Personal View site logo
Olympus OM-D E-M1 topic
  • 193 Replies sorted by
  • We shall see. Maybe the association with Sony will bear fruit. Or maybe not.

• I think that will be some video updates - Olympus said in some interviews that will give some attention for the video part from now on. But 4k is very unlikely.

• I don't believe it. They will add new AF mode or something, but definitely nothing related to just video.

• I doubt it, specially the 4k part. But 1080p24 with better quality and higher bitrates would be enough to make me consider one.

• A winter weekend in Dunedin, NZ.

• One week in and around Dunedin, New Zealand with an E-M1

• Don't take it too serious. Clip made as remake of another clip found by client. All at 29.97p. Just 1st landscape graded. Part of carting shoot with iA mode with Lumix 35-100 and 12-35mm.

• @zigizigi it was completely handheld. Just spontaneous shot on beer weekend festival.

• @act Was this shot handheld or you had some sort of a rig, shoulder support etc?

• Nokton 25mm F0.95 (@0.95-1.4)

• E-M1 goes anamorphic reggae party :

The OM-D E-M1 and the X-T1 are certainly the two best mirrorless cameras to date along with the Panasonic GH4. Both cameras can be used for professional work as they feature great image quality and very high quality lenses.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2014/07/08/a-game-of-mirrorless-thrones-olympus-om-d-e-m1-vs-fujifilm-x-t1/

sample14.jpg
    800 x 499 - 81K
  • One downside with the E-M1 is manual control for video is only available in the movie mode, and the movie mode disables a few useful features like focus peaking pre-shot, highlight/shadow alerts, the super control panel and one touch WB (although you can always quickly switch to a photo mode to set custom WB and then switch back, so not too bad). This may already be well known but exposure lock does work for video when in 'photo' aperture/shutter priority mode, which can be helpful in some situations. It seems low iso (100) does not work in video even if this is locked in with AEL, and the camera just bumps you to iso 200 and adjusts shutter speed to compensate so best to avoid this.

• Have been having fun testing the stabilisation of my E-M1 and seeing what I can get away with -it is really amazing. Here is a quick test of some longer shots with minimal or no post-stabilisation added.

Password: em1

I am surprised the E-M1 isn't used more widely for solo run and gun and travel-documentary type work, especially when the end product is mainly being viewed online. Sure its only 30p and 24Mbit but it makes almost all of your shots usable and is invaluable when shooting from moving cars without rigs etc.

• Depends what you call pro. If you are in a situation where a rig is no option, then an OMD shines. Hand held manual focus with any lens you want. I have seen some utterly amazing work done with Olympus cameras, some examples: The work of Seb Farges: https://vimeo.com/sebfarges/videos

For news work it can also be very handy.

Even professional video is more than sharpness alone. For most work you would not take an OMD, but to say that you can not use one professionally is a bridge to far IMHO.

Regards,

Merijn

• according to all internet video sites Olympus can't make professional video. Do you believe anyone there has ever tried make pro video with OMD's? I don't think so. Most video tests of Olympus made by still photographers, that have not enough video skill. They make video test just because it always interesting try and compare with camera they know only for photos, just because 1st of all Olympus is photo-camera. They use video mode with autofocus, or auto-exposing, with default sharpness and picture styles. Tests make people, most of them not professional photographers or videographers, profi starts with Mark3, isn't it?

• according to dpreview, video image quality of EM1 sucks.

• Thank you, @mat33! OMD video is underrated. I upgraded from EM5 to EM1, waiting for deliver. Just needed new fresh body for new wedding season. One thing was really disturbed me - weak record button at EM5. Excited to check new AF-C.

• Just finished the first weekend with my new EM-1, which I purchased for video use. I'm not a pro but an enthusiast. I am using it with various contax zeiss lenses + speedbooster, and I have a GH3 which I am planning on keeping as a 2nd cam. I has spent some time deliberating about whether to get a GH4 and jump on the 4K bandwagon or to go with EM-1 for the stabilisation. I have been inspired by Vadim's great footage and advice with the EM-5, and EosHD's positive review of the EM-1. In the end, olympus had a good deal in NZ, where I could get the EM-1 for ~half of a new GH4 so decided to take the plunge, 30p and all.

First impressions are:

• 5 axis stabilisation is really amazing and completely changes the way you shoot. I had read lots about how great it is, and it turned out to be even better than I imagined.
    • Olympus out of camera colour and skin tones are great, much much much better than GH3.
    • Dynamic range is really impressive.
    • Rear LCD and viewfinder are great. I had some difficulty consistently nailing focus with GH3 viewfinder and its well reported issues. EM-1 is miles better and no need for external monitor.
    • Nice feel in hand. The handgrip is a good size for a secure hold (similar to GH3), and good button placement etc.
    • Digital teleconverter is great. So far I have noticed it is a little bit softer than normal image and more noise at high ISO as expected but really nice to be able to select the exact location and initiate while shooting. Makes run and gun with a fast prime much easier when you need to punch in for a quick close-up or an unexpected candid shot if at lower ISO.
    • Codec better than expected. Haven't noticed to much break-up yet although haven't really stressed it so far.
    • 1/50 or 1/100 shutter solved any flickering issues in PAL land in a fairly tough situation with lots of fluorescent lighting.

So far I am very impressed; the stabilisation, colour, and skin tones make dealing with 30p worth it! Will spend some more time the camera and see how it pans out once everything sinks in and the 'new purchase' goggles come off.

• 24p and a bit rate bump would make this camera revolutionary.

Instead they focus on giving me the ability to apply art filters from my iPhone. Yay.

I know, I know...filmmakers are a tiny market share, this all makes sense from a corporate strategy perspective, etc.

• New firmware

Version 1.4

• Improved remote control functionality when using the Olympus Image Share app.* (Art Filter mode, custom self timer, zoom operation when using electric zoom lenses, digital tele-converter and cable remote release mode)
    • AF response when using Four Thirds lenses has been improved
    • Stabilization when shooting in C-AF mode has been improved