Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX7 aka GX2, with IBIS topic
  • 499 Replies sorted by
  • Ok, actually in stock, but is or not discontinued?

• I think that it is too early to discontinue the GX7. The G6 is older and it is not discontinued.

• Would be nice if Panasonic replace the Gx7 with upgraded options as the 4K recording and improved stabilization, i really like the GX7 form factor much more than the GH4, but we really don't know if Panasonic will upgrade the Lumix G series beyond the GH4.

• well they did with the GH3!! The GX7 has improved technology over the GH3, so i dont see why they wouldn't do it again with a GX8.

• @xenogears, I agree with you. I prefer the GX7 por size, design, portability but GH4 have more options.

I dream GX8 will be 4K and HDMI usable for record.

• Heat dissipation is a problem when recording 4k - probably it is why the Sony A7s don't record it internally. In the GH4 and FZ1000 the body size helps to more efficient cooling. If Panasonic manages to really make the future LX8 to record 4k (for long periods - in shorts burts some Nikon's 1 do), then there is a possibility for a 4k GX8.

• We shot this music video with my Lumix GX7 after comparing the image quality with other Canon cameras that we had available. Samyang lenses were used with a EF adapter. It's a great camera, the image it's better to work than most of the DSLRs that people are using. Now i got a GH4 :)

• @JLemos very good cinematography and composing...what lights have you used here?

• @JLemos, ho do you monitorizing through a single device or only with EVF?

• @AlbertZ Thanks. We used 3 cheap soft lights (2 rectangular and 1 octagonal) from Linkstar, 1 ring-light from Walimex (like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walimex-Macro-Light-Bracket-Camera/dp/B002M3FGX4) a cheap Meike FC100 led ring-light and a also cheap small Yongnuo YN300. The camera holds up very well in low light and the footage is very nice to work with in post.

@Manu4Vendetta We just used the EVF.

• Hey Lads, Some few street shots from the other day. GX7 plus a 7$ 50mm Rikenon Lens

• @16pads ... i wonder if you used anything for stabilization - cause it looks kind of smooth to me... or is it just because of the slowmo?

• It is all hand held. Slowmo and good body position will do the trick.

• Tomorrow I'll pick my GX7. :)

• Great construccion, better than my GH2 and NEX-5N, heavier than NEX-5N.

Only a think, I dont understand, the loupe mode or rectangle magnifiier for focus has disappeared and I havent touched, I have explored all the menu and dont find it.

DSC02529.jpg
    1200 x 797 - 557K
    DSC02530.jpg
    1200 x 797 - 672K
    DSC02531.jpg
    1200 x 797 - 663K
  • @Manu4Vendetta You find the adjust in the tab with the wrench with the C letter - search for "MF Assist" and set it to the second option (the lens drawing plus "focus").

To activate it with a m4/3 lens (with autofocus), just lock the focus (with half-press shutter) and turn the focus ring with the focus locked; or put the camera in Manual focus and turn the focus ring. The you will see the magnified vision.

With adapted lens, press the back dial to activate focus magnification.

To switch between the full screen and windowed mode, look for an icon in the bottom of the LCD that looks like two rectangles inside each other, when the display is showing the focus magnified image. Touch that icon and it will switch modes.

And to control the amount of magnification (between 3x and 6x), use the dials when the magnified image is being displayed - the back dial changes the magnification in 1x value, and the shutter release dial changes 0.1x

• Shooting impression

• Just got this camera off personal-view.com deals. I like low light performance compared to my good old GH2s but there's one serious limitation I've encountered.

In P mode the camera doesn't allow the shutter speed to go below 1/50. It does so in i-auto mode, however. I shoot mostly stage performances where light goes form pitch black to blinding and I cannot use manual mode for unsupervised cameras in my set. And I-auto doesn't allow to set white balance manually. So the only two evils I'm left to chose from are either to shoot full auto or use A mode with 1/25 shutter. That's a bummer.

A question to G6/GM1 owners: is this the case with your cameras?

Question 2. I cannot figure out how to quit the time lapse mode. If interval is long enough I can press Fn3 button as camera suggests and choose 'End' from pop-up menu. But if I shoot, say, 1 frame per second it's not possible. A have to turn off the camera. Is there a way around it?

• Question for any current GX7 owners... Do you get shadow from the lens in images when using the built in flash? One of my buddies just rented one, and its quite a large shadow being cast at the bottom half of the frame when taking pictures with it. I've searched a few forums and reviews, and have only seen one other person report the issue.

• That happens with pretty much any camera that has a built-in flash if you use a big enough lens. Which lens does your friend have?

• its the 14-42... I've not had this problem with my GM1 or GH2.

• Ah. I don't have that lens to test with, sorry, but you can probably mitigate the problem a bit by zooming in a little bit and/or not using the lens shade (assuming that it is still on).

• Guys, here are some pics to illustrate the problem I described few posts earlier. The GX7 does not allow shutter speeds slower than 1/50 in P mode resulting in 1 stop darker picture than iAuto or M mode with maximum aperture, 1/25 and ISO 3200.

Is this the case with G6/GM1/GH3? Anyone noticed that?

My GH2s are free from that problem. I need one more unattended camera for multicam set. The newer cameras have less noisy sensors but that "don't go slower than 1/50" behavior kills that advantage over GH2 in P mode.

iAuto.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 406K
    M mode 1.8 25 iso3200.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 423K
    P mode.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 372K
  • So switch to A and lock down your aperture.