Personal View site logo
Panasonic FZ1000 1", 4K video, superzoom, official topic
  • 297 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Since the camera allegedly uses the GH4 chipset, probably they choose to use a tried and known scheme (the GH4 also uses a 8mp sensor crop for 4k).

• Since Panasonic missed their opportunity to sell me a GH4 in early May, I now have plenty of time to consider other options, like this FZ1000, before the next underwater field trip is due.

The FZ1000 certainly looks interesting, and for the UW-video purpose, I would consider the smaller 1" sensor a good trade-off, as I am interested in deep "depth of field", not shallow ones as so many others.

But two things really bother me about the FZ1000:

• The FZ1000 is bigger and heavier than a GH4 with the pancake zoom lens that I like to use (and there's not much use for "longer telephoto" underwater). From a camera with a fixed lens and a smaller sensor I would have expected smaller dimensions/weight.

• A crop factor of 1.48 in the only usable video mode (4k - as the 1080p modes seem to be crippeled to insufficient bandwidths) is not something I could easily live with.

So for now, I'd still favor the GH4. Well, other companies will react on this competition, and maybe some will realize that neither 4k video nor offering decent bandwidths is really rocket science - so maybe we will soon see more interesting competitors.

Something like a Sony RX100 plus 4k video recording at decent bandwidths could tempt me a lot, if offered.

• I noticed photographyblog has a 4k downloadable sample.

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz1000_photos/

@karl...wait a month....the LX8 is coming mid-july. There's a thread.

• @karl you should take a look at upcoming LX8

• Looks like a cool cam with a lot of good features. Anybody know how the crop factor works out on this?

• No touch screen is a real shame.... I was so close to giving this a go. Maybe another year will see a updated version

• Yeah, no touchscreen is a bummer - but not a dealbreaker, the camera have plenty of manual controls.

• The real shame is , and I just downloaded the footage provide by Vitaliy of the hc-v750, why pany didn't include a 50mbps mp4 codec for fhd. You can bet sony will have xavc-s on their rx10mkll ! Pany could have skip-jumped the competition by including a higher bitrate codec imho !

• FZ1000 vs GH4

• 240 @ 720p with a zoom! OMG I am so excited! I've been looking for a replacement for the Casio EX-F1 Pro for years. I can't understand why more people are not excited about high speed video. I shot sports video for years with my Casio at 300fps pretty low res with lots of restrictions and it was awesome. The ability to analyze a fight at high speed amd see all the little wobbles and impacts and subtle body motions is priceless. 240 is just enough (300 was slightly more than needed) and 720p is 4 times the resolution I had. Nevermind the low bitrate. The frame to frame changes at that speed are small so compression is less of anissue (unless you shoot a waterfall). Even image stabilization is kind of irrelevant because hand shake slows down into a floating flycam type effect anyway. I love this!

• @Leto

The quality will certainly be lower than what the regular modes offer. the 1080p 120 is already quite aliased and soft compared to the regular mode so the 720p might be even more diced. Will it be better than an EX F1? Sure thing that camera's codec and resolution has been surpassed for years.

• Leto - please post a link where you found a 720p slow motion video ? Currently I have only found some shitty video showing a flower in 100fps ( made by "expert reviews" ).

Does the stabilization work in slow motion mode ? Does the autofocus / manual focus work in slow motion mode ?

Regards

• Early reports are saying p120 and p240 is a bit compromised: http://hispeedcams.com/tag/speed/

• In the "expert reviews" flower slo-motion demo you can clearly see the presence of additional alliasing.

Still the FZ-1000 is very interesting camera, but not so "compact" as panasonic claims - there are at least two cameras on the market, that offer similar zoom range, but bigger sensor and better performance, while maintaining similar or smaller size and weight. The first one is Pana G6 with 14-140mm ( 28-280) f.3.5-5.6 and the second one is the Sony A600 with Tamron 16-300mm (24-450) f.3.5-6.3. Each of them offers 50/60fps in full hd, but not the 4K video recording, nor super slow motion mode.

• SHAME on PANA for no 50mbit 1080p

• Sounds like a very good Wedding Video camera IMO.

• I would agree....the zoom range with one inch sensor is perfect. Image quality only has to be on par with their handy cams to make this a great option for filming events. As long as ISO can be pushed to 1600 - 2000 and still hold up it will be a winner

• @jamesgh2

The link you posted FZ1000 VS GH4 is a fake. This guy has all kinds of tests of supposedly of different cameras. Yet the depth of field is the same as well as the field of view on the tests. Cameras with different sized sensors will give you a different depth of field and field of view. Just a heads up in case people are actually comparing.

• anyone knows yet which SD card we will need for this cam? I pre-ordered mine at Adorama, the GH4 was delivered from the US to Germany in 3 days!!!

• Does the Camera Store describe a pre-production model, or production-ready one ? The lowlight video noise looks very dissapointing... I hope Panasonic fix this.

• @wielkiczarnyafgan: Don´t forget - It´s just a 1" sensor. Btw.: They are primarily testing production models (as far as I know).