Personal View site logo
GH4 - Best Video Settings
  • 753 Replies sorted by
  • Are these the AJA settings, as mentioned in his latest video?

GH4 settings: Cinelike D Contrast: -5 Sharpness: -5 NR: 0 Saturation: -3 Hue: +1 Highlight Shadow: Standard i.Dynamic: OFF i.Resolution: OFF Master Pedestal Level: +15 Luminance Level: 0-255

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Andrew Reid Cine V settings yet.

• Nothing better than the CineD, especially when you want to grade-edit your footage.

• Haha. Tell us how you really feel. He really believes in the more contrasty look in camera with those settings.

• Exactly. And the results with those settings are very videoish...

• Since you are dealing with a video file in the h264 codec, no matter what the bit depth 8 or 10, you really should try to get as close to the final look that you want "in camera". The reason Alexa and Red users record a Log profile is because no matter the actual scene dynamic range, they can push the image around with abandon. With the GH4's h264, you can move it around some, but not like you can in the professional cameras. If your scene is very low contrast, but you want contrast in post, you should feel free to dial the contrast up to your liking. Of course, you should have a calibrated grading monitor for reference. You could also do test shots and check them in your correction software.

• Just a heads up...

Cine D and Cine V go all the way back to the DVX and HVX 3 CCD camera lines... Us Panny users from as far back as 1999, know that Cine D is for extended Dynamic range (D) with a log curve (Cine), and Cine V is the same log curve (Cine) but with emphasis on Vibrance (V)

V is for those who are color grading challenged, or who want something ready to go right off the card, into a quick edit, and out the door.

D is for those who like to control the image in post.

Make your decisions with that in mind. I never shoot V.... ever. I don't like the way it looks by itself, and it doesn't grade well.

• @shian Well said. Ditto the "I never shoot V.... ever." Personally the only time I would ever use CINE V is if I was shooting something that had to be on air...within the hour. I will say how pleased I am at how much CINE D will let me push and pull for 8 bits.

It's funny all the LOG vs this vs that talk. I realized I had to come a simple conclusion a while back:

1. I like, believe in, will invest in and will use the GH line of cameras for film and broadcast work.

2. I can't compare the GH line to anything I'm used to shooting/editing, heard about or want it to be. It is it's own camera and technology. I start from there and look for good dynamic range, good color rendition and resolution. To start the RED, BMPCC, MkIII, LOG, RAW etc., etc. comparisons is rather humorous really. It's a GH4. It is what it is.

I enjoy the passion expressed by everyone since I started this thread. I truly do. I've learned much from you all and I appreciate it greatly. But once in a while - everyone needs to calm down and eat some fruit or something.

Sorry. I heard that in a movie once and have been dying to repeat it. Peace.

• Hi all. If you watch my GH4 series you will see that I really am taking the GH4 through test to see what the best settings are for heavy color grading. If you want a great image right out of the camera then like Shian said use cinelike V. But I think Natural with everything at 0 would be better looking then the V. But it's all up to you and your own taste. Film and enjoy.

• By the way I have more videos to come and still testing this camera, so who knows what my final set up will be.

• Oh sorry one more thing, I go by Aron J Anderson AJA was a graphic in motion that I took the still to use as the video thumbnail. Also if anyone is interested in watching my GH4 series it might be easier to go to my web site.

• @shian, interesting take. I think everything, bar one video I've seen show that cineD is crap vs. cineV on the GH4. The GH4 in no way can use a flatter profile with 4K at only 100mbps in 4.2.0 8-bit. All that is being tried with pushes to master pedestal, flattening with contrast at -5, highlights turned down and shadows turned up are destroying the amazing image the GH4 creates. Anyone shooting flat with the concept of adjusting in post are losing what this cam can do, big time.

Shoot the same scene with cineV and cineD, and the cineV will always give a better final output with the GH4 IMHO. You can squash and push all you want, but in the end of the day, there's an image that this thing likes to create. Sticking with it is far and away better as an end result than all the dog I've seen with some of the profiles people have been trying with this thing.

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer Interesting view. I came to the opposite conclusion. CineD with all settings at 0 and no shadow/highlight adjustment gives me a VERY clean image that grades easily. I did a whole conference shoot with a GH2 in standard profile and a GH4 in CineV. The CineV crushes the bottom 20% of the luminance range and made grading REALLY difficult. I had to lift the shadows to see the hair detail and it became noisy which required some noise reduction. CineV gives a good impression to the casual observer due to the slightly higher contrast it gives. I like CineD for grading and Standard profile for a good in-camera look.

I recently bought an X-Rite color checker for my shoots and used with Resolve 11 color chart match feature works brilliantly with CineD. Also CineD is not a true log profile. It is a gamma curve which lifts the dark areas or creates a black 'stretch'. I did lots of testing to see what was happening with my test charts and found it is VERY different to Canon or Sony log curves. It is actually a very mild curve.

• [CineD (-5, -2,-5,-5,0) Contrast curve #2 (S+2, H-2)] is resulting in insanely amazing images.

BUT if I get careless and don't meter a scene, and go by the LCD.... disaster. I think a lot of the bad results people get with this camera, is while it can shoot really amazing looking footage, when you use settings like these that make it easy to "miss" getting proper exposure cuz everything on the screen looks fantastic... you start getting shitty results when you under or over expose.

With perfect exposure... these settings are killer. The music video I'm getting ready to deliver will show that.

(Not messing with the pedestal much, yet, cuz I haven't tested it enough to see how exactly it applies itself to the image. Or to see if it's utter nonsense like the 0-235, 16-235 options.)

• @shian So as I wedding guy, I'm pretty much bummed if I go with just zebras set to 100 and do a ETTR?

• Gotta agree with @shian that exposing properly is ESSENTIAL. I actually try not to mess with contrast on Cine D settings too much as skin tones can be harder to get right.

The other ESSENTIAL is white balance. I don't ever trust AWB.

Combine exposing properly with white balancing and the image with Cine D is amazing on the GH4.

• @oscillian no I'm talking severely off. With my settings what may look fantastic on the screen, may ALSO be severely underexposed. And If I don't take the time to check the exposure meter, and just shoot it, I'm gonna get crap. It's really easy to do. If u are used to relying on the in cam meter, and check it religiously, then you should be fine... It really has only happened to me when I've been in a hurry, saw something I liked and went to shoot it on the fly, and didn't check my exposure. The zebras help a little with overexposure, cuz you will double check it. But there's nothing there to remind you to check the shadows, and these new shadow boosting options fool you into thinking u r ok.

• Looking forward to your ColorGhear GH4 updates. Show us the way, shian! :)

• @shian Ok, I catch your drift! Thx :-)

• @shian, talking about your 'perfect' exposure, you are talking about ETTR or expose like a S-Log curve, knowing exactly where the curve puts the 18%? Your profile settings are very extreme! is the codec/compression support that without break in post?

• What people miss is where Cine D comes from... go back and find the original brochures for like the HVX200 and you'll see that Cine D is used to make the codec's job easier in terms of reigning in the highlights and in effect extending the DR as well as giving more cine like skin tones. If anything my settings make things easier on the codec.

Watch any of my ColorGHear exposure tutorials and you'll see exactly how I expose... nothing has changed. This is still a DSLR but it has a closer DR to that of film than the GH2. So instead of 5 stops, we have something closer to 7 stops to work with. Everything else is pretty much the same. I stopped using ETTR because I spent a day comparing stuff I used to shoot with Skin tones around 45-50% vs 55-65% and I like the way they looked better. So I'm back to that.

The only difference between now and then is that I've grown confident enough in my abilities to get it right in camera on a DSLR, that I am not afraid of exceeding those ZONE limitations when I absolutely need all the camera's DR to capture the image, especially with this camera. It's not a RAW camera, but it's as close to having a small lightweight film camera as I need to be able to fall back on my experience with 35mm.

You might notice on Flickr that with these still grab PNG renders straight out of AFX - the graded file size @4K is 2 and half times that of the raw image. (24mb vs 10mb) The flatter you make your image the less stress you put on the codec. The more color info, contrast, and vibrance you make the camera compress, the harder the codec has to work to capture the info. I went over this with GH2 shooters who thought Vibrant was the best profile to shoot with cuz it gave them more color information, and why they were completely wrong. And that you got better results with less chroma smearing by adding that vibrance in post, letting more complex software algorithms and computer processing power handle the color. Nothing has changed, FYI.

I've included compressed jpg versions for easy reference here. Graded in ColorGHear Pro using Density, Toner, and Custom Film Stock Generator LUTs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76276262@N04/sets/72157646356478566

P1020241 (534109)raw.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    P1020241 (534109).jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
  • Some of this is so much easier to actually understand when you learn what the scopes in any grading/correcting program are "saying". The van Hurkman book on Speedgrade is ok but the @shian recommended book "Color Correction for Video" is awesome. by Hullfish & Fowler, it is a dang fine look at correcting/grading video using the tools found in every "major" grading program out there.

http://www.filmtools.com/color-correction-for-video-book-dvd-second-edition.html?gclid=CM-IrruxyrkCFSlo7Aod1w0AWQ

After getting this (on account of Shian) I both learned a lot and ... stopped making so many stupid mistakes. And figured out how to take my footage from cam to post with a few brain cells involved.

Hope it doesn't violate any of Vitaliy's rules to post a link to something I don't make a dime on ... ;-)

• Yeah Shian you are correct. You so need to nail exposure with GH4 in cinelike D. (Like Log) Back of screen looked great with no zebra got home, shot was unusable. I am swaying to keeping Master pedestal at 0. I used + 15 for a while but that was for inside shots out side stuff you will need to use levels to take the mids back. So might as well keep pedestal at 0. Also Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 + Metabones bmcc Speedbooster not good enough for GH4 4K.

• rNeil I'm not sure how anyone does it without scopes. Hit or miss I guess. I need my scopes.

• Hey Shian what lens are you using on your music video.

• From Day 1 of owning this cam, I have been using monochrome live view - it helps visualize overall exposure better (to my eyes), focus-peaking highlights are easier to see, and zebras stand out.