Personal View site logo
Truly filmic and non filmic cameras flame
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • There was a reason we all stopped using video cameras and went to DSLRs or m43. It was the "look" and the image "quality". If I see a new camera looking "video-ish" I would like to be able to say so without being called a 'troll'.

I wanted to buy a GH4. The whole reason I write this is because I want someone to give me a good reason to trade my GH2 for one. I have not yet seen such "filmic" GH4 footage. Please show me I am wrong.

• In support of AndyS: he's just saying show me the really inspiring gh4 samples. I haven't seen them either

• I know y'all are looking for some good-ol-fashioned-home-grown-organic footage... but I'm looking to start dealing in the state of the art GMO footage. Anyone know where I can find a good quality GMO shooting camera? You know, the kind straight from a test tube?

• @AdamT LOL ;-)

• To be "filmic" you also have to have low resolution, noise, and over-the-top grading.

• Ah. I finally see the problem: Filmic = clips shot on a handheld slider, perhaps with a slight banding on blue skies. I can't recall a GH4 clip showing this either.

• @AndyS also made this comment on that thread Someone posted a "cinematic" Gh4 clip above. Not bad - but not truly "filmic". A lot of grading clearly went into it, and still it does not look truly 'organic' Again @AndyS that cinematic video you discribe was taken with the GH4 and it came straight from the camera with no grading. What you gotta say about that?? Or are you gonna say you didn't say it? Imagine if a lil grading was done to it. You say you are an indie film maker just show only any 30 seconds of any of your indie films to demonstrate film organic look.

• Just keep in mind that Filmic Footage and the Cinematic Look are two related but slightly different things. This will help prevent further circles of confusion, especially when you take into consideration organic skin tone factors.

• In this Personal View thread AndyS mentions that Gh4 footage is not at all filmic:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10202/gh4-4k-panasonic-video-camera-user-reviews-and-opinions/p30

Others disagree. Thankfully, @AndyS gives us an example of Filmic Footage shot on his hacked GF2 here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/54430#Comment_54430

It helps to refer to concrete examples of Filmic Footage to keep the discussion from becoming too theoretical.

• I want a camera that is video-ic, or filmish.

• I'm looking for a camera that's non filmic but still looks organic. Suggestions?