course I do not sell my productions. That could make a major difference in preference.

• So Hurlbut doesn't have a Panasonic logo in his sponsor list, which apparently means Canon 1080P is the only "filmic" shit in existence. The 1/4 resolution frame grabs compressed down to 56KB are seriously part of an objective 4K camera review? This shit makes me wanna spoon with Philip Bloom, at least he's got a disclaimer and doesn't charge $96 a year.