Personal View site logo
Video-Friendly Lenses for Lumix DSLRs
  • 211 Replies sorted by
  • I am dreaming.... maybe just to see the result.... of the Carl Zeiss LWZ.2 leightweightzoom lens on the GH2.... would just right cover my needs.. and allowances for the next 10 years... ;-)
    anybody tryed out on GH2?... mft mount should be available soon!?

greatings from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Kurt
  • I don't understand why people are saying that the Voigtlander 25mm doesn't work with a rig. I just shot the better part of a feature with the lens (on a hacked GH2), using a follow-focus and 4x4 filters in a matte box with no ergonomic problems at all.
  • Well..I cant use my 20mm pancake with my rig(I suppose follow focus to be precise) for sure...its just to close to the camera body and I don't have a reversible gear on my Fotga FF.

Personally I like using old M42 Lenses (screw mount) with the adapter.
    1- They are cheap got a nice f/2.8 28mm on Ebay for 28 bucks...
    2- They all reach out to the FF and have a focus stop point --yes they do move in and out but unlike the Panasonic lenses they use a mechanical focus so there is a clear end and beginning when you turn the ring.
    3- There are fast lenses I've seen them ranging from 1.4 to 2.8
    4- They look great, SUPER TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50 for example....
  • Nikkor 50/1.8 AIS - $35
    Declicked aperture in a local shop while I wait 5-10 minutes - $12
    Generic Chinese adjustable focus ring (haven't glued it on so I can replace it when it breaks) - $5
    Generic Chinese 52-77mm step up ring - $2

Total= $54, did all of this during a lunch break.

Dulcos Cine Mod = $250 (without lens, shipping, lead-time, etc).

This is probably the best choice I've ever made in lens gear, the step-less aperture is so fucking smooth. I'm also going to do the same thing with my Nikkor 28/2 AIS - not quite ready to do this on the Nokton 25/0.95 just yet :-)
  • @last_SHIFT "Nikkor 50/1.8 AIS - $35
    Declicked aperture in a local shop while I wait 5-10 minutes - $12
    Generic Chinese adjustable focus ring (haven't glued it on so I can replace it when it breaks) - $5
    Generic Chinese 52-77mm step up ring - $2

Total= $54, did all of this during a lunch break."

Where is this magical place located? :)
  • Nikon 85mm f1.8, $430
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/84151-GREY/Nikon_1931_AF_Nikkor_85mm_f_1_8D.html
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/85AF.htm

* Manual aperture ring: Yes
    * Direct-coupled focus ring: Yes
    * Proper focus ring rotation: no (yes in the standard Nikon direction)
    * Non-rotating outer barrel: Yes
    * Non-extending outer barrel: Yes
    * Constant field of view: yes

This is an amazing lens. It was the favorite out of all my lenses for years until I got the Tokina 11-16mm.
  • @Brian202020

Thanks for the info on the Nikon 85mm f1.8D, I wasn't aware of its internal focusing mechanism, which it shares with the Nikon 85mm f1.4D. As you indicated above, this means that its outer lens barrel neither extends nor rotates. However, like all Nikkor lenses, it does have proper focus ring rotation in the Nikon direction.
  • Following up on @Brian202020's post, here is a list of video-friendly Nikkor AF-D primes from 85mm up to 300mm. In addition to possessing excellent optics, these lenses all employ internal focus designs with outer lens barrels that neither extend nor rotate. Unfortunately, this is not the case with Nikon AF-D lenses wider than 85mm - their lens barrels all extend when focusing on close objects. The lenses below all share the following properties:

* Proper focus ring rotation: Yes

Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D
    Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4 D
    Nikkor AF 105mm f/2 D Defocus Control
    Nikkor AF 135mm f/2 D Defocus Control
    Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED
    Micro-Nikkor AF 200mm f/4 D ED
    Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4 D IF-ED
  • The 105 and 135 DC Nikkors are my favorite portrait lenses on FX - gorgeous skin tones and unreal bokeh. Curious to see how they perform on GH2 and video in general.
  • Just wanting to know- is the Tokina 11-16mm one of the most outstanding lenses known to man?

To deserve Duclos treatment? http://ducloslenses.com/Duclos_Lenses/PL116.html

Trust me- I REALLY had to squint hard and long to see the 11-16 in that beast!
    shapeimage_22.png
    347 x 230 - 79K
  • @alcomposer - "...is the Tokina 11-16mm one of the most outstanding lenses known to man?"

Once the Tokina 11-16mm has an aperture ring installed, courtesy of Duclos, then yes, very nice:

* Proper focus ring rotation: Yes
  • @LPowell : this is a great thread, and needed.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev any word from Cinematics on their generic CP_2 models, pricing, availability? :-)
  • I have trouble with EF-M43 adapters from eBay.
    I bought 3. Every zoom lens I attached after focusing and then I change zoom became out of focus.
    I tried Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-35.
    A metering ring also shows wrong value of distance. On Canon 5DmkII the lenses work precisely
    Now I'm waiting for another (4th) finally not cheap adapter - Kipon EF-M43 with aperture.
    I hope this one will be the right.
    I have thinking get rid Tokina, it was useless for me.
    I glad to read here that folks use zoom lens without problems.
    May be with Kipon adapter I will lucky.
  • I hope the Kipon will work for you. If not, try Novoflex (German) or MTF (British). Much more expensive – and much more precise.
  • Hi @LPowell,
    (I've seen video of this lens on a Phantom! This one is 'totally' on my to get list. Just the way it is! (Nikon G -> m43...)
  • Anyone have notes on fast wide angle lenses with non-extending front elements?
    (<50mm)
  • Minolta MD VFC 24mm 1:2.8 extends only by 3mm and has excellent optical quality. But it ain't cheap any more these days.
  • I just got a helios 44-2 (58mm f2), and I love it so far. I heard that on these lenses oil on the aperture blades also isn't an issue, as many soviet lenses came from the factory that way. Anyways:
    Manual aperture ring: yes (very cool 2 ring system, allows you to open the lens and have a completely step less aperture if you wish)
    direct couple focus ring: yes
    proper focus ring rotation: counter-clockwise to infinity
    non-rotating outer barrel: yes
    non-extending outer barrel: no, extends about 1cm, maybe a little under (just from eyeballing it)
    constant field of view: no, appears to zoom out slightly when focussed towards infinity, thought I haven't tested this thoroughly
  • So, let's compare these to a set of cine primes... I use Lomo OCT-19 primes. Believe it or not, not even real cine primes perform 100% on this!

* Manual aperture ring: Yes and without click stops.
    * Direct-coupled focus ring: Of course. With distance marks that are correct.
    * Proper focus ring rotation: Counter-clockwise.
    * Non-rotating outer barrel (internal focus): Yes. The barrel does rotate when adjusting the aperature though (like on Zeiss Superspeeds).
    * Non-extending outer barrel (internal focus): No, same with Zeiss Superspeeds. The extension is very minor though.
    * Constant field of view: Yes.

As you see, while these are VERY video-friendly, even they lack some features. What you do gain however is:
    * Much better tightness between lens and adapter. Nothing loose here!
    * Large focus throw, for more precise focusing.
    * All marks are located on the side of the lens, allowing your AC (or you) to see them.
    * Correct distance marks.
    * Circular aperature. Bokeh won't be much different when stopping down.
    * Aperature in T-stops.
  • I'm curious what some good video-friendly lenses for the GH2 (or other lumix cams) would be ideal for a Duclos Cine-Mod.... interesting option.

Also @LPowell : can you be a bit more specific about the problem with a lens that has a focus ring that extends in relation to a mattebox? I'm a little new to learning about matteboxes.
  • @qwerty123: Leica R's would be a top contender. Great quality and no breathing! I didn't think I'd mind so much, but breathing has really become a deal breaker for me.

But personally, at that cost I'd just get some Lomos instead.
  • @qwerty123
    A lens whose front barrel extends when either focusing or zooming can be awkward to use with a traditional, rail-mounted matte box. While a small amount of extension can be covered by a donut, an inch or more extension will collide with the back of the matte box.
  • @LPowell So in that case some legacy Nikon AI(s) and Canon FDs would be fine with respect to extension since they extend less than an inch when focusing.

I think two more ideal things in a lens would be: (1) LONG FOCUS THROW and, less importantly, (2) as @Gabel mentions, having the aperature in T-stops.
  • @LPowell... so I shouldn't throw my wide nikon primes out just yet?
  • @alcomposer
    Depends on how well they work for you. Most manual-focus primes are relatively short and compact, with 52-55mm front filter threads. Using them with a follow focus and matte box on 15mm rails can be a tight fit. For my purposes, the Samyang/Rokinon f1.4 primes are a more convenient size.