Personal View site logo
GH4 issues with monitors
  • 50 Replies sorted by
  • I have the same issue with. A 7djhd monitor doesn't support 24hz, when I switch to 59.96 hz works only with 30,60 p,same monitor works flawlessly with my gh2.....need to get one with 24 hz support!

• I am also having all sorts of problems displaying my GH4 footage. It will not play to many of my monitors. Not to my LED TV's. But does play choppy (lagging) footage to my 55 inch Smart TV. The funny thing I have tried editing the footage in imovie and final cut 7. The footage is lagging there as well. (desktop is 12 core SSD). 15 inch Retina macbook pro and 2012 model 17 inch macbook pro all have issues in imovie and final cut. Shot both 100mb and 200 and both play choppy. Only looks good on GH4 flip out. HELP!

• @reticulan5 Have you checked your processor usage during playout on your desktop/laptops? I'm wondering if maybe you're maxing out your CPU (ok, maybe not likely on your 12-core... but perhaps the macbook)

• Also the Zacuto evf has problems displaying all .mov .mp4 1080 25p and 50p formats. 24p 4k is no problem and also the avchd 50i formats work ok but not the 50p. Does anyone have the same problems and a solution........?

• I am not even getting signal from my GH4 to my Marshall V-LCD50-HDMI monitor. If you guys have had the same monitor with no issues plugged what settings do I have to change from menus? Shooting mainly in PAL mode 4k and 24p 4k. The 4k output is on Auto (also tried 1080p).

• I don't see any lag with my GH4 and Smallhd DP6 at any settings.

• Are you using HDMI or USB from the GH4? Mine will not play back thru the MustHD M701but does show the correct image while recording. What I get on page 272 of the manual is "Motion pictures cannot be played back".

Rumor has it that Panasonic will issure another firmware update to deal with HDMI output in September. It is supposed to improve functionality with the Atomos Shogun but hopefully add the ability to play back Videos. I don't see why not because they do play on the camera LCD.

• I had problems using a neway monitor in 200mbs .mov mode. I changed to avchd mode, the monitor picked up the hdmi output, and thereafter worked in any mode selected on the camera. Worth a try?

• GH cameras always had some issues with monitors, it happens due to algorithm it uses - camera try to determinate supported resolutions, if something is wrong with monitor EDID table or it does not like something you can get issues with specific mode.

• @RRRoger - bizarre you can see the image on the monitor when you're recording, but you get no playback..

• Update: I did not know how to play back Video thru my new MustHD monitor before I learned to push the up arrow on the multiseletor. Now it will not only playback but zoom in too if needed for review.

• I have a problem monitoring the GH4 when in photo-video mode (you know, the new firmware). When this 4K photo mode is set to ON, no more signal to the external monitor, it's just appears on the monitor the message "4K photo mode"...

OK, "solved"! It is not available option anyway... (from the instruction about the firmware update)

• My GH4 HDMI output was very erratic - and mostly not showing anything. I tried in into a Marshall and a cheap Ruise, and into a CD NanoFlash recorder. I got best results when it was running as an NTSC camera - which is not very helpful as I work in a PAL region.

Then I tried it on a (fairly expensive) Sony Edit monitor - and all was well. Pretty much any format/resolution showed up - even 4K outputs (down-converted in-camera). So it looks as if it's as much a monitor issue as a GH4 HDMI output problem.

I've awaiting a Ninja Star - so I'm hoping that will work ok over HDMI...

• Ninja Star works perfectly. I use it all the time. Camera settings:

Cinema Mode (System 24hz) .MOV C4K 100, 24.00p HDMI output 4:2:2 10-bit, downscaled 1080p.

Works like a charm.

Should also (but I haven't tried it) work on System 59.94hz, .MOV UHD4k, 23.976p with same HDMI settings. It has been tested to provide 23.98p HDMI output at that setting, though, so should be fine with Ninja Star as well.

• Ditto on Ninja Blade.

• Thanks for that information.

I tried the NinjaStar in 24frame mode, and indeed - just about every setting worked fine. However in 50Hz mode, it ONLY works fully when you select 50i. As there are only two 50i settings - both in AVCHD - then it seems that's the mode PAL region users are stuck with.

HOWEVER...

If you select AVCHD 50i and get a green lock light, then you can SOMETIMES switch to any codec / frame size including MOV UHD and the lock light remains on. I optimistically thought I might be able to run the HDMI 8 bit output to the NinjaStar and so record 4K UHD internally on the GH4.
    This turned out to be a false hope. Although the lock light remains on - it basically seems to crash something inside the NinjaStar. So yes, the light remains on - but nothing is being recorded. Or just a corrupt file. Sometimes the audio levels would disappear - other times they wouldn't. And on some occasions I just got a red light as soon as I switched away from AVCHD.

CONCLUSION: If you want to use the 50Hz mode and the NinjaStar - Set the GH4 to AVCHD / 50i at 17 or 24Mb/s - that's it. You can have 10 bit out if you don't want an AVCHD copy or 8 bit out if you do.

I wish all this had been in the manual or on the Atomos Website. Would have saved me a day of messing about!

• Thanks for that, had similar pain and gave up, hoping the firmware update will help.

• @LooMix, does that mean if you select 25p (MOV or AVCHD) it does not work even if you try the 2:2 pulldown feature on the NinjaStar? The pulldown needs some motion in the shot to work, and can take up to 1 minutes to get sync, so wave your hand in front of the camera or pan it left to right or something until you get sync. I haven't tried this yet, but it's similar on the 60hz setting with framerates other than 23.976, I suppose it might be true for 25p as well?

• That's correct - it doesn't work at 25p. Only 50i. You can't select Pulldown until it has signal lock. If it can't see a signal, it has no frames to re-order...

I'd like to think someone at Panasonic or Atomos knows about this and is working on a firmware update. But it may partly be a hardware issue which wouldn't be fixable. It would be nice to have some info on it.

• Update: According to DV Info, a Panasonic firmware update dealing with HDMI issues is imminent. It was to have been released in December, but is now scheduled for sometime in January.

• Is it possible to connect GH4 to computer LCD panel? I got Dell Ultrasharp U2412M on which I wanted to experiment with the picture profiles.

It doesn't have HDMI input but I use HDMI to DVI cable from my computer just fine. Bought a Micro HDMI to HDMI adapter and tried the same cable from GH4 without success in both RGB and YPBPR modes and all GH4 settings including various formats and framerates.

Could the adapter be the problem? Or is it that DVI port just won't work for this?

• Hello! I have a GH4 and I am trying to use it with a 7" wondlan monitor. It is OK during playback but it does not work during filming (with liveview). I cannot figure what is going wrong, any help?

• I cannot figure what is going wrong, any help?

Anything. Try to change output settings. Can be just monitor.

GH cameras, especially older ones are known for their strange behavior. They ask monitor for EDID (table with supported modes), and if they do not like it much they do not output anything.

• Hi

I have been using the lilliput 668GL for a while without any issues. Starting today, it is not possible to get any signal to the monitor out of my GH4. I didn't change any settings, nevertheless I tried to fix it by changing HDMI output settings but still no signal. GH4 is working on a Samsung TV and the lilliput is working on PC and NAS. Does anyone have a clue or maybe a solution that can fix the problem (I'm pretty sure it must be settings related)?

Edit: I have two HDMI cables, which have been working up until now

• @Stiffla I have exactly the same problem, GH4 was playing nicely with the Ninja Blade then I took it away for 3 weeks just using with a computer monitor then brought it back, first wouldn't talk to the Blade and now doesn't talk to the computer monitor, it's bizarre, tried different cables like you and just tried with friends GH4 and shogun, the Blade recognised their GH4 and the Shogun recognised mine! V confusing.