Personal View site logo
3-axis stabilizers ala FreeFly MOVi or ZenMuse - DIY and commercial
  • 458 Replies sorted by
  • Usage of Feiyu

• Had a chance to test my Feiyu G3 Ultra 3-Axis out for what I wanted it for with my long suffering assistant ;) So much harder to stabilize these shots than the usual bike and ski shots etc. as the movement is continual in all 3 planes on horseback and I've been looking for something for a while for the odd riding holiday promos I do. If you look at 1 min in there I let him go a bit there is so much movement and the Feiyu copes really well, I'm really impressed for what it is. No additional stabilization in post and because it keeps the horizon so well if you de-fish it it looks great so much less warping and popping in the background like you would get warp stabilizing that sort of shot. Need to figure out how to mount it, helmet is too high / too heavy need to be around chest height or hand held like I did but with somewhere safe to quickly stow it. but it's a really nice bit of kit for the money so far.

• @5mars - interesting, thanks to google translate

I'm thinking the pre assembled 7500 is good value, worth the risk. Please keep us informed about your progress with the rig

• DJI Ronin drop price to $2999 from $4499. Wow good time!! Just a little more DJI.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1046473-REG/dji_ronin_3_axix_gimbal_stabilizer.html

• BeSteady ONE Plus

• Here is a first test I did with the Came 7000 gimbal.

The settings are not perfect yet, you can still see my movements when I do little steps. But its working quite great. Shot with GH4 and Olympus 12mm. I uploaded the original file out of the camera, so no post stabilization or anything.

• This is a quick test of the Feiyu Tech G3 3 axis handheld stabiliser in a real world situation. As you can see there are many people walking through the narrow shopping street of Nanluo Guxiang in Beijing, China. While I am not too satisfied with my ability to balance out the walking movements overall I am quite satisfied with the result. No post stabilisation applied. Shot with a GoPro Hero 3+. Comments and suggestions on how I can get better results with 3 axis handheld gimbals are welcome!

• I saw the Allsteady posted earlier, and although I got the AllSteady 5, not the 7, I feel I can hopefuly save others a lot of trouble.

I got the Allsteady 5. I didn't come with any manual – or the extra battery I paid an extra 80 bucks for (still exchanging emails with them about this). I finally got the link to a manual after email exchanges and have been working on balancing and trying it out. This thing is not user friendly. I don't know if it's normal (i'm not too experienced with these gimbals) to not have off/on switches on these things, but if you are making it a matter of disconnecting/connecting the battery – make a connection that is strong and feasible for real use. The one on there is tiny and difficult to put together and apart, and you can tell from the weak connection between the cables and connectors that these would barely last a week through location use. Like I said, I'm not very experienced with other gimbals, so maybe this method is normal. But none the less, its not an ergonomical or strong point for the device.

Once you do get it balanced and connect the battery, the results are sporadic. The light turns on and sometimes it takes forever for the motors to engage and be ready for use.... and sometimes it's just seconds. I balanced it and everything, but maybe there's something I'm doing wrong, I have no idea. The action is definitely not smooth either. I'll keep working with it for another day or two and see if I make any progress, and if there support starts responding to me again. I'll try to update, with hopefully positive, news.

GimbalConnectors1.jpg
    750 x 418 - 122K
    Gimbal5.jpg
    691 x 518 - 302K
    GimalConnectors2.jpg
    663 x 497 - 159K
  • Hi Everyone, here's a car expo event teaser I shot on the GH4. Most of the time I had the GH4 mounted on the Varavon Birdycam 3-Axis Gimbal. The shot at the very beginning is with the DJI Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 3+. I'll share a longer cut later on so please enjoy!

• DigitalAircam Gimbal

• Fully Automatic Tuning

Zero operator intervention needed in setup phase. Complete plug and play. Sensor orientation, PID parameters and motor power as well as other proprietary tuning parameters are deduced by the firmware at the end of an automated setup process (typically taking a minute to complete).

More advanced controller compared to AlexMos32

https://phobotic.com/

• It seems that the new iPhone 6 plus is capable of some very impressive video stabilisation. Have a look at the skateboard scene between 4:00 and 4:07. If this footage is straight from the iPhone and no additional work was done in post this could make stabilisers for small cameras pretty much obsolete. I wonder if this technology will eventually find its way into professional cameras?

• DJI Ronin vs TurboAce AllSteady 7