Personal View site logo
Varavon BirdyCam gimbal
  • 106 Replies sorted by
  • Hi Everyone! Just got my Birdycam yesterday. So far it's really solid and very easy to balance.

I’m so excited to finally use an affordable quality product so I can achieve great dynamic shots with my Panasonic GH4 and perhaps the Sony A7s. The fact that a 32-bit 3-axis gimbal with a tool-less adjustable design, solid carrying case, and downloadable/updatable firmware for less than $2500 makes the Birdycam 2 an amazing value for any production

Check out my first impression review here: http://filmbrosmedia.com/varavon-birdycam-3-axis-gimbal-package/

• seriously! - do they actually expect anyone to put this in front of a client with the name "Birdycam" I'm looking at biting the bullet on a gimbal but If I went for this the first thing I'd have to do is cover the name up with gaffer.

• @tired I think it looks great but agree with the name, what is it got to do with birds?

• Wtf, I think the name is fantastic. Flies smooth through the air like birds.

• how many birds fly through the air with a camera operator attached to them?

• Does it really matter what the name is - who f'n cares?! More so how does it perform with various lens and the GH4? Can you use it with the monitor extended? How long does it take to balance?

PS if the name really irks you that much then just call it a "base cam". If you watch the video above the mobile app refers to it as that.

• I've already booked a high profile client and told them about the Birdycam and they loved it, so no one really gives a s***? If you're so worried about the name then that means your pitch for your services and your equipment is not convincing enough to your clients.

@killagram So far the camera has been a dream to balance. It took me a while the first time to get used to it but now I'm able to get this balanced within 5 minutes. I've been flying this with the GH4 and Lumix 12-35mm 2.8 and it works so well. I need to somehow download the software onto my Macbook to make the default follow mode faster. It's a bit slow coming out of the package but it works well. The joystick is absolutely awesome and feels really natural while moving around with the Birdycam. You can use the camera's monitor but it'll be very tricky checking your focus. I wouldn't use the monitor extended but it's still possible. It would just be harder to balance. So I'd use an external monitor just to be safe.

I also tried this with a steadicam vest and I would NOT use that combo again. You lose the dynamic movement going low or high with the gimbal and I'm not sure if the extra weight on your body will be an even tradeoff for your arms. I rather beef up my arms in the long haul :)

• +1 @cinemasteve87 thanks for the info. So what exactly is a follow mode on this gymbal? Also can you use the birdycam with the GH4's attached monitor extended 180 degrees?

• @killagram I'm not precisely sure what follow mode is myself since I'm fairly new to these type of gimbals but I figured it is when you pan the camera the gimbal will slide toward the direction of your pan instead of being in a fixed position when the motor is on.

I have my GH4 toward the center right of the stage for near perfect balance so extending the screen out all the way won't work.

• two quick videos i threw together last night after a couple trial runs with the gimbal

first impressions? love it! it's the perfect gimbal for me. i shoot with a GH4 and like to keep things as light and small as possible.

i still need to work on my technique, i was really rough with the gimbal in those videos, and I'm still fine tuning it, but it's just going to get better and better

• @SeekingHeartwood thanks for posting those videos! The stabilization looks phenomenal - no jitter, shake and it seemed very level with the horizon for the most part. I noticed in one of your videos that you were using an external monitor on the top of the gimbal, but is it possible to keep the GH4's external display extended while using the Birdycam? I ask because the OLED display on the GH4 is excellent and it will keep both costs and weight down when using it. Thanks.

• wow...$500 increase. Reckon I have to wait out for a special price, if it ever going to happen. I think this birdycam will sell quite a lot after all the good reviews.

• Although I had on pre-order the Ronin, I cancelled it thinking I would get the lighter Varavon despite the loss I would take in rentals (the Ronin is much more "rentable"). At this price though, both are so close that it just doesn't make sense to get the Varavon right now. Especially since they've announced that they will be making a larger version as well for bigger cameras. The Birdycam should have been priced below $2000. At $1700-1900 it would be ideal (which I think will be their price once the dust shuttles off)

• @3Kids

If you ask me, Varavon is completely confused with their product. And can't make any rational decision now.

• @3Kids, I concur. I was waiting for this gimbal as I understand it was gonna be $2000, then I heard $2300 then now $2550. At this price point, I might as well just get the DJI Ronin which seems much more reliable.

• I don't know about other retailers, but the availability on BHphoto recently went from August 1st to August 31st. I'm also looking alternatives.

• @kingmixer

I'll let you know as it'll be available as I am keeping in touch with them, we'll have special deals.

• Sweet @Vitaliy_Kiselev ....and maybe some of the other gimbals that have been in the 3-axis thread (besteady,came,allsteady)?... :D

• any info about maximum payload? Ronin is set at an incredible 7.5Kg!

• load weight is 3KG.

• Looking forward to a pv deal on this product. Thanks as usual, Vitaliy.

• @DancingCamera

I'll see that we can do, as status of this thing is so uncertain.