Personal View site logo
Varavon BirdyCam gimbal
  • 106 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy

Thanks. If they came down 400-500 (aim for $2k) and got their production line in order, they could sell a lot of these quickly, but they are losing their window. Varavon has done a good job, but this one is confusing.

• @DancingCamera

Gimbal will be added to deals later today or tomorrow.

• when he puts it together in the video, it looks fragile in places to me. I'm torn between this and the ronin. The ronin is so heavy though.

Still no in depth review.

• when he puts it together in the video, it looks fragile in places to me

It is not fragile. You do not even know how much tests and redesign and test again they made.

• have you used it? The side material on the sled looks thin. Believe me, I want to like it.

• The side material on the sled looks thin. Believe me, I want to like it.

Statement like "side material on the sled looks thin" make really no sense. Same as "walls of this bike frames are too thin to hold even baby". As it requires just basic understanding of materials and design.

• That said, how on earth would I know how strong it is from looking at a picture? this is the video I'm talking about. When he attaches the sled, parts of the side look not all that robust.

This is probably their most technical product and I'm not sure they're up to it. If there can be a weak spot where there will be a lot of repeated torque, of course it would give one pause. I don't have a birdy to play with, so I have no idea.

So I'm waiting for a real review, not a quick look.

• @chauncy

Please just wait for actual feedback if you have some theory.

• totally not fragile, i've hung this thing out of the back of a truck and rode through a crazy dusty dry lake bed, taken it out on the ocean, and i even store it in a backpack and take it hiking. i've used it at least 4 times a week since i first got mine around two months ago and it's held up amazingly well. haven't had a single problem with the hardware whatsoever. if you were to look at it now you'd think it was brand new

• @seekheartwood can the vertical height be shortened from the top of the cam to the bottom of the top motor? is there any reason why it needs to be that long other than clearance for longer lenses? are you getting smooth walking/running shots? i've seen a few videos where there is still jitter when running. thanks

• I'd rather get this than the ronin because the ronin is so heavy it's unusable for most people(people think they can handle it, but they won't be able to) without other support. Even their ads have easyrigs and steadicams all over the place. That's with young strong professional steadicam guys.

If people have one, please review it. And please check every screw hole and spring to make sure they're machined properly.

I hate putting out this much money without touching one. But no rental house is going to carry them. I haven't found one in Scandinavia that carries even the Ronin. It's the over-priced movi all the way.

anyone been able to get a Black Magic Cinema camera with a large lens working well on this. it's near the weight limit.

• whoa. just say the price drop in deals. that's got me thinking

• @MRfanny vertical height cannot be shortened, if you want a smaller rig, they are releasing a smaller one later in the year.

as far as running, the amount of jitter is actually way more dependent on your ability to run smoothly. there is no gimbal that will give you no jitter at all while running, because that's an up and down movement, and these do not stabilize in that direction. there's no magic stabilizer that can get rid of the footfall of a bad operator.

• @SeekingHeartwood

Any details on the smaller version? I would be quite interested ...

• I'll be getting mine in on Thurs. Can't wait to test it with the BMCC 2.5k and the Pocket. Don't be surprised if this gimbal starts putting out much better results than the Ronin in the under 5lb body arena.

Controlling pan and tilt via an Android app... is freakin amazing. Just the movi control module to let you do that is more than the birdy.

• Tunable PIDs from your phone? That is good thinking. I just ordered this and will post my thoughts after I take it through it's paces later in the month.

As a long-time steadi operator I have been dubious to try something not fully manual and mechanical, but the price and initial reviews are right. This product could separate itself in the smaller form-factor arena if the modes are reliably implemented and the joystick is rugged and responsive. Varavon appears to have done substantial product development, and they consistently use good quality parts and machining in their products (my guess as to why Vitaliy made connections with them). The biggest issue on small cam rigs like the merlin, liang sleds is the wind shearing when outdoors, even with an arm and vest.

I'm curious about battery life (16v 10Ah is expensive to reproduce, and I'll want to custom build for more power if possible).

If anyone has specific questions I can answer within reason, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer once the unit arrives.

• either the operator needs more practice or the Birdy isnt that flawless as it should. Very shaky and tilted.

• @peaceonearth

It is not pro operator or operator at all. Just guy who works at Varavon.

• The Birdycam unit came extremely fast, and I'm quite impressed with the build quality. In getting accustomed to the feel, I've done shots I could never, ever have accomplished with typical mechanical steadicams. Very exciting. Fine tuning is easy with the android app, but this is really a simple setup and nearly good to go from when it comes out of the box. Varavon has clearly put a lot of time and effort into this product.

Battery life appears to be much greater than I originally thought, but needs further testing.

I'll post more as I break this in, but very optimistic at the moment.

• @Dancing Camera. Would love to hear your thoughts on this coming from Steady background.

I am considering one of these as a gear purchase before end of year tax time. Its between the Birdycam and the Ronin for me.

• can someone try to put black magic cinema camera on it. They have pictures with one. I'd like to know if it works.

• Would you guys say it's necessary to have a friend on set to control pan and tilt? Am thinking about getting this but I mainly shoot solo so that may be a problem.